Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lexham Old Testament

Still no Lexham Bible in BW.

Looks like it would be easy enough for BW to acquire, if I'm reading this right.

'Tain't perfect, but any non-cultic translation that doesn't secret-code "Yahweh" gets at least fourteen bonus points with me, going in.
    Dan Phillips
    Books:Web presence:
    tfo+[]l;w> hw"hy> tr:AT-ta, vArd>li Abb'l. !ykihe ar"z>[, yKi

s `jP'(v.miW qxo laer"f.yIB. dMel;l.W

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Phillips View Post
    Still no Lexham Bible in BW.

Looks like it would be easy enough for BW to acquire, if I'm reading this right.

'Tain't perfect, but any non-cultic translation that doesn't secret-code "Yahweh" gets at least fourteen bonus points with me, going in.
    The text is freely available, so you need to get working on putting in BW. I think I can confidently say BW themselves will never put it in their program. This line in their license is somewhat of a poison pill

If you give away the LEB for use with a commercial product, or sell a work containing more than 1,000 verses from the LEB, you must annually report the number of units sold, distributed, and/or downloaded.
    In business terms it means BW would have to report their sales figures to Logos. In the business world that's a non-starter.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default Re: Lexham Old Testament

The whole Lexham Bible is available as a free text file download.

I'm a software engineer, and tried an experiment with it. I wrote a small C++ program that extracts the lines from the text file, and puts them in a standard form like this:

Gen 1:1 In the beginning ...

This the same as the export format for the BibleWorks version that I have.

I noticed a few things along the way. One is that the LEB omits around 20 verses relative to the KJV, and adds two (3 John 1:15 and Revelation 12:18). It's possible to synch up the versions in various ways, for example by inserting dummy verses for those that are omitted.

Another thing is that the leadin to some of the Psalms ("for the music director") are treated as separate from the first verse, and I have not tried to merge them in.

Another point is that the text version uses embedded notes, like this:

Gen 1:2 Now<note: Or "And"> the earth was formless and empty, and darkness [was] over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God [was] hovering over the surface of the waters.

Quote Originally Posted by EzekielNine View Post
    The whole Lexham Bible is available as a free text file download.

I'm a software engineer, and tried an experiment with it. I wrote a small C++ program that extracts the lines from the text file, and puts them in a standard form like this:

Gen 1:1 In the beginning ...

This the same as the export format for the BibleWorks version that I have.

I noticed a few things along the way. One is that the LEB omits around 20 verses relative to the KJV, and adds two (3 John 1:15 and Revelation 12:18). It's possible to synch up the versions in various ways, for example by inserting dummy verses for those that are omitted.
    There is no need to add any "dummy verses" for BibleWork. The Version Database Compiler will automatically add any such verses which are needed. I suspect that many of these verses are missing from the Nestle/Aland Greek N.T. but were in the Textus Receptus. Also the verse map files for BibleWorks allow multiple verses to display together, if necessary. In the cases of 3Jo 1:15 and Rev 12:18 this is not necessary, since the Greek Bible contains those verses. So the Lexham Bible will display properly without any additions to the verse map file.

Another thing is that the leadin to some of the Psalms ("for the music director") are treated as separate from the first verse, and I have not tried to merge them in.
    Again, you do not need to do this. The Hebrew Bible usually has separate verses for these headings of the Psalms. So when you compile this version, it will automatically display with the correct Hebrew verse. And other English versions have already been "mapped" to display their verse 1 with the Hebrew verses 1 & 2. If these headings do not have a verse number in front of them, after compiling they either will not display at all, or they will display as the end of the previous Psalm. Either case would be easy to fix.

Another point is that the text version uses embedded notes, like this:

Gen 1:2 Now<note: Or "And"> the earth was formless and empty, and darkness [was] over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God [was] hovering over the surface of the waters.
    BibleWorks can handle such notes in the Version Database Compiler. However, it has very specific syntax for these notes to be read correctly. E.g. <note: Or "And"> in BibleWorks would have to be typed <N1> after the word "Now." And at the end of the verse you would need: {<sup>1</sup> Or "And"}
    All the information you need to do this is included in the BibleWorks Help chapter for the Version Database Compiler.
    Mark Eddy
    Last edited by Mark Eddy; 01-09-2013 at 08:28 PM.

So you brainiacs let me know when there's a file ready for idiots, with accompanying idiot-instructions, to put into BW.
    Dan Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Phillips View Post
    So you brainiacs let me know when there's a file ready for idiots, with accompanying idiot-instructions, to put into BW.
    And here I thought that the goal was to have Idiot-proof instructions.

--Jim

Beggars can't be choosers. Idiots, either.

Dan Phillips

Which reminds me of a funny story. Back in the early 1990s, when everybody started getting their own personal computer, a ton of "How-to" computing primers suddenly started flooding the market. I remember going with a ministry colleague of mine into a Staples store and perusing their book rack. My friend noticed two different books. One was "Windows For Dummies." The other was "The Idiots Guide to Windows." He was thumbing through each and couldn't decide which he should get. Finally, he flagged down a sales representative and asked him "Excuse me, but which of these two books would be better for me?" At that point, the sales rep took a long, deliberate glance at my friend and finally answered: "You look more like an idiot to me."

Quote Originally Posted by isalzman View Post
    which reminds me of a funny story. Back in the early 1990s, when everybody started getting their own personal computer, a ton of "how-to" computing primers suddenly started flooding the market. I remember going with a ministry colleague of mine into a staples store and perusing their book rack. My friend noticed two different books. One was "windows for dummies." the other was "the idiots guide to windows." he was thumbing through each and couldn't decide which he should get. Finally, he flagged down a sales representative and asked him "excuse me, but which of these two books would be better for me?" at that point, the sales rep took a long, deliberate glance at my friend and finally answered: "you look more like an idiot to me."
    lol!!!!!!!!
    David Spear
    Calvary Chapel of Manassas
    Manassas, Va. 20110
    http://www.calvarychapelmanassas.org/
    KJV Romans 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without (apart from) the deeds of the law.

Well, of all the ways for a person to lose their job, that would be one of the more enjoyable. It's good that your colleague had a sense of humor about it; at least I hope he did!

BTW, I sent this little story to my sister who wrote The Complete Idiot's Guide to Understanding the Amish. She'll get a kick out of it.
    Last edited by DavidR; 01-15-2013 at 05:21 PM.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia