Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Henry Alford - The Greek Testament

Quote Originally Posted by pasquale View Post
    Alford Release 3 (Final) - each book is proofreaded three time by two people
    Proofreaded Alford's Greek Testament Release 3.

There is a new and revised vmf file.

Pasquale

Mike please put this release in BibleWorks blog
    The file is available on the unofficial BibleWorks blog here.

Please note that for some mysterious reason comments no longer work on the BibleWorks blog. You can make them, they just never show up in the queue for moderation. So if you have any issues, best to do so here.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Hmmm,

I downloaded and unzipped to databases folder...then unblocked each file. Still, it doesn't show up on resources tab nor in the resources menu.

Am I not doing something correctly? Or am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by arggem View Post
    Hmmm,

I downloaded and unzipped to databases folder...then unblocked each file. Still, it doesn't show up on resources tab nor in the resources menu.

Am I not doing something correctly? Or am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks!
    This is a Bible version, not a module. Bible versions are like BGT, NIV, WTT, etc. They show up in the browse window with the rest of your Bible versions. In the command line type "d alf" to get Alford to show up.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

Ahhhhh. Missed that. Thanks!!

Default On another note...

In an earlier post I mentioned that both Alford's and Nicoll's Greek Testament commentaries were available as modules on e-Sword, and that I had converted them to BW modules. Unfortunately, as Michael Hanel discovered, the e-Sword modules were made from the copyrighted editions from Logos, so my BW versions cannot legally be redistributed.

Default Alford now part of BibleWorks 9

I can't speak to other versions of BibleWorks, but the Alford Greek New Testament was now officially added to the base package of BibleWorks 9 and can be downloaded via the system updater. So there's no need to download it via the unofficial BibleWorks Blog if you have BW9.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    I can't speak to other versions of BibleWorks, but the Alford Greek New Testament was now officially added to the base package of BibleWorks 9 and can be downloaded via the system updater. So there's no need to download it via the unofficial BibleWorks Blog if you have BW9.
    Why isn't the following included: Alford's Greek Testament with text-critical and exegetical notes? It seems unless there is a copyright issue, the text-critical and exegetical notes would be great to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Joan Korte View Post
    Why isn't the following included: Alford's Greek Testament with text-critical and exegetical notes? It seems unless there is a copyright issue, the text-critical and exegetical notes would be great to have.
    Beggars can't be choosers Joan. Alford is available because a BibleWorks user did the work to type up the text. I imagine he didn't do the notes because that would have added years to how long it would have taken him. Instead just say thanks.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    Beggars can't be choosers Joan. Alford is available because a BibleWorks user did the work to type up the text. I imagine he didn't do the notes because that would have added years to how long it would have taken him. Instead just say thanks.
    Michael, Thanks for telling me why. I am ignorant at what it takes both in man hours and what type of source document is needed to get a module like this in BibleWorks. I honestly had no idea it would take years. I just know the free Bible software packages have them as modules and it didn't seem to take years. I have used Bengal, Nicoll, and Alford's works for years from archive.org.

Quote Originally Posted by Joan Korte View Post
    Michael, Thanks for telling me why. I am ignorant at what it takes both in man hours and what type of source document is needed to get a module like this in BibleWorks. I honestly had no idea it would take years. I just know the free Bible software packages have them as modules and it didn't seem to take years. I have used Bengal, Nicoll, and Alford's works for years from archive.org.
    I don't know how many hours Pasquale actually worked on the transcriptions and proofreading, but based on my own attempts at making versions, I know it takes hours. If you look at the first post of this thread, you can see Pasquale released the first version of Alford in September and only now has he finished and he said he and another user proofread each book three times. It makes my eyes hurt just thinking about it! So sorry if I was a bit abrupt, I just didn't want Pasquale's work to go unappreciated.

Also, as was noted before, there are apparently e-sword modules of some of those commentaries available, but when I downloaded the texts it became immediately clear that they were simply copy and pasted from Logos' versions. While e-sword may, in good conscience, be able to support that, at the unofficial BibleWorks blog, we do not post files that clearly represent an infringement of someone's copyright protection.
    Last edited by Michael Hanel; 02-16-2012 at 02:53 PM.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!