Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BW7 doesn't refresh when switching programs

Default BW7 doesn't refresh when switching programs

Does anyone else have this problem. It happens to me pretty frequently. I would say, a little too often. No other programs have issues like this.

I have included a pic of what it looked like when I recently switched back from MSWord 2003 to BW7. Notice how half of the BW screen is visible and half of MS Word is visible. I am baffled by this. The only solution I can ever find is to close and reopen BW. Pretty frustrating when you have to do that several times during paper writing/sermon prep.

I run a Thinkpad laptop, XP Pro SP3, a 2 GHz Core 2 Duo processor, 1 Gig of RAM and 3 Gigs free HDD space. I can't imagine it is my machine.

Is this a compatability issue? Or is BW just unable to handle even the slightest shortage in resources?

Thanks for the help!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ericjdaniels; 06-11-2009 at 07:32 PM.

Default screen refresh problem

The most likely culprits are the video driver and insufficient memory. You can try updating your video driver. You can test this thesis by seeing if it occurs in safe mode. 1 Gig of memory should be enough but itdepends on what you have running in parallel and in the background. This is not a known programming issue. Thousands of people are running BW7 without any such refresh problems. Contact tech support and they can be of more help as they deal with issues like this more often and will have a better idea of the experience of others. Make sure you give them your bw700,ini filr (in your BW root directory).
    Mike

I had a problem, that might be similar. When working in parallel window with two version displayed in BW7.
    You can see on the attached picture two lines in the red circle that are the same, evidently something with repainting.

Something even worse was in BW8 when I was swithcing back and forth from browse window to browse tab and changing active verses I had an area in main browse window that stayed unmoved but the area around was showing the verses that I was scrolling. I have a new notebook with updated video driver and 3Gb of memory and no other program running

Sounds good...I'll try updating my video driver. Thanks!

Updated my driver, still does it. I have the ATI Mobility Radeon X1300 card. Wish I could figure it out. Frustrating. Oh well, Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by ericjdaniels View Post
    Updated my driver, still does it. I have the ATI Mobility Radeon X1300 card. Wish I could figure it out. Frustrating. Oh well, Thanks for the help.
    Maybe you've never experienced this with other programs, but I have. Based on what I've heard I just always assumed it was related to the memory/video card performance issues. If you have an exact sequence you can perform that always presents the problem (i.e. show it's reproducible), you can maybe share that w others and see how it works for them.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Just today got it again. Now in search window. I clicked on the third verse in search result and something happend, so that I could not find the verse that I clicked on but now - you can see the same verse appears twice in the list. I made it go out of screen by scrolling and when I scrolled back it was not there. So it probably was just repainting problem
    Last edited by dmivapi; 06-17-2009 at 11:03 AM.

Good suggestion Michael. I wish I had a sequence. I've tried to recreate it on cue, but it only happens when I wish it wouldn't.

Its interesting you have experienced this with other programs. I guess I've just been lucky. I'll hope I stay lucky.

Thanks for the tips.

Default Similar problems

Dear Ericjdaniels,
    I realize this is a two year old thread, but I've had this problem for seveal years with BW7. I have always assumed it was a combination of small video memory and smaller total memory. My old Dell Inspiron 700m has 2 GB of RAM, and if I run any other program of size BW7 will begin to max out the CPU and the page will never fully redraw. I had hoped to run two Bible programs together, but this has proved impossible. I am just upgrading to a new laptop, and wondering how much memory BW9 can access/use. If I want to run the _other_ Bible software program at the same time as BW9, will 8GB be enough memory? Thanks for the help if you notice this update to such an old post!
    In His daily mercies and eternal grace,
    rich

Default 8 gb

Quote Originally Posted by richmilne View Post
    Dear Ericjdaniels,
    I realize this is a two year old thread, but I've had this problem for seveal years with BW7. I have always assumed it was a combination of small video memory and smaller total memory. My old Dell Inspiron 700m has 2 GB of RAM, and if I run any other program of size BW7 will begin to max out the CPU and the page will never fully redraw. I had hoped to run two Bible programs together, but this has proved impossible. I am just upgrading to a new laptop, and wondering how much memory BW9 can access/use. If I want to run the _other_ Bible software program at the same time as BW9, will 8GB be enough memory? Thanks for the help if you notice this update to such an old post!
    In His daily mercies and eternal grace,
    rich
    BibleWorks itself should never use more than a few megabytes. So you should be fine.
    I assume you will be running 64 bit windows. 32 bit windows versions cannot use 8 GB.

Screen refresh problems that we cannot reproduce are almost always video driver problems. Windows hands off screen painting to the video driver. Problems like this are much less common than they used to be, but they do occur occasionally and there is not much we can do to fix them. The best test to see if it is a video driver problem is to run in safe mode with the default VGA driver.

Mike