Thread: Problem installing BibleWorks 8 on Parallels 6 with new Mac OSX Lion

Default Problem installing BibleWorks 8 on Parallels 6 with new Mac OSX Lion

Within the last couple days I've upgraded from OSX Snow Leopard to Lion and also purchased and installed Windows 7 on Parallels 6. I can't imagine that the OSX upgrade is the culprit but who knows. Anyway, when I put the BibleWorks 8 disc in my DVD drive I hear it run in the drive, the "Run setup.exe" box comes up and once I click on the link, the disc makes no more noise. The "Install/Reconfigure" screen comes up but when I click on that, the window disappears, I hear nothing more from the disc drive, and nothing happens after that. I've tried many times to reload the disc into the system with no luck. I have no idea what's happening. Do I need a replacement disc? Do I need to install a driver that I'm missing? I'm fairly new to the Mac and Parallels world so any help would be wonderful. Thanks!

Oh, and I should also mention that I've had this installed before on a PC so this is the second time around installing this and it worked fine the first time.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by tentime4 View Post
    Within the last couple days I've upgraded from OSX Snow Leopard to Lion and also purchased and installed Windows 7 on Parallels 6. I can't imagine that the OSX upgrade is the culprit but who knows. Anyway, when I put the BibleWorks 8 disc in my DVD drive I hear it run in the drive, the "Run setup.exe" box comes up and once I click on the link, the disc makes no more noise. The "Install/Reconfigure" screen comes up but when I click on that, the window disappears, I hear nothing more from the disc drive, and nothing happens after that. I've tried many times to reload the disc into the system with no luck. I have no idea what's happening. Do I need a replacement disc? Do I need to install a driver that I'm missing? I'm fairly new to the Mac and Parallels world so any help would be wonderful. Thanks!

Oh, and I should also mention that I've had this installed before on a PC so this is the second time around installing this and it worked fine the first time.

Adam
    I didn't see any replies so I thought I would try to help. A few things I would try:

1) Try Right-clicking on the setup program and selecting "run as administrator" and see what happens.

2) Try a different DVD drive, especially one with a different interface (USB vs Sata vs IDE).

3) If your parallels environment (which I know nothing about) has options regarding drivers for the DVD drive, try different settings.

4) If parallels is virtualizing the DVD drive, find out if it is possible to read it directly from Windows 7. (DVD pass thru)

5) Rip the DVD to an image file, and mount the image file in Windows 7 (Daemon tools lite works great and is free). Try running setup that way. If this doesn't work, nothing will.

6) Get support on Parallels 6 regarding DVD driver issues.
    Last edited by johns; 07-21-2011 at 05:15 PM.

Default May be Parallels

It may be Parallels. First make sure you have the latest version of Parallels - you can download it from their website. There are still several glitches in Parallels with Lion. Please see this article in the Parallels knowledge base.

http://kb.parallels.com/111614

It is my guess that they will continue to fix these issues with Lion but might take a little while.

Blessings
    Orville

Default New version of P6

Parallels just released a new version with numerous bug fixes. Check it out here: http://kb.parallels.com/111612

Orville

Default Thanks for the help, still not working.

I tried all of these things, updated Parallels, tried the Daemon stuff (failed every time saying there was something that was blocked), and couldn't do any of that other stuff.

What I'm wondering is if Parallels isn't taking my DVD drive from my Mac into Windows 7 and instead is only a CD-Rom drive. It comes up as an OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5970H ATA Device in Windows 7 but then in the Properties and Details of the drive it calls it a Standard CD-Rom drive. I'm using a DVD to install the BibleWorks 8, could this be the problem? Do I need to get replacement CDs? Or, is there a driver that I can download so that I can run DVDs in Windows 7 through Parallels?

Thanks for the help!!

Adam

Do any DVDs you have work in Parallels? It is possible that it's the DVD, but it seems highly unlikely.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default More information

Have you gone through this yet?

http://download.parallels.com/deskto...uide/22289.htm

Orville

Default May Have Narrowed It Down

First of all, I tried to play a DVD in Windows media and this is what it said when I tried to play it. "Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card." So, obviously the drive is messed up. Any good fixes for that?

Also, Orville I ran that configuration you posted and everything was as it should be and still doesn't work. Still disappearing and not doing anything when I press Install/Reconfigure on the dialog box that comes up.
    Last edited by tentime4; 07-27-2011 at 12:07 PM.