Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do I have to buy a Windows Program in order to make Parallels work on my mac

You offer us an arm, we'll take a leg . . .

I'm checking out Crossover too! Might even, finally, place an order for BW 9 this week.

Thank you, Mike!
    I joined the forum today, just to say thank you for planning support of running Bibleworks under Crossover. I am willing to purchase Crossover (have used it in the past) when you can make Bibleworks run 100% under Crossover.

I love Linux, and I have switched to running Windows (which I really don't like at all) so I can run Bibleworks. In fact the only programs that I run on Windows that I can't run under Linux are Bibleworks and Glo Bible.

Thank you so much to being open to supporting the running of Bibleworks under Crossover, I can't wait to switch back to Linux for my main desktop.

Default Much Needed!

Thanks for sharing your plans to smooth out things on Crossover. As a user of BW for MANY years under Linux I'm very excited about this. I've used BW under Linux using WINE, Crossover Office, and Virtualbox. I would prefer using something like WINE or Crossover Office, because it's much less resource intensive than Virtualbox, but in recent months I've started using the Virtualbox method more and more, simply because more things work under Virtualbox. I would greatly prefer not having to do this. If you need any testers, please contact me. I would be glad to assist.

Adam York

Default Great news

I am considering switching from PC to Mac, and the only reason I've not done it yet is Bibleworks... I wouldn't like to run a virtualized Windows-OS on a Mac to be able to run Bibleworks (a mac system should remain simple, installing a second OS on it is contrary to my understanding of mac). But a solution with crossover (or WineHQ) would be great !

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    Hi All,

Just FYI we are now formally investigating the possibility of officially spporting BibleWorks running on third party emulators on Mac and Linux. So far what we find looks promising. Re the question of this thread, BibleWorks does run under CrossOver, whch does not rquire a Windows license. Crossover is not free but it is not expensive either. It does have some problems, specifically with CHM files, but we are hopeful that we will eventually have a good, supported solution for our Mac and Linux users. I can't give any dates. The best I can do is tell you that this is something that we are now taking seriously.

Mike Bushell
    BibleWorks

Default Great!

This is fantastic news. As of now, Bibleworks is the main reason for keeping Windows as my primary desktop -- I'd switch to Linux in a blink. If BW was fully working on CrossOver, I'd not only buy CrossOver, but also update to the latest BW version (I'm still at BW8) right away.

Can't wait to hear more about this ...

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    Hi All,

Just FYI we are now formally investigating the possibility of officially spporting BibleWorks running on third party emulators on Mac and Linux. So far what we find looks promising. Re the question of this thread, BibleWorks does run under CrossOver, whch does not rquire a Windows license. Crossover is not free but it is not expensive either. It does have some problems, specifically with CHM files, but we are hopeful that we will eventually have a good, supported solution for our Mac and Linux users. I can't give any dates. The best I can do is tell you that this is something that we are now taking seriously.

Mike Bushell
    BibleWorks
    This is great news. CrossOver does have a way of editing Windows extensions to launch with a native Linux program, for example, one should be able to execute "cxoffice/bin/cxwinassoc --bottle BibleWorks --extension .chm /usr/bin/xchm" to have the .chm files open with xCHM. In reality, this does not work when I try it. Otherwise, I do appreciate the changes you have already made. For the first time since I started using BibleWorks, I am able to see the Main Toolbar properly.

Does BibleWorks use a built-in .chm file viewer for help and resource files? Is it calling a Windows .chm file viewer for the purpose? If so, which one? It might help resolve the issue if the viewer can be configured to use the native Linux (or Mac if those users also have the same issue) version.

Post Problem with mouse running bw9 on a new iMac with the cordless mouse

can anyone help me? I just recently purchased a new widescreen iMac OS X Lion version 10.7.3 and just installed BW9 with Parallels and Windows 7 32-bit. BW9 works pretty well, BUT:

the mouse goes scrolls erratically and too fast when I am scrolling in the Context or Words window (in the Analysis section).

Also, when I want to scroll in the Context or Words window, I have to click on that section in order for BW to know that I am switching. It doesn't intuitively know I want to work in that section simply because I hover my mouse over that section (the way it does when I use Accordance in the Mac side. This is frustrating because I don't want to click on the Analysis window because I have to inadvertently click on a word which then automatically runs a search on that word, thus changing the search window results.

Is this a BW issue, a mouse setting issue on Windows 7, or a Parallels issue or something else?

I appreciate anyone who has experienced this obstacle and overcome it who might share how they did it, or even just let me know that I am not the only one, or that your system does not have this problem (running the same systems and version of BW).

Kris

Default The answer to the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Kristofer View Post
    can anyone help me? I just recently purchased a new widescreen iMac OS X Lion version 10.7.3 and just installed BW9 with Parallels and Windows 7 32-bit. BW9 works pretty well, BUT:

the mouse goes scrolls erratically and too fast when I am scrolling in the Context or Words window (in the Analysis section).

Also, when I want to scroll in the Context or Words window, I have to click on that section in order for BW to know that I am switching. It doesn't intuitively know I want to work in that section simply because I hover my mouse over that section (the way it does when I use Accordance in the Mac side. This is frustrating because I don't want to click on the Analysis window because I have to inadvertently click on a word which then automatically runs a search on that word, thus changing the search window results.

Is this a BW issue, a mouse setting issue on Windows 7, or a Parallels issue or something else?

I appreciate anyone who has experienced this obstacle and overcome it who might share how they did it, or even just let me know that I am not the only one, or that your system does not have this problem (running the same systems and version of BW).

Kris
    I think the answer is that BW9- for some reason- does not allow you to just click on the scroll bar to switch dialogue boxes. I tried switching dialogue boxes on sword on the same windows 7 on Parallels on Mac and I don't have to click inside the dialogue boxes to start scrolling in a different box. This deficiency leads to unwanted searches when trying to switch to the Words box or context box in the analysis window. You have to manually scroll by clicking on the scroll bar up/down arrows. You can't use your mouse to scroll unless you don't mind clicking on a word and thus running a search and changing your search results list. Hopefully BW can fix this soon.

Take care.

Default possibly wrong answer

I am having trouble using the mac mouse with windows programs running Parallels and windows 7 also because some dialogue boxes can not be scrolled with a desirable degree of control (not just in BW). I try to scroll up and when I want to hit the brakes so to speak, it just keeps going, then like 5 seconds later, it stops and goes the opposite direction. Has anyone else tackled this problem running windows 7 on mac with parallels?

Default Considering buying a Mac & BibleWorks

Quote Originally Posted by jfidel View Post
    Scott,
    I converted over 3 years ago with no difficulties at all. I bought the Mac with Parallels and XP already installed. At first I thought I would be in the Windows environment quite a bit, but I find the only reason to venture over now is for BW and one other non-Mac bible software program.

The differences in the operating systems are easy to adapt to imho.

Does this answer your question?
    I have a question about using Windows OS on a Mac. One of my reasons for considering converting to a Mac is the decreased possibility of getting a virus, or at least that is what I am being told and am hearing as I do my research. My question is, does having a Windows OS on your Mac open up your Mac to the same issues I find on PC's? I am definitely going to get BibleWorks, but I curious as to whether it is worth the additional cost to get the Mac Pro if I can possibly have the same issues my PC's have had.