Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick Questions About BW 9

Default Quick Questions About BW 9

I'm getting closer to ordering BW 9, and the answer to these questions won't affect that at all, but I'm curious --

1. Is there a way to QUICKLY switch between the 3-pane view and the 4-pane view?

2. I assume that when I give my lock codes at purchase time that the new lock codes will be sent along with the DVD, or do they email them?

3. Can I keep BW 8 installed while I install/run BW 9, or must I uninstall BW 8 first?

4. Anything else I need to be aware of?

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    I'm getting closer to ordering BW 9, and the answer to these questions won't affect that at all, but I'm curious --

1. Is there a way to QUICKLY switch between the 3-pane view and the 4-pane view?
    Yes. If you look at any of the videos or pictures (or, you know, read my reviews...), it's simply a matter of clicking a button that toggles the fourth column on or off.

2. I assume that when I give my lock codes at purchase time that the new lock codes will be sent along with the DVD, or do they email them?
    They email them. Now that the initial rush is gone, I assume you'd get the emailed codes before you get the DVD.

3. Can I keep BW 8 installed while I install/run BW 9, or must I uninstall BW 8 first?
    It's suggested to remove it I think because there can be interference with the COM server and how BibleWorks registers (you may know more about this aspect than I do), but otherwise if you don't uninstall it, you shouldn't have any other problems.

4. Anything else I need to be aware of?
    Nothing that I can think of. Just make sure you're not installing it on your netbook. Half the fun of BW9 is having quick and easy access to manuscript images and those take up quite a few GB. Yes I know you already have your view of manuscript evidence, but still having access to images for the purposes of illustration is quite handy.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Thanks for the quick replies. You raised another question, though. If I DO want to install it on a netbook, are the manuscript images/modules optional, or is installing them a must?

Even though I probably won't make much use of them, I'll definitely do a full install on my regular computer, but on the netbook, even one with a pretty big HD, I'd rather not have them if I don't have to.

Thanks for the quick replies. You raised another question, though. If I DO want to install it on a netbook, are the manuscript images/modules optional, or is installing them a must?

Even though I probably won't make much use of them, I'll definitely do a full install on my regular computer, but on the netbook, even one with a pretty big HD, I'd rather not have them if I don't have to.
    Images are optional. You are given the chance at your install to select whether you want them or not, just like you can choose which Bible versions to install. If you change your mind you can re-run the installation to install them if you decide you want them. If you don't want them, you could pretty much just delete the image folders.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

Well, you're just doing everything you can to make me go ahead and order, aren't you?

I suspect I'll bite the bullet in the not too distant future, then. Thanks for the quick replies.

Also, now that I'm getting ready to take the plunge, I'll watch the videos and read your reviews, although, I believe your reviews contain complete sentences in them, and I'm not sure if I'm up to that today.

Also, now that I'm getting ready to take the plunge, I'll watch the videos and read your reviews, although, I believe your reviews contain complete sentences in them, and I'm not sure if I'm up to that today.
    That's why I included pictures and bold print. Just look at the pictures and read the bold print. No need to waste time on sentences.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

Okay, I know I have to enter my main BW 8 activation code, but what about my unlock modules? Do I have to enter them somewhere as well, or do they already have a record of them and just send them to me?

BTW, Michael, the reviews were very informative... and I really liked the pictures.

FWIW, I installed on a Netbook for our trip to the UK, and loved it. But I wasn't using the fourth pane much, and it's easily closed.
    Dan Phillips
    Books:Web presence:
    tfo+[]l;w> hw"hy> tr:AT-ta, vArd>li Abb'l. !ykihe ar"z>[, yKi

s `jP'(v.miW qxo laer"f.yIB. dMel;l.W

Okay, I know I have to enter my main BW 8 activation code, but what about my unlock modules? Do I have to enter them somewhere as well, or do they already have a record of them and just send them to me?

BTW, Michael, the reviews were very informative... and I really liked the pictures.
    When you've previously registered and activated BibleWorks 8, that keeps a record of all the modules activated to your BibleWorks ID, so when you upgrade with your BW8 activation, they know what unlock codes to send you. At least I believe that's how it worked. Anyway, it should be all part of whatever they email you, you don't need to send them a list of your BW8 unlocks unless for some reason they wouldn't have proof that you unlocked them.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    When you've previously registered and activated BibleWorks 8, that keeps a record of all the modules activated to your BibleWorks ID, so when you upgrade with your BW8 activation, they know what unlock codes to send you. At least I believe that's how it worked. Anyway, it should be all part of whatever they email you, you don't need to send them a list of your BW8 unlocks unless for some reason they wouldn't have proof that you unlocked them.
    Okay, thanks again, Michael.

Just out of curiosity, Dan, how big is the HD on your netbook and how much did BW take up?

I'm thinking about just leaving BW 8 on my netbook, albeit I'm probably going to be getting a new netbook soon, so I'll have to see which BW version I want to install then.