Thread: Installation of BW on several Computers

Default Installation of BW on several Computers

Dear Friends of BW9,
    I use one PC at home and two Laptop-Computers abroad. I want to have BibleWorks on each of my computers. That's why I want to ask, how often I can install it. Is it possible to do this on 3 different computers as in my case?
    Thanks for an answer !
    Peter, Germany
    www.streitenberger.com

Hi Peter,
    This is a quote from the BibleWorks website:
    May I Install BibleWorks On More Than One Computer?

Many who purchase BibleWorks have multiple computers on which it could be installed and used. One may have a computer in the office and one at home, and would like to have the program available on both for use. Since many programs permit installation on only one computer, one may ask whether the same is true of BibleWorks.

Actually, the license agreement for a single-user license copy of BibleWorks permits that one may
    "...use the BibleWorks software and databases: (a) on a single, non-networked computer, or (b) on several non-networked computers provided that the BibleWorks software and databases are not used by more than one user per license fee paid at any one time, or (c) on several computers in a single local area network, provided that the BibleWorks software and databases are not used by more than one user per license fee paid at any one time..." (see the complete End-User License Agreement here or in the BibleWorks Online Help, Chapter 49)

Thus, one could conceivably install BibleWorks on a computer at home, one at the office, and on a laptop. The only condition is that only one person will be using it at one time. If more than one person is to use the program, then additional licenses should be acquired, or a site license may be preferred. See the
    BibleWorks site or contact BibleWorks for pricing.

Dear Joan, thank you a lot ! It's clear now and I understand it.
    See you soon !
    Peter, Germany

Also beware that too many re-activations can trigger BibleWorks to stop activating your software. So if you install it to several computers and then re-install it, you could run into problems. If that happens you have to contact tech support to get it activated.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

ok, Michael ! Thanks for this hint.
    Peter

Default Is activation of software necessary?

If one has activated the software on the first computer, is it necessary to activate it on a second or subsequent computers?

Also if you are re-installing the same software on a computer where it was previously installed and activated, is it necessary to activate it again?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneAlder View Post
    If one has activated the software on the first computer, is it necessary to activate it on a second or subsequent computers?
    Yes. If you install it on a new computer, you have to activate on a new computer.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneAlder View Post
    Also if you are re-installing the same software on a computer where it was previously installed and activated, is it necessary to activate it again?

Thanks.
    I think it depends. I've re-installed it to the same folder (but haven't completely deleted that folder) and not had to re-activate. But I think if you do something like reformat your computer and reinstall it on that computer you would have to re-activate it.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default Later BW versions wipe out earlier ones, even if full installation but not upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    Yes. If you install it on a new computer, you have to activate on a new computer.

I think it depends. I've re-installed it to the same folder (but haven't completely deleted that folder) and not had to re-activate. But I think if you do something like reformat your computer and reinstall it on that computer you would have to re-activate it.
    Yes, this was my experience, too. WARNING: if like me you purchased a second full copy of a later version (not merely an upgrade) but you want to run both versions on the same computer, the later version will trash the earlier one, though remembering some of the settings. Then you have to re-install the earlier version. The instructions say that the new installation, if a full installation rather than an upgrade, won't harm any other installation; but that's not true, at least for my BW8 full installation on the same netbook (Acer Aspire) as held my full BW5 full version.

Solution: first install the LATER version on a computer which has no BW on it. Then install your second, separately purchased earlier version. Maybe you don't need to have two separate versions purchased if on the same computer, if you are one user for both. I just prefer to do it that way.
    'brainouty' on Youtube and , http://www.vimeo.com/brainout