Thread: phrase search

Default phrase search

I've asked students to find "glory of God" in John. They are working in Greek. I don't use BW anymore since I moved to a Mac computer. A student just told me she searched for the phrase re-spelling all four cases, doing four separate searches. Is there an easier way? In Accordance, you can "search for lemma" with a phrase search and the software will check all inflected forms of the words you're choosing. How do we do this in BW?

Quote Originally Posted by Mary View Post
    I've asked students to find "glory of God" in John. They are working in Greek. I don't use BW anymore since I moved to a Mac computer. A student just told me she searched for the phrase re-spelling all four cases, doing four separate searches. Is there an easier way? In Accordance, you can "search for lemma" with a phrase search and the software will check all inflected forms of the words you're choosing. How do we do this in BW?
    In the command line of BW type:

bnm [[this enables the Greek New Testament]]
    l john [[this searches only Johannine lit, by default it includes the Epistles and Revelation. One can change this, but ignore this for now]]
    'doxa o qeos [[this searches for the phrase in any grammatical case with no intervening words]]
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default Thanks

It looks like the trick is to use nominative in the search. If this isn't the correct inference to draw, let me know. Thanks for the help.
    mhs

Quote Originally Posted by Mary View Post
    It looks like the trick is to use nominative in the search. If this isn't the correct inference to draw, let me know. Thanks for the help.
    mhs
    Well I don't know where your student's problem was, so I don't know if that's *the* trick, but yes use nominative if it's a noun or adjective, or dictionary form for verbs, adverbs, etc. Whatever the word is parsed as and generally the lemma found in the dictionary is what you would use.

P.S. - It might help if you direct your student to the Command Line search examples that are provided in BibleWorks. If the student is using one of the later versions, on the search window (the one on the farthest left), there's a pulldown menu called Tools and you can use that to click to Command Line examples. If not used to BibleWorks syntax, it might be confusing at first, but almost all beginning and intermediate searches are given as examples there.
    Last edited by Michael Hanel; 11-07-2011 at 09:09 PM.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!