Thread: Isolating Greek Verbs in a Book?

Default Isolating Greek Verbs in a Book?

I'm doing a Study on the Book of Romans for a class next semester and for part of the class we will have to parse every greek verb in the book. Is there a way that I can Isolate every Greek word so that I can copy to word and then parse on my own? Sounds like a shot in the dark, but Bible works does a lot of cool things and hopefully this is one. Basically instead of going through and picking out every verb on my own from the text, I want to save time and have them extracted from the text already and actually begin working on parsing. Thank you for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by DevinM View Post
    I'm doing a Study on the Book of Romans for a class next semester and for part of the class we will have to parse every greek verb in the book. Is there a way that I can Isolate every Greek word so that I can copy to word and then parse on my own? Sounds like a shot in the dark, but Bible works does a lot of cool things and hopefully this is one. Basically instead of going through and picking out every verb on my own from the text, I want to save time and have them extracted from the text already and actually begin working on parsing. Thank you for your help!
    There are several ways to do what you want, but perhaps the easiest is to use the WLM (Word List Manager)

You find this by going to Tools | Analyzing the Text | Word List Manager

After the WLM opens up, Select Load or generate word list. When this dialog displays, make sure you select the version you want in the combo box, set your search limits, e.g., rom 1, check the first two "keep" boxes (if you want those options) and then click Create list.

I just did this with SCR with Rom 1 as my search limit and it put 315 words in 547 occurences in the list box.

You can do all kinds of manipulation with the WLM. To learn a lot more, make sure your mouse is over the WLM and press the F1 key. This will open the WLM Help section.

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    There are several ways to do what you want, but perhaps the easiest is to use the WLM (Word List Manager)

You find this by going to Tools | Analyzing the Text | Word List Manager

After the WLM opens up, Select Load or generate word list. When this dialog displays, make sure you select the version you want in the combo box, set your search limits, e.g., rom 1, check the first two "keep" boxes (if you want those options) and then click Create list.

I just did this with SCR with Rom 1 as my search limit and it put 315 words in 547 occurences in the list box.

You can do all kinds of manipulation with the WLM. To learn a lot more, make sure your mouse is over the WLM and press the F1 key. This will open the WLM Help section.
    Thanks! That is what I am looking for! One additional question. I used BGM to find all verbs say in Romans 1. However, when they pop up it gives them to me in their lexical form. Is there a way to get the form that is displayed in the text?

Default Here you go...

Clear the command line
    Type BGM and then ENTER to make BGM your search version
    Type "l rom 1" in the command line to limit your search to Romans 1
    Type ".*@v*" to find all the verbs in Romans 1
    Now open the Word List Manager (WLM)
    Click on "Load or Generate Word List"
    Choose BGT as your version (not BGM)
    Choose "Load highlighted words from last query" as your source
    Near the bottom, decide whether you want to keep Greek accents or not.
    Click "Create list"

That will do it. Now you can use File > Export to RTF to create the file you can in Word.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    Clear the command line
    Type BGM and then ENTER to make BGM your search version
    Type "l rom 1" in the command line to limit your search to Romans 1
    Type ".*@v*" to find all the verbs in Romans 1
    Now open the Word List Manager (WLM)
    Click on "Load or Generate Word List"
    Choose BGT as your version (not BGM)
    Choose "Load highlighted words from last query" as your source
    Near the bottom, decide whether you want to keep Greek accents or not.
    Click "Create list"

That will do it. Now you can use File > Export to RTF to create the file you can in Word.
    Excellent! Thank you so much! You have saved me so much work. I am still learning how to use bible so thank you for your help.