Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to add a signature to thread postings?

Default How to add a signature to thread postings?

I see no place for discussion about the forum software, so I'll just post my question here:

I often see "signatures" added to the end of thread postings. In my account "General settings" there's an option to add my signature to my posts. But I can't find a place to actually write the signature. I've been through all the profile and settings pages.

Where is it?

Kirk
    <whose signature would be here if he could figure out where to do it>
    Kirk E. Lowery, PhD
    President & Senior Research Fellow
    J. Alan Groves Center for Advanced Biblical Research

If I go to "Settings" (on the top right of this page), the next page has a link "Edit Signature" under "My Profile" on the left side. If you don't see that in your set-up then I'm not sure what to say.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Hi, Michael!

No, under "My Profile" is "Edit Profile" and then "Edit Avatar". No "Edit signature."

I wonder if they've changed the forum options? I'm using Firefox, if that might make a difference...

Thanks for responding!

Kirk
    <no sig>
    Kirk E. Lowery, PhD

Quote Originally Posted by CapnKirk View Post
    Hi, Michael!

No, under "My Profile" is "Edit Profile" and then "Edit Avatar". No "Edit signature."

I wonder if they've changed the forum options? I'm using Firefox, if that might make a difference...

Thanks for responding!

Kirk
    <no sig>
    Firefox shouldn't matter. It is possible that only "Senior Members" can have signatures? (I forget the rule, but it might be that 25 posts makes one a "Senior Member"?). I do know that when spambots have come here in the past they usually have their links in the signature, so this may have been tweaked to prevent spambots from spamming, but that is only a guess.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

If that is a rule, then it must be a new one, like you said, maybe for spam bots. I have had a signature for as long as I can remember and I just became a "Senior Member" when I posted my 100th post. However, I know that I had one when I was a junior member.
    Chris Sansom
    M. Div. Concordia Seminary
    Google+
    Facebook!
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Sansom48 View Post
    If that is a rule, then it must be a new one, like you said, maybe for spam bots. I have had a signature for as long as I can remember and I just became a "Senior Member" when I posted my 100th post. However, I know that I had one when I was a junior member.
    The change seems to have come with the update to the forum software. The only question is whether this change is default setting that hasn't been changed or a deliberate decision by the administrator. Maybe someone in the know will pop in during the work-week.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    The change seems to have come with the update to the forum software. The only question is whether this change is default setting that hasn't been changed or a deliberate decision by the administrator. Maybe someone in the know will pop in during the work-week.
    The ability to edit your signature is still there in the new Forum software. You need to click on 'Settings' at the top right of any Forum page. I assume to edit, you'll need to be logged in. But you go in to the Signature via "Settings." Merely being on your Profile page is not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by ISalzman View Post
    The ability to edit your signature is still there in the new Forum software. You need to click on 'Settings' at the top right of any Forum page. I assume to edit, you'll need to be logged in. But you go in to the Signature via "Settings." Merely being on your Profile page is not enough.
    Irving, it is there for you and me, but CapnKirk seems to say that it's not there for him. I trust he did it correctly because he said other options were available, but not the Edit Signature one. That's what led me to hypothesize why it would be there for me, but not him.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    Irving, it is there for you and me, but CapnKirk seems to say that it's not there for him. I trust he did it correctly because he said other options were available, but not the Edit Signature one. That's what led me to hypothesize why it would be there for me, but not him.
    Hey Michael, sorry if I misunderstood you. I assume if CapnKirk were Spock, he could always edit his settings via the old Vulcan Mind Mell!

Hi, guys!

Yep, logged in, click "Settings" at the top, and no "Edit Signature" on the left sidebar. I think you're right: if you have the ability to edit the signature, then it must be a user-by-user setting; although I imagine there is a default for the entire forum.

Could an administrator weigh in here?

Kirk
    <My mind to your mind,
    My thoughts to your thoughts...>
    Kirk E. Lowery, PhD