Thread: Blind seminarian creates Braille Bible language software

Default Blind seminarian creates Braille Bible language software

Here's a story I thought people here would find interesting: https://www.ambs.edu/news/Making-a-w...-is-no-way.cfm.

It's a long article, but fascinating and significant on a number of levels. Basically it's the story of a young man, Matt Yeater, who was in and out of prison, blinded himself in a meth lab explosion, still kept making meth, but ultimately became a Christian, went to college, and then to Anabaptist Mennonite Biblical Seminary in Indiana. He wanted to learn biblical languages, but Braille tools were very limited, so he led a project to design software to create them. Along the way, he contacted Duxbury Systems, maker of Braille translation software, and talked to someone there who turned out to be the son of William L. Holladay, none other than the author of the Concise Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament and many other books. So far Yeater's software can convert Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek, Syriac, Coptic, and Latin to Braille.

Yeater just received an award from the National Federation of the Blind, and looks to have quite a life ahead of him. Caveat: the article mentions his use of Logos. Presumably his tools could work with BW resources as well!
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Wow, what amazing story!
    Thank you so much for posting that here DavidR!
    Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/

That was an amazing story, thanks for posting it here!

This summer, Matt is taking Aramaic and Syriac with Paul. He plans to continue his post-graduate studies on Second Temple Judaism and the birth of the church, perhaps at a university in Israel. He’d like to sharpen his research skills and to become fluent in Hebrew Arabic. “I want a graduate program to say, ‘This kid’s going to be an investment’ — that’s how I want to be viewed,” he says. “I want the next blind person to be evaluated on their skills and accomplishments and not their blindness.” “That’s where I’m at now, just waiting for the next step that God’s going to open up in my life,” he concludes. “My only claim to fame is Jesus’s name. If I accomplish anything, it’s because God is letting me and making it happen.”

Many thanks for this update!
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia