Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using the new forums: Making a transition between the listserv and forums

Default Using the new forums: Making a transition between the listserv and forums

What is a post?

A post is just a message that you publish to the forums. It is similar to an email message.

What is a thread?

A thread is a number of posts on the same subject. With email, this is similar to a string of emails generated when people send email reponses to a given email message.

How can I get email notification when people post to the forums?

You can subscribe to a thread in all of the forums. When you are subscribed to a thread, you can do several things:
    1. Receive email whenever a new post is made to the thread.
    2. View all subscribed threads (Log in, go to the "User CP" on the toolbar of the forum, select "List subscriptions")
    There are different ways to subscribe to a thread:
    1. If you post a new thread or reply to an existing one, there is a control at the bottom of the editor that lets you subscribe.
    2. To set your default mode to be "subscribe to thread after posting", go to the "User CP" on the toolbar of the forums and select "Edit Options". There you can customize your account's default behavior.
    3. If you are just reading a thread, you can choose "Thread Tools" at the top of the message and select "Subscribe to this thread".
    How do I subscribe to an entire forum?
    In addition, you can subscribe to an entire forum: Click on the forum to which you want to subscribe. When it lists the various threads in that forum, there will be a "Forum Tools" button at the top. Select the option entitled "Subscribe to this forum".

If you click on "User CP" in the forum menu, it will show your personal control panel (CP). From here you can view your current subscriptions.

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by MTan; 04-01-2004 at 08:33 PM.

Those of you who know how to use forums, please feel free to jump in and add helpful advice for those who are struggling to adjust to this paradigm change.

Thanks!
    Michael
    Last edited by MTan; 04-01-2004 at 08:34 PM.

Lightbulb get a better browser.

Being a bit of a forum junkie I've really come to enjoy the mozilla based browsers because of thier "tabbed" browsing interface, which makes reading forums much easier.
    With Internet Explorer if you want new windows you can shift click and they open but always right on top of where you're working, and before long if you hit a new window for each new thread you want to read - in a heartbeat you can have 30 windows open.

Move to Mozilla or Firefox (my current favorite) and when you find a thread you want to read, centerclick the link and a new tab opens up "under" all the others, so that you can finish reading the page you're on without being interupted. When you're done reading the current page, close it's tab and viola! there's the new tab underneath.

It's better by the way for more than the forums.

Default Keyboard Shortcut

Is there a keyboard shortcut in Firefox for moving from Tab to Tab (like Alt-Tab moves from window to window)? I love Firefox, but I hate having to click from tab to tab. Thanks!

Clay

Quote Originally Posted by onefear
    Is there a keyboard shortcut in Firefox for moving from Tab to Tab
    CTRL-TAB moves from tab to tab.
    But be careful CTRL-W will close the one your on

Thumbs up AvantBrowser rules, too!

I've really come to enjoy AvantBrowser (http://www.avantbrowser.com/). It's sort of an upgrade to Internet Explorer. It has built-in popup blocker, is quite customizable, and runs fast. Plus, it too is tabbed.

I've tried FireFox, and what keeps me from going over the wall is that it doesn't recognize everything IE/AB does and they have no intention of "fixing" that. For instance, when you use the Holman Christian Standard Bible online (http://hcsb.broadmanholman.com/crossmain.asp), FireFox won't handle the notes. I notified them, and they sort of sniffed that the coding wasn't proper, so they wouldn't accommodate it. That's nice for them, I guess... but meanwhile I can't use the site if I stick to FF.

I've never run into anything that AB can't handle.

FWIW,
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by tcblack
    Move to Mozilla or Firefox (my current favorite) and when you find a thread you want to read, centerclick the link and a new tab opens up "under" all the others, so that you can finish reading the page you're on without being interupted. When you're done reading the current page, close it's tab and viola! there's the new tab underneath.
    Thomas,

How do you get these to install? I tried to try Mozilla once, but I couldn't get it to install. I thought I followed the directions, but it just wouldn't run. I am running WinXP Pro on an AMD Athlone 1.16 Ghz system. I thought the installation instructions for Mozilla were pretty lame.

Don Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Don Johnson
    How do you get these to install? I tried to try Mozilla once, but I couldn't get it to install. I thought I followed the directions, but it just wouldn't run. I am running WinXP Pro on an AMD Athlone 1.16 Ghz system. I thought the installation instructions for Mozilla were pretty lame.
    Hi Don,

I'm not Thomas, but I'll jump in anyway. I've used Firefox for quite a while. They have improved their installer over time. It is now an .exe file that works like normal installers. You can download it here (for Windows) here:

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o...xSetup-0.8.exe

There are some helpful extensions that I would recommend, but you could contact me offlist for those.

Paul

Default Ctrl-tab

Quote Originally Posted by tcblack
    CTRL-TAB moves from tab to tab.
    But be careful CTRL-W will close the one your on
    In my Firefox CTRL-TAB creates a new tab. I was wondering if there's a keyboard command that moves me from tab to tab without creating any new ones. Is this customizable in some way or something? Thanks!

Clay

Default Nothing Fancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Johnson
    Thomas,

Nothing fancy Don,
    I just downloaded the installer and ran it, when I installed Mozilla 1.6. After my system crashed due to my own foolishness I reinstalled Winxp and then simply unzipped the Firefox package into the C:\program files\firefox directory and ran the program, it worked from the start.

Make sure your antivirus is turned off, they frequently cause installer issues with all sorts of programs.

Quote Originally Posted by onefear
    In my Firefox CTRL-TAB creates a new tab. I was wondering if there's a keyboard command that moves me from tab to tab without creating any new ones. Is this customizable in some way or something? Thanks!
    Strange, Ctrl-T creates a new tab on my firefox install. AFAIK there's no setting to change it.