Thread: Create a parsing quiz??

Default Create a parsing quiz??

I want to create a parsing quiz for my Hebrew students based upon the "Perfect" and "Imperfect" conjugations of all 7 major stems (Qal, Nifal, Piel...). I have done a search in the book of Genesis of say all Qal Perfect and Imperfect verbs (code = .???@vq[pi]*) and all the occurrences of this search are multiplied in the search window. My question is...how can i copy a list of just those "inflected verbs" that I searched for? I know i am able to copy the verse list, but that is like 700 verses! and I really only want the "words" which i searched for. Any tips?

So far I have just been copy pasting every word...which takes a while.

Default This is an easy one!

For something like this, you really want to use the Word List Manager.
    1. Using WTM, run the search as you did. (I repeated your search using Genesis as a limit. .???@vq[pi]* in the command line.) >> Results: 767 verses and 586 forms. As I understand your request, you want a list of those 586 forms. So,
    2. Open the Word List Manager (from the button bar or by using Tools > Analyzing the text > WLM)
    3. When the WLM box opens, click on "Load or Generate Word List"
    4. For version, choose WTT
    5. For source, use "Load highlighted words from last query"
    6. (Verse range won't really matter since you are using your hit list)
    7. Under Other Options, it doesn't matter if you keep morph codes or not (since you are using WTT), but do choose whether you want Hebrew vowel points or Hebrew accents.
    8. Hit Create List >> There you go!
    9. Now back in the main WLM window, click on File and choose how you want to export/save the info.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Default Thanks Mike!

You are Right, that was easy. Thanks so much

Default Additional Info on Creating Hebrew Word List

I have been trying to use Dr. Hoffman's answer to create a Hebrew word list that contains both the inflected forms (from WTT) and the parsings (from WTM). I have tried to combine them using the primary and secondary lists of the WLM, but the two lists do not "line up," i.e., the first listed inflected form is different from the first listed parsing. Can someone please point out what I am doing wrong or suggest a better approach. Thanks! Tim
    Name:  19-Oct-13 12-59-34.png
Views: 65
Size:  71.3 KB
    Last edited by TimM; 10-19-2013 at 01:16 PM.

Hmmm.... there are at least a couple things going on, but I'm not sure that there is an easy answer to find what you are wanting to do.
    The differences in occurrence numbers can be due to:
    • Words that have the same form but can have different morphology. I'm more familiar w/ examples in Greek where, depending on the verb, the form could be indicative or imperative or subjunctive. Within the context, it may need to be read only one way, or it's possible that it could be analyzed in more than one way. For this latter situation, you will only get one hit in the BGT list but you would get two hits in the BGM list.
    • The Hebrew is more complicated due to prefixes and suffixes. When you generate the word list, note that you can indicate whether to retain morph codes, and if so, how many morph codes to retain. You will get different occurrence results depending on how many morph codes you include. (I.e., more words can be grouped together when you only use 1 morph code, but you will have them much more finely specified if you use 30 morph codes.)
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Dr. Hoffman,

Thank you very much for your reply. I had not considered the points that you are making. I will work on this further.

Many thanks for your help,

Tim