Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BW9 browse window and analysis browse tab not synching

Hi David,

That is not an error. That is the way that the program is designed. Everything in the Analysis Window is governed by that setting. This does give a lot of flexibility in the program to freeze windows if desired.

I understand that that it does seem contradictory that the Browse Tab has the options to update automatically or not, while the Analysis Tab overrides that functionality. I will send a message to our programmers to see if they can change it so that the Browse Tab is not overriden by the Analysis Tab settings, but I cannot promise that this can be done. But I will make the request.

Until then, you would either have to uncheck the Analysis Tab setting, or hold down the shift key if you have the setting checked.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

For technical support, please contact Customer Support.

Thank you, Glenn. I believe that this is a difference from v. 8, in which I had precisely the functionality I'm describing as being now unavailable: I could have "Update Only When Shift Key Depressed" on the Analysis tab checked, and still have complete synchronization between the Browse tab and the main Browser window.

I understand about wanting to be able to freeze tabs. That much makes sense. But it seems to me that the Browse tab is one that one might want to keep unfrozen while others are frozen. Being able to control it tab-by-tab would be nice, but perhaps too cumbersome. Exempting the Browse tab would be nice. But at any rate, especially since this seems to be new, it would be helpful to have some indication that this setting in the Analysis tab is global for the entire Analysis Window.

Perhaps this change was introduced in conjunction with the new Verse tab, or the ability to split the Analysis Window? I hope it can be adjusted -- I can't believe I'm the only person who liked it that way -- but if not, the new Analysis Window possibilities are certainly enough of an advance to make this tolerable. Just tolerable, though.
    Last edited by DavidR; 12-28-2011 at 11:32 AM.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Default The cost of new features ...

DavidR,

You are right about the different behaviour in BW8. The "Update Only When Shift Key Depressed" setting does not affect Browse synching in BW8.

But the folks at BW added a new feature in BW9, the "Sync Browser on Mouse Change" setting. This new feature is occasionally useful, and on the one occasion that I used it, it was handy to have the "Update Only When ..." setting, to keep the browse window from wildly fluctuating.

Seems to me that since the two modes of synching (Mouse Change based and Verse Change based) are useful in different situations, it would be nice to have Verse Change synching independent of the "Update Only When ..." setting, while retaining that dependance for the Mouse Change synching.

When I first used "Mouse Change" synching I assumed that it was either/or between Mouse and Verse, since they have such different uses; it may be easier to separate their functionality if it were changed to either/or.

--Jim

(By the way, I did notice the synch problem, but didn't pursue it.)

Thanks, Jim, glad I'm not the only one seeing the synch issue.

FWIW, I can't get Synch on Mouse Change to do anything either. Not sure it would have that much usefulness for me anyway.
    Last edited by DavidR; 12-29-2011 at 11:50 AM.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    FWIW, I can't get Synch on Mouse Change to do anything either. Not sure it would have that much usefulness for me anyway.
    Probably the reason you think it isn't working is that you likely have only one verse displayed in the main Browse window, so there is no other verse to Mouse over. Earlier you said:
    Synching will occur only after (1) using the "spin" up and down arrows in the main Browser Window and then (2) holding down Shift while moving the mouse cursor over the text in the main Browser Window.
    The fact that it synchs when you hold shift and use your mouse in the main Browse window indicates that it actually is working for you.

Where I found it useful was when I had the Main Browse window in single-version mode, and the (analysis)browse window in multiple-version mode. I had compiled another version (The Source NT) that I wanted to be able to compare to more other versions than the Parallel function allowed me.

I see the Mouse Change as a secondary usage that should not affect the more common usage with Verse Change (spin buttons).

--Jim
    Last edited by Jim Wert; 12-29-2011 at 01:54 PM.

Thanks, Jim. I do get how Synch on Mouse Movement works now.

This is actually the opposite of how I set things up. I use multiple-version mode in the main Browse Window and single-version mode in the Browse tab of the Analysis Window. That lets me look at multiple versions of a verse in the main Browse Window and at its context in the Browse tab. The new split-Analysis Window feature will now let me see lexical or other information at the same time. I just have to choose whether I want to have that information flashing around whenever I happen to move my mouse over the Browse Window, or else hold shift to get the Analysis Window Browse tab to catch up with the main Browse Window. The former will probably prove more useful, since it lets me change the Browse Window verse in all possible ways and still have the Browse tab keep up. I'll probably just keep something other than the ever-fluttering Analysis tab open in the split section of the Analysis window.

All this is really a testament to the remarkable flexibility of BW in displaying information. I still think it would be great for the Analysis Window to have a stable Analysis tab and automatically synched Browse tab, as in BW8. But if this is all I have to complain about, I really can't be too upset!
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Default Synching: Browse tab, Browser Window, Search Window tabs

I'm reviving this thread to report on what I'm currently seeing in BW 9.0.007p.1 (SH). I have the option Update Only When Shift Key Depressed on the Analysis tab in the Analysis Window unchecked, and in the Browse tab Options button I have selected Synch Browser on Verse Change, Synch Browser on Mouse Change, and Tab Display Versions Mirror Main Browser Versions. I have the Browse tab in the Analysis Window set to Single Version mode, and the main Browser Window set to Multiple-Version mode. The verse displayed in the Browse tab in the Analysis Window synchs with the verse in the main Browser Window when the latter verse is changed by means of the Command Line, the drop-down verse selector, or the "spin" up and down arrows in the main Browser Window.

