Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: Do I have to buy a Windows Program in order to make Parallels work on my mac

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1

    Default Do I have to buy a Windows Program in order to make Parallels work on my mac

    I am about ready to return my Bible works program tomorrow if I discover that I have to buy a Windows program in addition to a Parallels program. Do I have to buy a Windows program in order to make parallels work?

    I am a little disgusted.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Plr View Post
    I am about ready to return my Bible works program tomorrow if I discover that I have to buy a Windows program in addition to a Parallels program. Do I have to buy a Windows program in order to make parallels work?

    I am a little disgusted.
    Yes, that is how Parallels works. It provides a way to "seamlessly" run Windows programs (through Windows operating system (be it Windows 7, Vista or XP)) on a Mac. Parallels is not a replacement for Windows operating system. Sorry that you were misled in understanding how Parallels works. I'm not quite clear if you only bought Parallels to use BibleWorks, but if that's the case, you also may want to get a refund for Parallels because it's not much use without Windows operating system.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

  3. #3

    Default

    Yes, you need to purchase separately a windows OS in order for parallels to work. This isn't an issue with Bibleworks so I hope you're not disgusted with them. It's just the only way to get windows software to work well on mac computers. Mac users are actually very fortunate that they can do this. Apple is so exclusive they would never allow their OS to run on a PC (legally). For a windows OS you're looking at an additional $100-$200 I assume. I know, it stinks, but if you like Bibleworks that much you'll either fork up the cash or use windows-based PCs. Personally, the only reason I haven't switched over fully to Apple products is due to Bibleworks (and, of course, since I've been using Windows my whole life & know it well). It also helps that windows-based PCs are cheaper and the windows OS (windows 7, at least) is just as if not more secure than Mac OS. In fact, even though I have an apple desktop, I'm still under the conviction that, although Apple products are great & gorgeous, 90% of it is just hype. I've had the same dell laptop for over 4 years & have been nothing but satisfied & it still runs great. I'm hoping with Windows 8 that all platforms (PC, tablet, & phone) will somehow be unified & we'll be able to access Bibleworks from all of these devices. If Windows 8 turns out to be a flop, then I'll probably end up making the switch to Apple within 4-5 years. If Windows flops, perhaps by that time Bibleworks will actually be willing to make a compatible Mac version and jump on board with the mobile versions as well.

    For native Mac versions I would either look at Accordance or Logos for Mac. Personally, I would choose Accordance because I believe it's more exegetically-based. It looks pretty good and is fairly intuitive as well (though a bit overwhelming). However, be warned that the amount of cash you'll spend on either platform to equal the amount of things you get in Bibleworks would be enough to purchase you a new mac computer in the end. Bibleworks is THAT much cheaper than the competition. I remember doing a rough estimate one time and comparable materials in Accordance would cost over $2,000 to only $350 for Bibleworks. Pretty crazy. The question you have to ask yourself is: "Do I need all of those extra features Bibleworks offers or can I manage with a stripped-down version of Accordance where I don't get half as much stuff?" Tough call. Learning a new platform like Accordance can take a significant amount of time too. So if you're already familiar with Bibleworks & you'll use many of the advanced features then it may be best to fork up the cash for Windows 7 to run on Parallels. I wish all of this could be simpler too

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,030

    Default MAC Learning Curve

    I know this can be a touchy subject for some Mac and Win users, but I am just looking for bare facts here. To wit: what would you guestimate the learning curve from someone who has used Windows forever, but who never ever, ever, ever used a Mac?

    I mean just a general up-and-running relatively competent ability on a Mac. A few weeks, months, I'm guessing. Again, not talking about being an expert, just being able to operate and run useful programs, like BW on Parallels and so forth.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,081

    Default Parallels spam?

    Based on there being three messages within the past week about Parallels, all by users without any previous posts, I'm starting to become more certain they're just spam. The other thread is kind of a dead give-away since there is a spam link at the end of the message.

    Anybody care to prove me wrong?
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    Based on there being three messages within the past week about Parallels, all by users without any previous posts, I'm starting to become more certain they're just spam. The other thread is kind of a dead give-away since there is a spam link at the end of the message.

    Anybody care to prove me wrong?
    Why would this user reflect negatively on parallels if it is spam. There are more people moving to Mac and want to keep BW. As such there will be questions. BW I think has an article on using VMs for use on Macs. As to the other links, I don't know since I did not check.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    I know this can be a touchy subject for some Mac and Win users, but I am just looking for bare facts here. To wit: what would you guestimate the learning curve from someone who has used Windows forever, but who never ever, ever, ever used a Mac?

    I mean just a general up-and-running relatively competent ability on a Mac. A few weeks, months, I'm guessing. Again, not talking about being an expert, just being able to operate and run useful programs, like BW on Parallels and so forth.
    Scott,
    I converted over 3 years ago with no difficulties at all. I bought the Mac with Parallels and XP already installed. At first I thought I would be in the Windows environment quite a bit, but I find the only reason to venture over now is for BW and one other non-Mac bible software program.

    The differences in the operating systems are easy to adapt to imho.

    Does this answer your question?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jfidel View Post
    Scott,
    I converted over 3 years ago with no difficulties at all. I bought the Mac with Parallels and XP already installed. At first I thought I would be in the Windows environment quite a bit, but I find the only reason to venture over now is for BW and one other non-Mac bible software program.

    The differences in the operating systems are easy to adapt to imho.

    Does this answer your question?
    Yep, answers my question perfectly, especially when you say that the differences in OS's are fairly easy to adapt to. If I ever have the money and the time I may purchase a Mac and see what's what. If Jobs were still alive I'd be much more interested in doing it faster, but I've no idea how the company's innovations will fare now that he's gone. Got to admit, the guy was a phenom with IT.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    Yep, answers my question perfectly, especially when you say that the differences in OS's are fairly easy to adapt to. If I ever have the money and the time I may purchase a Mac and see what's what. If Jobs were still alive I'd be much more interested in doing it faster, but I've no idea how the company's innovations will fare now that he's gone. Got to admit, the guy was a phenom with IT.
    Hey Scott, at last count, you were pretty satisfied with your new HP (Windows-based) computer. That hasn't changed at all, has it? (Your curiosity about Macs prompted my question.)

    Irving

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ISalzman View Post
    Hey Scott, at last count, you were pretty satisfied with your new HP (Windows-based) computer. That hasn't changed at all, has it? (Your curiosity about Macs prompted my question.)

    Irving
    Hi Irving:

    No, I'm perfectly happy with my HP and Windows. But I thought I might learn a little about the Mac, especially for programming purposes, plus I still don't know whether I'm going to get my wife a Kindle Fire or an IPad, so I thought I would maybe -- if time and money permit -- allow myself a Mac as a sort of hobby.

    Actually, just between you and me, I was really interested in the Mac so I could rewrite BibleWorks from the ground up specifically for the Mac, then nobody could complain anymore!

    But after having thought about it, I don't really have time to try to mess with another OS. Far too many more important things to do.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •