Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Campus Crusade for Christ Changes Name, Losing 'Crusade' and 'Christ'

Default Campus Crusade for Christ Changes Name, Losing 'Crusade' and 'Christ'

From the article | "As far as the removal of the word "Christ," the ministry's website said, "Cru enables us to have discussions about Christ with people who might initially be turned off by a more overtly Christian name. We believe that our interaction and our communication with the world will be what ultimately honors and glorifies Christ."

Full Article

What's next, taking "Christ" out of B.C. and Christmas? "Lord" out of A.D.?

I'm sure there are academic reasons or reasons that align with some church growth guru as to why we should tuck our loins between our legs and concede more ground.

I've never had any involvement with the organization, but I would have thought that the offensive term in their name that should have been removed was crusade.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

If you don't mind my pointing it out (well, and even if you do), I mentioned and opined on this in yesterday's Hither and Thither. My commenters had an interesting mix and spread of reactions, and we even had one drive-by from (I think) the man behind the decision, himself. It was not in any way responsive to the discussion, however.
    Dan Phillips
    Books:Web presence:
    tfo+[]l;w> hw"hy> tr:AT-ta, vArd>li Abb'l. !ykihe ar"z>[, yKi

s `jP'(v.miW qxo laer"f.yIB. dMel;l.W

..... but I would have thought that the offensive term in their name that should have been removed was crusade.
    Same here.

If you don't mind my pointing it out (well, and even if you do), I mentioned and opined on this in yesterday's Hither and Thither. My commenters had an interesting mix and spread of reactions, and we even had one drive-by from (I think) the man behind the decision, himself. It was not in any way responsive to the discussion, however.
    I'll have to take a look at that. I'm would inform the drive-by that aureoln, goldenrod, lemon, icterine and mustard, though all sounding quite reasonable are still just shades of yellow.

It does sound as though this re-branding is a rather moot point. I've heard from others who do know about the organization as being active on campuses and they said it is known as "Cru" already and most people on campuses wouldn't even know anything has changed. So in other words, there might be a press release now, but the changes have already been made quite some time ago. But maybe not all deployments of Campus Crusade for Christ is somewhat autonomous. I don't know.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

Default Christ is the Light of the Campuses

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    It does sound as though this re-branding is a rather moot point. I've heard from others who do know about the organization as being active on campuses and they said it is known as "Cru" already and most people on campuses wouldn't even know anything has changed. So in other words, there might be a press release now, but the changes have already been made quite some time ago. But maybe not all deployments of Campus Crusade for Christ is somewhat autonomous. I don't know.
    Sounds fair and reasonable. You are being kind.

My only thing is that they did it. Moot as it may be, it was done and for reasons, according to the article, to improve their ability to generate discussions. I don't buy into this reasoning myself, but whatevs. Many of them are still fighting the good fight. I commend these.

ESV John 1:1-4 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4 In him was life, and the life was the light of men.

ESV John 3:19-20 And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil. 20 For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed.

I suppose the whole conversation is about what it means to evangelize. Is the Gospel sufficient or must there be something added to it or a preparation for it; is conversion a function of God's will or a person's? I happen to fall on the God's will side of things, but it's clear these people are operating with a different set of principles. Otherwise it wouldn't much matter what opinion polls said, would it?
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    I've never had any involvement with the organization, but I would have thought that the offensive term in their name that should have been removed was crusade.
    Very insightful that you should say that, Michael. Years ago, Billy Graham was planning to do a "crusade" in Central Park (NYC). A number of Jewish ministries met with him in the early stages of the planning leading up to that event. (I myself was among several representatives on one of the mission boards.) We explained to him that "crusade" was an offensive term to most Jewish people (as well as Muslims). It brings back memories of the crusades when crusaders crossed Europe en route to the "Holy Land" and in so doing, put many Jews to death. They even rounded up the Jews in Jerusalem, herded them into the central synagogue there, and proceeded to burn down the structure, killing everyone inside. Given that Billy Graham was coming to New York with its significant Jewish population, we requested that he might consider choosing a different name, one that was more sensitive to his potential Jewish hearers. He actually obliged us and called it the "Rally in Central Park."

I certainly don't know the history of Campus Crusade, but it does seem like a rather unfortunate name to choose, even more so in our currently climate. Maybe there is a positive connotation for that word, but I don't know of one. Certainly spiritual warfare is a part of all evangelism, but then call yourselves "spiritual warriors," not "crusaders"
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

Default What's in a name?

I note that Wycliffe Bible Translators adopts the name Summer Institute of Linguistics where it is advisable to do so.

I don't see changing the name as necessarily wicked. As long as they don't change the message.

David McKay