Thread: KJV Notes

Default KJV Notes

In the browse window of the KJV, I have noticed that the footnote number is always placed at the end of the verse instead of immediately following the word the footnote addresses.

For example, in the browse window for 2 Thess. 1:8:

8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:1

And in the analysis window:

Notes:

1 taking: or, yielding

It seems it would make more sense to have in the browse window:

8 In flaming fire taking1 vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

That's how it is done in the other English versions in BW, and that is how it has been historically done in print versions of the KJV (though usually immediately preceding instead of following the word under consideration). And I was actually thinking that was how it was set up in BW8, though my memory may be failing me.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

Interesting, Lee. I have something that is even different from your finding. My KJV, on the same verse, doesn't even have a superscripted number in the verse. Here's what mine looks like:

KJV 2 Thessalonians 1:8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: {taking: or, yielding}

Irving

Default Bw8, bw9, kjv, kjg

Hey Irving,
    Do you have BW8 or BW9?
    For me, BW9 [V. 9.0.005u.1 (SH)] KJV looks like Lee's copy, but BW8 [V. 8.0.019i.1 (Standard Edition)] looks like your copy.

KJG, however, in both BW8 and BW9, is like this:
    KJG 2 Thessalonians 1:8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them 1 that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:
    With this in the Analysis window:
    KJG Notes (2Th 1:8)
    TrNotes: taking: or, yielding

Geneva Bible Notes:
    (1) There is no knowledge of God to salvation, without the Gospel of Christ.

I didn't realize that BW9 had this improvement -- I tried unsuccessfully in BW8 to make a copy of KJV that would put the notes in the Analysis window the way KJG does. The problem with KJG is that while it is tagged with Strong's numbers, and will display the numbers, the gloss popups don't work, nor do the lexicon entries show up in the Analysis window. Now if only the Geneva Notes would show up in KJV the way they do in KJG...

-Jim

Hey Jim,

I have both BW8 and BW9, one on one of my computers, the other on the other computer. When weighing in on this thread earlier, I was referring to my BW8 installation. I didn't think there would be a difference. Based on your post, I guess there is. Interesting.

Regards,

Irving

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wert View Post
    Hey Irving,
    Now if only the Geneva Notes would show up in KJV the way they do in KJG...

-Jim
    The main reason to have a separate KJG is the addition of the Geneva notes. This happened about BW7 or 8. The KJV is the original King James in BW. Apparently some prefer not to have the Geneva notes open. They can use KJV. Since you like the notes, always use KJG.
    Mark Eddy

Irving,

Thanks for jarring my memory as to how the KJV was referenced in BW8. And thanks, Jim and Mark, for the information. Of course, if you use the KJG, you lose Thayer's definitions, et al., in the analysis window.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.