Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BW9: Is it worth an upgrade from BW8?

Default BW9: Is it worth an upgrade from BW8?

I've been using BW for six or seven years and have been pretty faithful in following the upgrade path. This time around (i.e., with the release of BW9), I'm not so eager, in part because I'm watching my budget more carefully. I guess I'm willing to be persuaded, though.

My question: do you think an upgrade from BW8 to BW9 is worth it? Please provide specifics.

Thank you.

I'll just add, sidewise, that I wonder if the BW folks are their own worst enemies simply because BW8 is such a terrific, terrific product. I remember when notes were first introduced -- wasn't that about BW6? The whole was a little buggy, and there had to be frequent updates to address issues. But about with 7 they were stabilized and put on steroids. Then 8 was gilding the lily, if that's the expression. I think one can be forgiven for wondering how such a great version can be improved on.

I look forward to finding out by experience, as well as reading others' thoughts.
    Dan Phillips
    Books:Web presence:
    tfo+[]l;w> hw"hy> tr:AT-ta, vArd>li Abb'l. !ykihe ar"z>[, yKi

s `jP'(v.miW qxo laer"f.yIB. dMel;l.W

I think that it matters on what you are hoping to do. I personally think that this has been the best update I have seen them do. I used version 3.5, 5, 7,8, and now 9. However, I also tend to focus on the Greek Text, and have been eagerly waiting for a good textual critical apparatus to come out other than NA. This newest addition adds the CNTTS database, as well as the Manuscript project which make textual criticism easier to understand and closer to the original manuscripts. I have also found myself using the "use" tab quite a bit. So for me, this was a worthy update, but I have read others on these forums who focus mainly on the Hebrew and for them they do not see upgrade as good for them.
    Chris Sansom
    M. Div. Concordia Seminary
    Google+
    Facebook!
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Sansom48 View Post
    ...I also tend to focus on the Greek Text, and have been eagerly waiting for a good textual critical apparatus to come out other than NA. This newest addition adds the CNTTS database, as well as the Manuscript project which make textual criticism easier to understand and closer to the original manuscripts.
    So, has it helped you figure out that whole ending-of-Mark thingie?

(c;
    Dan Phillips
    Books:Web presence:
    tfo+[]l;w> hw"hy> tr:AT-ta, vArd>li Abb'l. !ykihe ar"z>[, yKi

s `jP'(v.miW qxo laer"f.yIB. dMel;l.W

Cool I focus mostly on the Hebrew Bible, and I upgraded!

...do you think an upgrade from BW8 to BW9 is worth it?
    Yes, I do!

Please provide specifics.
    Firstly, I personally would like to support what I believe BibleWorks is trying to. I am well aware that BW is a business rather than a non-profit, but their vision to disseminate broadly, and promote the use of the very texts that the early communities of faith used without any extra cost is one worthwhile. Purchasing an upgrade (or licensing BW9) is one way to help support the continuation of this project. The Manuscript project in time may very well come to include Hebrew and Aramaic texts if this great work is able to continue.

Secondly, if you study the NT, use it in ministry, or teach it you really owe it to yourself to get BibleWorks9! Version9 offers even more high quality tools to help you rightly divide the word of truth and come to your own conclusion concerning the evidence. Not, only will you be able to consult the CNTTS apparatus, but you will also be provided with the tools to checkout it's citations in form of manuscript transcription and images. It you have difficulty deciphering the apparatus and variants with a few clicks you can find help and translations. The study notes from the NET Bible, The notes from the ESV(should you chose to add it), the textual commentary of the NT, and Tischendorf apparatus are now provided in the new 'verse tab' and scroll right along with any Greek (or any other Bible version or translation). Yes, some of these tools were provided before but not in the same-way. Even, more Greek NT texts have been added to an already incredible lineup!

Thirdly, the Westminster Hebrew Morphology 4.14 is now provided. It may not seem like a big deal, but not all Bible-software companies offer upgrades to the WHM. BibleWorks, then is offering the latest scholarship and corrections of Hebrew morphology to learned world. If, you run queries on the WHM, then I really believe that this is worth the upgrade price alone.

Fourthly, if you are studying the difference between various texts you can now simply click a button and the differences between texts will be highlighted. I use this tool a lot and like it. (There was a way to do this before but it required a lot more steps)

And, finally the icons have been updated!
    Of course BW's has done a whole lot more and it may be better just to check the their homepage as well as watching a few videos. BUT please keep in mind this represents my opinion(s); meaning you do not have to agree with me on the issue(s).
    Last edited by bkMitchell; 08-02-2011 at 08:12 PM. Reason: foolish typos I made
    Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/

I haven't seen it mentioned any place else, but included as part of the manuscript project are the transcription and morphology marking tools used by the BW staff.

YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN MANUSCRIPT TRANSCRIPTIONS AND MORPHOLOGY VERSIONS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bobvenem View Post
    I haven't seen it mentioned any place else, but included as part of the manuscript project are the transcription and morphology marking tools used by the BW staff.

YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN MANUSCRIPT TRANSCRIPTIONS AND MORPHOLOGY VERSIONS!!!
    Not to toot my own horn Bob, but you must have missed it.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Brian, thanks for your detailed response. It was very helpful.

On a lighter note, you wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by bkMitchell View Post
    Yes, I do!

"... BibleWorks9! Version9 offers even more high quality tools to help you rightly divide the word of truth and come to your own concussion concerning the evidence.
    I know this was a typo, but it happens to be a perfect description of how I have sometimes felt after spending hours on end trying to work through an exegetical problem!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by dhave View Post
    Brian, thanks for your detailed response. It was very helpful.
    AND, thank you for mentioning my typo I have fixed it but, it was rather funny as long as it didn't scare anyone.
    Please, take it easy on those exegetical essays.
    Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    Not to toot my own horn Bob, but you must have missed it.
    The lesson, as always: PAY ATTENTION!