Thread: BibleWorks Unofficial Blog

Default BibleWorks Unofficial Blog

I don't know if it's just me and my system, but the BibleWorks Unofficial Blog Home Page doesn't display (or only half-displays) in IE9. I can get it to display fine in Google Chrome and Firefox, but IE9 won't display the Homepage, IE9 displays the other pages fine, just not the homepage.

Anybody else? Try it here --

http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/

It's a problem with IE9. It's why you should be using Firefox, or Chrome, or Opera, or even Safari. In my IE there's an option to view it as a compatible site, and then it works.

Jim is aware of the problem, but for right now since it seems to work on every browser except IE9, my suggestion is don't use that browser.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Compatibility mode fixed the proglem. Although I use the other browsers for testing purposes, and for better or worse, I guess I'm still one of the few that prefers IE9. I find the menus much more user friendly than the others, in that they stay open and I don't have to keep waiting for them as I do in the other browsers. Chrome certainly has a cleaner feel, and Firefox, well, I'm just not all that impressed with it, and Chome is a major pain to alphabetize the menus.

In any case, I know I'm one of the few, and I had completely forgotten about Compatibility mode. Now that it works, all is right with the world again. Except that tomorrow is Monday!

Firefox is my browser of choice simply because of the AdBlock Plus add-on. Whenever I use a different browser I'm reminded of the fact that there are advertisements EVERYWHERE on the Internet, it's kind of sad. We're not really sure why the IE9 problem exists with our website. Jim may upgrade our WordPress to see if that helps, but that's a potentially complicated process that requires a lot of time, and let's face it, we're running the time banks on credit a little too much lately.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

Adelphos,
    You are definitely NOT the only one preferring IE9. Once I find one program which works, I use it, and don't go looking around for other programs to do the same thing. So all those other internet programs are Swahili to me. I have never used anything but MS internet explorer. And I don't have a clue what "Compatibility mode" is. I just use IE as it came to me.
    Mark Eddy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    Adelphos,
    You are definitely NOT the only one preferring IE9. Once I find one program which works, I use it, and don't go looking around for other programs to do the same thing. So all those other internet programs are Swahili to me. I have never used anything but MS internet explorer. And I don't have a clue what "Compatibility mode" is. I just use IE as it came to me.
    Mark Eddy
    Somewhere I'm sure there's a Lutheran joke to be made.

For more on compatibility mode, see this page.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

Mark,

Compability mode can be found on the Tools menu. You use that whenever IE appears not to be displaying properly. The only time I've ever needed it is with the Unofficial BW Blog, and that fixed the problem.

I confess, unless I'm missing something, that I find the Bookmarking capabilities of Firefox and Chrome to be SEVERELY LACKING. It takes an act of God to get them sorted and arranged properly, as far as I can tell, plus the options that each offers are absolutely miniscule compared to the options that IE offers, not to mention other things that I consider to be severe short-falls.

But to each his own. Some people like stupid dogs that bark constantly, like the neighbor on my left. She owns two of the stupidest dogs ever birthed, and because they are so stupid, they bark alll the time.

Conversely, the neighbor on my right has German Shepherds which, along with Labs, are the smartest dogs on the planet, and the only time they ever bark is when it is absolutely necessary that they do so.

I'm not an animal hater by nature, but I'm coming awful close to grabbing my shotgun and mistaking the stupid dogs for coyotes one of these nights.