Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BW9 browse window and analysis browse tab not synching

Quote Originally Posted by Pastork View Post
    I don't know what you mean when you refer to the "Update Only When Shift Key Depressed on the Analysis tab." Where is this?
    Right mouse click in the analysis window, and you'll see the option available.

As for the rest of your question, I'll have to let someone else handle it.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

Lee has already noted that the ""Update Only When Shift Key Depressed" choice appears when you right click in the analysis tab (not just any tab) in the Analysis Window. But the choice made there controls what happens on other tabs, including the verse tab.

I also see the problem in John 5. Verse 4 is missing in most modern translations; this is a text-critical decision based on the problematic evidence for it in the ancient manuscripts. The problem seems specific to the NET notes in the verse tab (not in the analysis tab). The CNTTS notes in the verse tab sync properly at this point.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

I have my browse window (second column) set up with multiple versions (single verse display) and my analysis window (fourth column) set up with the Browse tab showing a single version (multiple verses). I have checked "Synch browser on mouse change," "Synch browser on verse change," and, "Tab Display Versions Mirror Main Browser Versions."

When I use the up and down arrows on the right hand side of the second column to move between verses, the browse tab synchs just fine (nice!). But when I navigate by putting my cursor somewhere in the main browse window and click up or down (I have it set so that moves verses for me--"Scroll mode") the browse tab does not automatically track with the main browser window.

Any way to fix this that anyone knows of?

Default Browse Tab Synching

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    I just installed my BW9 upgrade from BW8. I love the new ability to split the analysis window into two sets of tabs. I'm having one problem, though. I can't seem to get the main browse window and the Browse tab in the analysis window to synch (i.e., so that when I change verses in the browse window, the corresponding verse also displays at the top of the browse tab in the analysis window). It doesn't matter whether I have the analysis window split in two or not

In the browse tab Options button, I have Synch Browser on Verse Change checked. I've looked for the Synchronize Tab Browser button on the Browse tab header, mentioned in the Help system, but I can't find it.

Perhaps there's some other simple setting I'm overlooking, but I'd appreciate it if someone could point it out to me. Thanks.
    This isn't really a bug. It was just a design decision to have the tab browse window mimic the analysis window behavior with regard to automatic updating. Sometime there are so many configuration options that certain configurations collide. I changed the behavior so that the current behavior only applies to updates when mousing around the main browse window. Otherwise it should now behave as I think you want it to. I hope this works better for you.

God bless,

Mike

Thumbs up Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    This isn't really a bug. It was just a design decision to have the tab browse window mimic the analysis window behavior with regard to automatic updating. Sometime there are so many configuration options that certain configurations collide. I changed the behavior so that the current behavior only applies to updates when mousing around the main browse window. Otherwise it should now behave as I think you want it to. I hope this works better for you.
    Thanks bunches, Mike!

I outlined the actual problem better in this slightly subsequent post, which I would summarize as follows:
    When Update Only When Shift Key Depressed was unchecked in the Analysis tab, then the Browse tab would synch to the Browse Window when I changed verses by clicking the spinners, but when Update Only When Shift Key Depressed (my preference) was checked, the Browse tab would synch to the Browse Window only when I held down Shift and moused over text in the Browse Window. When I changed verses using the drop-down verse list, there was no synch until I clicked the spinners, and when I changed verses using the Command Line, nothing would cause synching.

The problem, thus, was that I wanted to have Update Only When Shift Key Depressed checked and still have synching of the Browse tab to the main Browse Window when I changed a verse, whether by clicking a spinner, using the drop-down list or the command line, or clicking on a different tab in the Search Window. The change you've made produces this behavior, whose main advantage (for me) is that the synching happens, but text in the Analysis tab or Verse tab does not fly all over the place as I move my mouse across the Browse Window and Browse tab. I could prevent that by holding Shift (with Update Only When Shift Key Depressed unchecked), but I find this much easier and more intuitive. It's just so much easier on the eyes and the brain (my eyes and brain, anyway) not to have all that movement in those tabs. And of course all this develops from the great ability in BW 9 to split the Analysis Window and have a Browse tab and an Analysis or Verse tab (or whatever) open side-by-side.

Thanks again, and God bless!
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by AbramKJ View Post
    I have my browse window (second column) set up with multiple versions (single verse display) and my analysis window (fourth column) set up with the Browse tab showing a single version (multiple verses). I have checked "Synch browser on mouse change," "Synch browser on verse change," and, "Tab Display Versions Mirror Main Browser Versions."

When I use the up and down arrows on the right hand side of the second column to move between verses, the browse tab synchs just fine (nice!). But when I navigate by putting my cursor somewhere in the main browse window and click up or down (I have it set so that moves verses for me--"Scroll mode") the browse tab does not automatically track with the main browser window.

Any way to fix this that anyone knows of?
    I'm not quite sure I follow you, AbramKJ. I have the Browse Window and the Browse tab in the Analysis Window set up the same way you do, with the same options checked. I found the "Scroll mode" that you describe by searching the Help system, and was able to change the setting using the somewhat odd Ctrl + Shift + Up Arrow procedure described there. (And thanks -- always great to discover something new you can do with BibleWorks!) But that doesn't seem to have anything to do with "clicking up or down" (i.e., with the mouse). Do you mean pressing the Up or Down Arrow?

Assuming that that's the deal, I find as you do: when I set this Scroll mode and change verses with the arrow keys, it only changes the main Browse Window, not the Analysis Window Browse tab. This is true whether I have Scroll mode set to Synch Mode or Non-Synch Mode, and whether I have Update Only When Shift Key Depressed checked or unchecked in the Analysis Window. This is with the latest update, Version 9.0.010p.1. I agree that it would be handy to have this scrolling synchronized between Browse Window and Browse tab.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia