Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Irene

Default Hurricane Irene

Just wanted to know if you guys in Virginia were being impacted or were expecting to be impacted by Hurricane Irene. We are bracing ourselves here in NJ and NY. May our God protect us all from physical harm and property damage.

Quote Originally Posted by ISalzman View Post
    Just wanted to know if you guys in Virginia were being impacted or were expecting to be impacted by Hurricane Irene. We are bracing ourselves here in NJ and NY. May our God protect us all from physical harm and property damage.
    On a lighter note - if there is one in such circumstances - I hope that the rain moves in quickly and washes out the rest of the Yankee/Orioles game in Baltimore. AJ Burnett just gave up 6 in the bottom of the 2nd, and a nice downpour would be pretty helpful right about now.

Of course, they did come back from six runs down yesterday against Oakland (with three grandslams) to score 22 runs - but I wouldn't expect them to be able to do that two days running. So, again, some rain would be useful.
    Last edited by jimofbentley; 08-26-2011 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimofbentley View Post
    On a lighter note - if there is one in such circumstances - .
    Jim, I know you meant well, but this storm has the very real potential of being catastrophic. NYC is actually mandating the evacuation of 250,000 people right now and that number may grow. This is unheard of for these parts. I suspect there is going to be major damage and flooding as a result of Irene. There were major lines at gas stations today and stores sold out of flashlights, batteries, and all the usual major necessities. People are actually expecting the worst.

But, while I'm at it, how does an American Aussie become a Yankee fan? I am one of those rare NY Metro folk that hate the Bronx Bombers (Shhh, I don't tell my congregants that!).

Jim, I know you meant well, but this storm has the very real potential of being catastrophic. NYC is actually mandating the evacuation of 250,000 people right now and that number may grow. This is unheard of for these parts. I suspect there is going to be major damage and flooding as a result of Irene. There were major lines at gas stations today and stores sold out of flashlights, batteries, and all the usual major necessities. People are actually expecting the worst.
    Sorry about that, I didn't realise the storm was that bad. I was in Texas visiting my mother a few years ago when Houston had to be evacuated. That was a nightmare, but thankfully, there was not the damage that was expected. That was a year or so after Katrina, and everyone was expecting the worst.

But, while I'm at it, how does an American Aussie become a Yankee fan? I am one of those rare NY Metro folk that hate the Bronx Bombers (Shhh, I don't tell my congregants that!).
    I was raised in California and we were on a school field trip (as Linus said in Peanuts - "Seen one field, you've seen them all")

The driver put on game 2 of the 1964 World Series between the Yankees and the Cardinals. I thought, "who would I like to win"? I didn't know what a "Cardinal" was so I decided that I would like the Yankees. They won game two, and I watched game 3 on TV. In the last of the ninth, I saw Mickey Mantle hit the first pitch for his 16th career World Series homerun to win the game - and I've been a Yankee fan ever since - although in 1966 when the finished in dead last, it was a bit difficult.

I did support the Mets in 1969 - but who didn't

I did want the Red Sox to win the World Series in 1967 (I will never make THAT mistake again)

But, highs and lows - Yankee Pinstripes forever.

Gotcha. Hard not to like Mickey Mantle. Did you know he accepted the Lord not long before he died?

My kids and I actually follow a minor league baseball team these days (The New Jersey Jackals). Minor League Baseball is fun. And, more importantly, affordable!

Gotcha. Hard not to like Mickey Mantle. Did you know he accepted the Lord not long before he died?
    I had heard that - and rejoiced greatly when I did. Forgiveness available to all who turn to the Lord!

My kids and I actually follow a minor league baseball team these days (The New Jersey Jackals). Minor League Baseball is fun. And, more importantly, affordable!
    I follow the Perth Heat in the Australian Baseball League, which starts up here in November (the beginning of our summer). National Champions last year - and tickets along the baselines are only $10. Gotta love it.

Quote Originally Posted by jimofbentley View Post

I follow the Perth Heat in the Australian Baseball League, which starts up here in November (the beginning of our summer). National Champions last year - and tickets along the baselines are only $10. Gotta love it.
    Nice. Same exact rules over there? Also, are the players all Aussies? Or, are there expatriate yanks playing as well?

Nice. Same exact rules over there? Also, are the players all Aussies? Or, are there expatriate yanks playing as well?
    Same rules - they even use wooden bats as some in the league are American minor leaguers - and Australians in the minors - who are all sent here to get a bit of extra training and skills building. They use the DH rule, probably because most pitchers can't hit anyway, and also to ensure that the hitters get the practice they were sent for.

The Australian Baseball League is part financed by Major League Baseball (thus the number of minor leaguers - and you can find a link to the ABL on MLB.com) and even the Australian government pitches in (no pun intended) with some of our hard earned tax money.

The Perth Heat has a number of Perth (and environs) players in Professional Baseball:

Luke Hughes, who plays for Minnesota, was born here in Perth.

As also was Brendan Wise (AAA - Toledo Mud Hens); Cameron Lamb (A - Salem-Keizer Volcanoes); Tim Kennelly (AA - Reading Phillies); Matthew Kennelly (AA - Mississippi Braves); Liam Hendriks (AAA - Rochester Red Wings); Allan de San Miguel (AA - New Britain Rock Cats);

And Peter Moylan, relief pitcher for Atlanta is the step-grandson of one of the ladies in my church, although he doesn't play for the Heat.

You may remember that in the late 90's, the Yankees had a pitcher named Graeme Lloyd. He also pitched for the Heat at one time.
    Last edited by jimofbentley; 08-27-2011 at 06:53 PM.

Good stuff, Jim! I do remember Graeme Lloyd. Come to think of it, he was an Aussie wasn't he? Is Australia at all competitive in the World Baseball Chamionships? I bet they've got an uphill battle against countries like the US, Japan, Cuba, Venezuela, Mexico, Dominican Republic, etc. More and more countries are playing baseball these days though. Well hurricane will be arriving in our area not long from now. Heavy rain falling, winds picking up.

Good stuff, Jim! I do remember Graeme Lloyd. Come to think of it, he was an Aussie wasn't he? Is Australia at all competitive in the World Baseball Chamionships? I bet they've got an uphill battle against countries like the US, Japan, Cuba, Venezuela, Mexico, Dominican Republic, etc. More and more countries are playing baseball these days though. Well hurricane will be arriving in our area not long from now. Heavy rain falling, winds picking up.
    Yes, Lloyd was Australian.

Australia won the Silver Medal in the 2004 Olympics, losing to Cuba in the finals, having defeated Japan in the semis. Australia hasn't made it out of the "pool" stage in the baseball classic - but - as they used to say in Brooklyn, "wait until next year".