However, the verse displayed in the Browse tab in the Analysis Window does not update/synch with the verse in the main Browser Window when I switch to a different tab in the Search Window. For instance, I'm comparing the versions of the cleansing of the temple in Mark and in John. (This is not the only BW tool I'm using to do this, but bear with me while I focus on this one.) In tab 2 in the Search Window I have Mark 11:15 displayed in Multiple-Version mode in the Browser window, and Mark 11:15 and following appears in Single-Version mode in the Browse tab in the Analysis window. In tab 3 I have John 2:13 displayed in Multiple-Version mode in the Browser window, but when I switch from tab 2 to tab 3, Mark 11:15 and following still appears in Single-Version mode in the Browse tab in the Analysis window. I can use the Command Line, drop-down verse selector, or "spin" arrows to change the verse in the Browser Window, and then the Browse tab updates/synchs to it, displaying verses in John 2. I can also click the Browse Window Options button in the Browse tab and select Synch With Main Browser Verse Now to accomplish this. But of course if I do this with tab 3 and then go back to tab 2 in the Search Window, I get Mark 11:15 in the Browser Window while John 2:13 and following remains in the Browse tab. This holds true whether or not I have the Analysis Window split into two columns.

I hope that's clear. I can attach screenshots if it's not. My question is, why won't the Browse tab in the Analysis window automatically update/synch with the verse being displayed in the main Browser Window when I switch tabs in the Search Window? It seems like that's the whole point of being able to have Single-Version mode in the Browse tab and Multiple-Version mode in the Browser Window. I assume that BW 9 is working the way it's intended, but this seems like a feature that could definitely be improved.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Default How about cloning?

Hi David, I can't replicate your problem. I'm at 9.0.007r.1 (SH), but I don't think that should make a difference. In the past I've found the extra Browse window to be cantankerous sometimes, doing things similar to what you describe. I have noticed that the ability of the tabs to remember what's in the Analysis pane(s) is not always perfect, or at least sometimes I am surprised by the contents of that pane.

One work-around you might consider is cloning (On the main menu: "Window", "Clone Bibleworks") As I understand the feature, the multiple invocations of BW are just about completely independent of each other. So then you would be switching between copies of the program instead of search tabs.
    When I tried this, it gave me a copy of BW with the same search tabs, but was showing something different in the Analysis Pane. When I displayed the secondary Browse in the Analysis Pane it had very different options in effect than my original session, and insisted in displaying a version that I haven't used in months. But once I got that stuff straightened out it seems to work fine. I don't think you can save what you have done in the cloned session, which may be a problem.
    I suspect that the whole clone ability is left over from the pre-tabs era.

One other suggestion -- you might try starting up BW with the Trouble-Shooting Options (holding shift down while starting), and have it Rebuild Version Data in an attempt to clean up the environment.

--Jim

(Aren't you glad that I dealt with your question, restraining my impulse to ask why in the world you don't use "Parallel Versions Window" instead? (Actually, I expect this is one of the other BW tools you allude to.))

Thanks, Jim. I think the cloning would probably be too awkward. I did just try figuring out what would trigger the Synch Browser on Mouse Change feature, which I do have checked in Browse Window options on the Browse tab in the Analysis Window. Turns out that with multiple-version mode in the main Browse Window and single-version mode in the Browse tab of the Analysis Window, if I change Search Window tabs and then first single-click in the Browse Window, then move the mouse slightly, the Browse tab will synch. This is less onerous by far than changing the displayed verse to get a synch to happen.

I am actually using the synopsis tool for most of the comparisons. In fact, I took a complete Aland NRS+GNT gospel synopsis and edited it by deleting everything that wasn't related to the temple "cleansing," then saving it under a new name. This gives me a compact synopsis of only the relevant passages. But I still like having both stories up in the main BW window, which gives better access to searching and of course all those Analysis Window resources.

------------------------------

OK, here's a PS and Whaaa?: For some undeterminable reason, BW just started doing exactly as I wanted it to do (and actually thought it once had done): when I have different texts open in different Search Window tabs and go from tab to tab, when the new text displays in the main Browser Window the Browse tab in the Analysis Window updates/synchs to it. I am not going to question this. I will leave it under the heading of when it works, it works, and when it doesn't, I can get around it. Whew.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

I don't know what you mean when you refer to the "Update Only When Shift Key Depressed on the Analysis tab." Where is this?

I have noticed a syncing problem with BW9 as well. For example, when I have the Verse tab selected, it doesn't sync up properly with the verse in the main window. It seems always to be one verse behind. So, for example, when I have the NET Bible selcted in the dropdown menu of the Verse tab, and I select John 5:16 in the drop-down menu of the main window, it will show me the notes for John 5:17 in the Verse tab, despite the fact that there are notes for John 5:16. I just have to back up to it to see it.

Actually, as I examine the problem more, it isn't doing it with every book or chapter. It just so happens that there are no notes for John 5:4 in the Net Bible, so I have found that it works fine through verse 3, but then after that it is a verse behind. when I select verse 4, I get the notes for 5, when I select verse 5, I get the notes for 6, and so on. So this appears just to be a bug with at least this chapter of John in the NET Bible notes. I haven't checked whether there are any similar instances with other chapters in John or with chapters of other books when there happens to be no notes for a verse in a particular chapter.

At any rate, this doesn't seem to be the same problem you are having. I probabaly need to submit it to the good folks at BibleWorks so they can fix it in the future though.