Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lexham Old Testament

Hey David,

Yes, my friend did have a sense of humor about it. I guess he had no choice though, since I was laughing so hard at the time. Neither of us said anything about it to the sales rep's bosses, so he never lost his job over it. But it was a priceless memory for me. I've told that story numerous times and it never fails to crack people up. My ministry colleague set himself up for that remark, I guess.

I hope your sister gets a chuckle out of it. Sounds like her book would be interesting. I've always enjoyed spending time in Lancaster, PA. So the Amish have always been of interest to me.

Irving

I am going to take my hand at converting the Lexham English Bible. I am posting this here so I won't lose my notes on what I am trying to do as well as provide others a starting point just in case I can't get it done. If I successfully convert the file I will revise and correct the below notes. The Biblework's instructions for importing a Bible translation and it seems relatively straightforward. With a caveat: The LEB notes may be a hangup but I am going to try changing those from <note: > to {note: } and hope that works. The other "hurdle" is all the book names and chapter headings need to be removed which is more of a time & elbow grease issue This will be a particular issue as some verses/note go onto a second line so this will need a manual repair. I am going to use NotePad+ so that will do a lot of find/replace and empty line space removal.

Thanks to the Unofficial Blog for the NT conversion and tips http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/?cat=40

I will let others know how this goes, but after reading the material this is the approach I will try first--any issues please pipe in before I spend too much time making silly mistakes

-----------
    BW Importing Rules
    -----------

1. One verse for each line.
    http://www.bibleworks.com/bw9help/bwh37_VDC.htm

2. No spaces between lines.
    http://www.bibleworks.com/bw9help/bwh37_VDC.htm

3. Must use the Bibleworks naming convention.
    http://www.bibleworks.com/bw9help/bw...eAbbreviations

-----------
    LEB Special Format Conversion
    -----------

LEB.txt source markup:

{idioms}

[supplies words]

<note:>

Target markup for compatability:

==================================================
    WHAT SOURCE TARGET
    --------------------------------------------------
    Book Names Ge 1:12 GEN 1:12
    Idioms {idiom} idiom
    Notes <note:> {note:}
    Supplied words
    ==================================================

-----------
    LEB Example
    -----------

RAW INPUT

Ge 1:11 And God said, "Let the earth produce green plants [that will] bear seed--fruit trees bearing fruit {in which there is seed}<note: Literally "which its seed [is] in it">--according to its<note: Or "their"> kind, on the earth." And it was so.

TARGET OUTPUT

GEN 1:11 And God said, "Let the earth produce green plants [that will] bear seed--fruit trees bearing fruit in which there is seed {note: Literally "which its seed [is] in it"}--according to its{note: Or "their"} kind, on the earth." And it was so.

-----------
    Process
    -----------

Step 1. Remove introductory material.

Step 2. Remove all book headings. TIP: Search for a long series of dashes to find each section.

Step 3. Remove all chapter headings. TIP: FIND/REPLACE with a blank space.

Step 4. Remove all blank lines. TIP: Notepad+ has an auto feature for this.

Step 5. Convert markup. TIP: FIND/REPLACE.

Supplied words are inbrackets in the LEB raw text like this: [supplied words]

The BW instructions indicate you can italicize with <i></i> but also notes [] work so I won't changes those at this time.

Ps. Be careful with Isaiah (Is-to-ISA) and Song of Songs (So-to-SOL) as find and replace can alter the main text.

Not sure what to do with all the Psalm titles, e.g.

Ps 138:title Of David.<note: The Hebrew Bible counts the superscription as the first verse of the psalm>
    Ps 138:1 I give you thanks with my whole heart; before [the] gods I sing your praise.
    Ps 138:2 I bow down toward your holy temple and give thanks to your name, because of your loyal love and faithfulness, for you have magnified your word<note: Or "promise"> according to all your name.<note: Or "beyond all your name">
    Last edited by Joshua Luna; 12-26-2013 at 12:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Luna View Post
    Not sure what to do with all the Psalm titles, e.g.

Ps 138:title Of David.<note: The Hebrew Bible counts the superscription as the first verse of the psalm>
    Ps 138:1 I give you thanks with my whole heart; before [the] gods I sing your praise.
    Ps 138:2 I bow down toward your holy temple and give thanks to your name, because of your loyal love and faithfulness, for you have magnified your word<note: Or "promise"> according to all your name.<note: Or "beyond all your name">
    Put the information for "Ps 138:title" after Psa 138:1 before the actual (English) verse 1. That is what most versions do. You may wish to put the titles in square brackets [] to distinguish between the title and the first verse. This would put everything in the "title" in italics.
    Mark Eddy