Thread: 6 principal parts

Default 6 principal parts

Is there a way to find out all 6 principal parts of any Greek verb in BW ?

Thanks,
    -Andley.

Default 6 principal parts

Check under resources/Greek/MacDonald,Greek Enchiridion/Indices/A verb bank of Principal parts. I do not know if this is what you are looking for, but it is a start. I do not know of a search that could be performed in the BibleWorks main program that would render the results you are asking for.
    Clint Yale

Clint,
    thank you very much !!
    yes, that's a good start point ...
    in the meantime, i'm still wondering if there a lexicon or something that would have a complete listing ...

Thanks again !
    -Andley.

MacDonald's list is pretty extensive, incorporating (according to the notes at the end of it) "All verbs occurring seven times or more combined in the LXX and NT that have at least two principal parts beyond the lexical form (the present tense)," plus a few that have less than seven occurrences. Thus if you were looking for a verb that doesn't happen to occur in biblical Greek seven times or more, or outside the present and one other stem, it wouldn't be listed here.

MacDonald says that his list is based on Bauer-Arndt-Gingrich-Danker and Liddell-Scott, so if you needed parts for a verb not included in his list those would be the places to turn. Both are available in BW for unlock fees.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Default A couple other suggestions

These suggestions do not directly answer your inquiry, but they will get you tons of parsing / forms information related to the Greek Bible.
    If you want all the forms of a verb that appear in the Greek Bible (using BGM) or Greek NT (using BNM):
    • Word List Manager method

1. Clear your search limits
    2. Conduct a search on that word (either by typing in command line using BGM/BNM or right click on the word in the Browse window and search for lemma)
    3. Open the Word List Manager
    4. Click on Load or Generate Word List
    5. Choose BGM or BNM; choose Load highlighted words from last query; choose whether to keep morph codes or not > Create list
      OR, if you want to see the actual forms, use the previous steps but choose BGT or BNT

• Analysis Window method
      1. Click on the Analysis tab
      2. Right click anywhere in that tab and choose the following:
        Name:  bwverbparse.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  146.2 KB
      3. Now when you mouse over a Greek word, go to the bottom of the analysis window and you will see all the forms that occur

• Unbound Bible method

1. Go the Unbound Bible site
    2. Type in the verb you want (using English transliteration)
    3. One more click and you will have charts with all the forms that occur in the NT
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

David and Mark,

thanks for your 'creative' work-around

-Andley
    Tapie, Taiwan.

Andley,

You asked about a resource that lists the principal parts: William Mounce's Morphology of Biblical Greek is a very thorough resources listing (among other things) the principal parts of verbs.

I know this isn't an electronic resource in BW (at least, I don't think it is), but there you are!

I hope this helps!

Shane

Shane,

thanks for the info. I got it from the library, and it is indeed of great help.

Thanks again,
    -Andley.