Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Henry Alford - The Greek Testament

Default Alford - Esword's illegal

How do you guys know that E-swords Alford commentary is copied from Logos? and could that be the case with the ICCNT, GNOMON, Meyer, and etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by twellings View Post
    How do you guys know that E-swords Alford commentary is copied from Logos? and could that be the case with the ICCNT, GNOMON, Meyer, and etc.?
    There are a lot of reasons if you look in the HTML you can find residual tags from Logos either referring to Logos book information or using Logos fonts. The files themselves look "funny" and that must stem from something, which turns out to be the fact that they were copied right out of Logos. I haven't look at these other commentaries that you mention, but I would not be surprised if they were also copied from Logos. Just think about works that have no e-text. How do they get to have an e-text? That requires a ton of work and most individuals do not have the resources necessary to make that happen. That's why it's not shocking to see people copy one version from someone who already has it done, in this case Logos. However, that's not our business on this forums, that's between Logos and e-Sword folks.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    There are a lot of reasons if you look in the HTML you can find residual tags from Logos either referring to Logos book information or using Logos fonts. The files themselves look "funny" and that must stem from something, which turns out to be the fact that they were copied right out of Logos. I haven't look at these other commentaries that you mention, but I would not be surprised if they were also copied from Logos. Just think about works that have no e-text. How do they get to have an e-text? That requires a ton of work and most individuals do not have the resources necessary to make that happen. That's why it's not shocking to see people copy one version from someone who already has it done, in this case Logos. However, that's not our business on this forums, that's between Logos and e-Sword folks.
    Thanks for the information Michael. When I look at the HTML, what would I be looking for specifically? Also, you asked where they would have gotten their e-text. I know websites like Archive.org have many of these commentaries available and they are already OCRed. All one would have to do is go through and change the Greek, which would still be labor but not as much s it would take to type each word out. I know this isn't exactly a BibleWorks issue, but you are the only one I have heard this from and I really want to know if I am breaking copyright.

Quote Originally Posted by twellings View Post
    Thanks for the information Michael. When I look at the HTML, what would I be looking for specifically? Also, you asked where they would have gotten their e-text. I know websites like Archive.org have many of these commentaries available and they are already OCRed. All one would have to do is go through and change the Greek, which would still be labor but not as much s it would take to type each word out. I know this isn't exactly a BibleWorks issue, but you are the only one I have heard this from and I really want to know if I am breaking copyright.
    I don't have Bob's files around any more, but for instance if you searched the HTML with a text editor for "Logos" or "Libronix" you would find places in the code where those occurred. I know there are places you can find pirated versions of Logos' stuff on the internet. For instance if you go to Bible-library.org, you will probably find some material that truly is legitimate (i.e. taken from public domain sources), but the vast majority of the "meat" of that website is stuff taken right out of Logos and I've noticed that now they even have used a Javascript app to hide the HTML source code just so that it's less obvious.

If you have a particular file that you're looking at, I can advise you if you want. If you're doing something for your own personal use, in my opinion, it's not really something you have to worry about. The concern occurs when you want to distribute the files to others.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Hi pasquale I have sent you a private message a couple of months back but you have only visited the forum yesterday and have not see/read the message.
    It is about this module.

Thanks

Jon