Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BW9 browse window and analysis browse tab not synching

Default BW9 browse window and analysis browse tab not synching

I just installed my BW9 upgrade from BW8. I love the new ability to split the analysis window into two sets of tabs. I'm having one problem, though. I can't seem to get the main browse window and the Browse tab in the analysis window to synch (i.e., so that when I change verses in the browse window, the corresponding verse also displays at the top of the browse tab in the analysis window). It doesn't matter whether I have the analysis window split in two or not

In the browse tab Options button, I have Synch Browser on Verse Change checked. I've looked for the Synchronize Tab Browser button on the Browse tab header, mentioned in the Help system, but I can't find it.

Perhaps there's some other simple setting I'm overlooking, but I'd appreciate it if someone could point it out to me. Thanks.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    ...In the browse tab Options button, I have Synch Browser on Verse Change checked. I've looked for the Synchronize Tab Browser button on the Browse tab header, mentioned in the Help system, but I can't find it. Perhaps there's some other simple setting I'm overlooking, but I'd appreciate it if someone could point it out to me. Thanks.
    Okay, give this a try...
    Name:  Browse Window Options Pic one.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  365.0 KB

Name:  Browse Window Options Pic two.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  237.2 KB
    Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/

Thanks. I tried that (and the other two Tab Version settings), and it seems to make no difference.

Experimentation shows this: When I go to the Analysis tab and uncheck Update Only When Shift Key Depressed, then the Browse tab synchs to the Browse Window when I change the Browse Window verse by clicking the up and down navigation arrows (or whatever they're properly called). When I check Update Only When Shift Key Depressed in the Analysis tab (my actual preference), then this synching does not occur, and the Browse tab synchs to the Browse Window when and only when I hold down Shift and move the mouse over any text in the Browse Window.

When I change the verse by using the drop-down verse list, there is no synching until I click the up or down arrow. When I change the verse using the command line, nothing will cause synching at all, not even clicking the navigation arrows.

This is very different behavior from BW8, and in my opinion very undesirable. I hope that this is something that can be fixed in an update. But are you seeing normal verse synching behavior?
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Default http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=27019

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    ... But are you seeing normal verse synching behavior?
    Yes, it appears to be working as it should for me.
    I am currently using BibleWorks Version 9.0.005f.1(SH)

If neither the Synch Browser on Mouse change & the Synch Browers on Verse change option make a difference for you, you should probably call for tech support.
    You can send a request for support at the following Link
    Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bkMitchell View Post
    Yes, it appears to be working as it should for me.
    I am currently using BibleWorks Version 9.0.005f.1(SH)

If neither the Synch Browser on Mouse change & the Synch Browers on Verse change option make a difference for you, you should probably call for tech support.
    You can send a request for support at the following Link
    Yeah, it looks like I'd better do that I'm on Version 9.0.006q.l (SH), the result of a new installation and an immediate update. If I were you, I wouldn't update till this is resolved.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Hi David,

I am unable to reproduce the problem that you are experiencing. The syncing works properly whether I use the Command Line, the drop-down verse selection, or the spin buttons in the Browse Window.

In the Browse Tab I have checked the following settings:
    -- Sync Browser on Mouse Change
    -- Sync Browser on Verse Change
    -- Tab Display Versions Mirror Main Browser Versions

If these settings do not work for you, then I suggest closing BibleWorks, then renaming the bw900.ini, then restart BW. This main restore the proper functionality for you. If not, then I suggest contacting Customer Support.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

For technical support, please contact Customer Support.

Thanks, Glenn. Those were also the settings I was using.

I did as you suggest, deleting bw900.ini, and synching then worked as it should. I then tried using the migration tool to recover some of my customized settings. I found that migrating everything in the "Safe" section plus copying context (swc) files left me with proper synching and some of my customizations, but not search favorites or parallel favorites. When I then did another migration, selecting only "Transfer main INI file (bw700.ini) option settings where possible," I got those favorites, but synching quit working. I'll experiment a bit more with manually adding favorites to the .ini file; but I may end up having to recreate them manually within the program.

I did send a message to tech support yesterday. Just now I went through two ini files, one with synch working and one with it not working, and isolated the differing lines. Would it be useful to send these differences to tech support, or attach them to a post here?
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Hi David,

I'm glad that you were able to get it working, though you might have to add some of your favorites in the program manually.

It would be best to send the differences between the ini files to customer service. They would best be able to use that info to troubleshoot the migration tool.

Thanks!
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

For technical support, please contact Customer Support.

Thumbs up OK now

Very carefully, using duplicate files to preserve what I knew was working, I copied the lines for my favorites and parallel favorites from bw800.ini to the Windows clipboard and pasted them into bw900.ini. I do not recommend this to the uninitiated, but I've done this sort of thing with other programs (and earlier versions of BW). As a result, I now have BW9 working, synchronizing just fine, and my customizations in place. Thanks for your help, Glenn. I've heard from customer service, and I'll send them the good and bad ini files to look at, to see what may have gone wrong in the migration.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Thumbs down Oops

Well, I spoke too soon. I just discovered that all the success I was having was with Update Only When Shift Key Depressed on the Analysis tab in the Analysis Window unchecked. As soon as I checked it, the failure to synch the Analysis Window Browse tab with the main Browser Window reappeared. Moreover, I now discover that this happens even after I delete bw900.ini and restart the program.

I've sent tech support another bw900.ini file, created by the program after deleting the one I had and restarting. But I'm coming to doubt that the problem lies there.

Just to restate the issue simply, using BW Version 9.0.006q.l (SH), with the option Update Only When Shift Key Depressed on the Analysis tab in the Analysis Window checked, the Analysis Window Browse tab does not synch with the main Browser Window, even though in the Browse tab Options button I have selected Synch Browser on Verse Change, Synch Browser on Mouse Change, and Tab Display Versions Mirror Main Browser Versions. Synching will occur only after (1) using the "spin" up and down arrows in the main Browser Window and then (2) holding down Shift while moving the mouse cursor over the text in the main Browser Window.

Is no one else seeing this with this version of BW9?

At this point, I've gone ahead and started with a fresh bw900.ini file, used the migration tool to bring in my customizations, and accepted that for awhile at least I will have to live with the unchecked Update Only When Shift Key Depressed on the Analysis tab, and the unpleasant display that this produces if the Analysis tab is showing.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia