Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BW9 will not start after re-configuring

Default BW9 will not start after re-configuring

I wanted to reconfigure my original BW9 installation. I used Disc one and made my choices-I un-checked a number of Latin and Greek Bible versions I won't use in addition to some manuscripts. I followed the instructions and re-started my computer. When I try to run BW9, I get an error message saying Bible Works has encountered a problem and must close. I thought of inserting disk one to "repair" but that will take me back to my original configuration and then I will have to re-configure that and this might happen again.

Help

A simple, if frustrating, suggestion, but have you tried uninstalling BW9 and starting over?

It's hard to say what the problem could be. You could do the whole re-install thing that Bob mentioned, but you could also try resetting .INI files. To do that you hold down the shift key when you double click BibleWorks 9 icon and check the appropriate boxes for resetting INI files. This is a less drastic move than re-installing. Otherwise, just wait until you hear back from tech support (I assume you emailed them) for a more official answer.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Thanks, Bob and Michael. I can try re-setting INI and I don't really want to do a full uninstall/re-install, although I may have to. What the real issue is-why did re-configuring shut down BW9 so that it won't open? I will see what tech support says later. Thanks!

What a day! I tried re-setting ini and I should have uninstalled and re-installed because after I reset ini, my system did not recognize BW9 as being a program that I could uninstall. When I tried to uninstall using the disk, it wanted to install and uninstall was no longer an option. I could only think of one thing to do and I did a system restore to before I had any trouble. I guess Bibleworks support is overloaded because I received no response to two emails. After the system restore, I could then uninstall BW9. After a fresh install, it is up and running. I had to remember to save the shell textfile where all my links were; that would have been a huge time waster--to lose that. I do not know why re-configure or modifying BW9 caused the program to be inoperable.
    Last edited by Joan Korte; 08-04-2011 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Progress

It is possible that you tried to uninstall a file or files which have to be installed for another file (which you wanted to keep installed) to work. If something is missing from the order in which BW works, the program will crash.
    Mark Eddy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    It is possible that you tried to uninstall a file or files which have to be installed for another file (which you wanted to keep installed) to work. If something is missing from the order in which BW works, the program will crash.
    Mark Eddy
    Yes, I thought of that as I re-configured but I think the greyed out resources are those that are mandatory and I think BibleWorks is "smart" enough to prevent a user from not checking a box for something that is needed. When I did re-install, I, in a sense was re-configuring and just checking what I needed, the installation was smooth. However, I do not plan on re-configuring again because I do not want a repeat of this experience. When I fiddled with ini, yes, I could have done something that was wrong but that was after all the crashes. I will not touch ini again without being told to do so by support...and what is disheartening is the lack of support I received from BibleWorks support. No responses to my two emails. I know they are very busy. However, my opinion is that during peaks times such as the days of upgrades and new installs for people, support is all the more necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Joan Korte View Post
    I know they are very busy. However, my opinion is that during peaks times such as the days of upgrades and new installs for people, support is all the more necessary.
    But how would BW add extra support for a few months? It would take someone months of full-time study just to learn the program. And what pastor or professor who is already expert in the program would give up a few months of his profession to do tech. support? The programmers are busy working on bugs and monitoring these forums. And BW really believes in taking a sabbath off of work. So would you rather wait for good support or get uninformed support immediately?
    Mark Eddy

Talking Uninformed support readily available

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    ...would you rather wait for good support or get uninformed support immediately?
    Mark Eddy
    And "uninformed support" is readily available on these forums Actually, these forums prove to be a fount of useful "support." And because the BW users community stretches round the world, time zones might not even hinder you in getting quick support. And I'll bet lots of the users are less strict about the Sabbath than BW is, so you might even get "support" on a Sunday afternoon.

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

The main BibleWorks website has had an announcement about the backlog in customer service for a couple of days now, so, if it's any comfort, you weren't intentionally ignored. I know tech support is always a touchy issue because users want support to be available, but it's hard to predict how much is necessary to meet the needs of users. Having too much is a waste of resources, having too little is an annoyance to users. There are certainly time periods when it's more needed than others and the release of a new version is one such time; this is not unique to BibleWorks.

Sorry my attempt at troubleshooting didn't help you out Joan. As part of the beta-process we did numerous installs and re-installs and even modifications of existing installs and I never had any problems. Then again there's almost an infinite number of permutations of choices in installation and modification, that it's possible that you found a problem where the combinations I tried never had one. It's hard to be an arm-chair tech support person, but I'm not sure they could have done much better than the final answer of just re-installing. At best, what I'm sure they would have wanted to know is if they could find out what you first installed and then modified in order to produce your crash so that they could fix it so no one else has to deal with it either. My guess at having you reinitialize the INI was going on the assumption that maybe your old INI was telling BibleWorks to look for something that you just removed and so resetting it might fix the hiccup. I'm sorry it didn't work as I had hoped!
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Dale A. Brueggemann View Post
    And I'll bet lots of the users are less strict about the Sabbath than BW is, so you might even get "support" on a Sunday afternoon.
    Sunday, huh? Ooooohhhhh.