Thread: Chinese FlashCards and English Flashcards using BW

Hybrid View

Default Chinese FlashCards and English Flashcards using BW

I am looking for a way to use CNV5 in the Word List Manager. Also, is there a way to make a flashcard stack in BW that uses the Flashcard module with Chinese or English instead of Greek/Hebrew? And I would of course want a standard Mandarin pronunciation to go with the audio and American English Broadcast Standard for the English. This would allow English teachers (who are missionaries) and missionaries who are trying to learn Chinese, to do so in an integrated way with their Bible classes.

The problem I see with Mandarin is that Characters are not exactly like letters. So for the name Jesus in English we have five letters that BW automatically clumps as a group we call a word. But in Chinese, each character seems to be treated individually in BW, and for Jesus we have two characters. But the name Jesus in Mandarin cannot be searched on as a word, it can only be searched on as a phrase. Unless there's a trick to it that I don't know yet (there probably is).

Then could we develop a flashcard module for English words in say the book of Jude and create a training card deck for people who are going to enroll in a book study of Jude in English? If so, how would you do that?

Quote Originally Posted by dbielby View Post
    The problem I see with Mandarin is that Characters are not exactly like letters. So for the name Jesus in English we have five letters that BW automatically clumps as a group we call a word.
    Chinese is syllablic (as are many of the languages of the ancient middle East, e.g. Ugaritic). Each character represents a syllable, which usually begins with a consonant sound and ends with a vowel sound. Chinese also "clumps" characters into groups of words, but in writing it does not divide the words from one another by spaces, just as ancient Hebrew and Greek manuscripts of the Bible did not divide words. You just have to figure out where the words end by knowing the vocabulary.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbielby View Post
    But in Chinese, each character seems to be treated individually in BW, and for Jesus we have two characters. But the name Jesus in Mandarin cannot be searched on as a word, it can only be searched on as a phrase. Unless there's a trick to it that I don't know yet (there probably is).
    Yes, each character is treated individually (except that you can't copy and paste individual characters properly, you need to copy at least two). No, there is no unknown trick (yet) to search for Chinese words. You have to know which characters make up the word for "Jesus" and search on that "string" of two characters. The programmers do not know Mandarin. And there is no substitute for knowing the language, if you want to search for words in languages without spaces between words. Trial and error is all I know.
    Mark Eddy
    Last edited by Mark Eddy; 07-20-2011 at 11:56 PM.