View Poll Results: What do users think of the new BibleWorks 9 icons?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • They don't matter to me. I just focus on the text, ha ha ha.

2 40.00%
  • They are ugly and distracting

1 20.00%
  • I paid good money for this program! Replace the icons!

1 20.00%
  • I have no opinion

0 0%
  • Christian software doesn't have to be as good of quality as what the world puts out.

1 20.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BibleWorks 9 - Icons - Horrible Quality

Default BibleWorks 9 - Icons - Horrible Quality

First, let me say, I am a fan of BibleWorks. I purchased version 8 and just received version 9. While the icons in version 8 were simplistic maybe, they were not looking ugly, as in version 9. Version 9's icons are extremely poor quality and UGLY. I can only hope that in an update - shortly to follow - that the icons will be replaced! Common guys, can't you pay a professional to make you high quality icons?! Afterall, you are selling software! I am sure a few hundred dollars would be enough to get a good set of icons! Why do you want to turn people off from using the program? I can barely look at it, because of these ugly buttons to click!

Clearly we're not going to agree since I don't think the buttons are horrendous. Maybe I'll be in the minority, who knows.

Aside from your campaign to get BibleWorks to change the buttons you have a couple of other options. In the View menu, you can uncheck the Show Main Toolbar under the Toolbar item, or you can revert to the classic toolbar if the new ones prove too much for you to handle.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

I'm sorry, but your "poll" is biased to only one conclusion - that the icons are bad.

The poll does allow for mockery, rejection, and a lack of opinion, but not for anything positive.

Personally, I have not ordered BW9 (well, not yet anyway!) but from looking at the setup onthe website I feel that the icons are a definite improvement over BW8.Unfortunately, your "poll" does not allow this response option.

I think the icons for BW9 are an improvement over the icons of BW8. Some will take a little getting used to what they do, but that is true for anything new. I am really enjoying this new version, especially the fourth column. Great work BW staff.

Default The positive response

@jimofbentley - The positive response, while admittedly sarcastic is, "They don't matter to me. I just focus on the text, ha ha ha."

@Michael Hanel - The point is, these are the default icons that display when you start the program and they are absolutely ugly. They are worse than version 8. And I would have thought, after almost three years of waiting on the new version to come out, they would have at least worked on the interface more and used professional icons.

Furthermore, there are lots of sites out there that offer free or open source icons that would cost very little, as far as license to use in the program. But, I am confident - since I know designers - that these icons could have been made for very little money.

Name:  BibleWorks_9_Interface_Icons.png
Views: 378
Size:  74.2 KB

Make sure to view the attached print screen fully, not just as it appears in the post here. Right click and chose to view the image or download it. Make sure to use your options to zoom in to 100%.

I really like the new icons. For me they're easier on the eyes than the V8 one's. They're bigger and more detailed. I guess this is just an opinion thing.

I vote to leave em they way they are. They're perfect!

Dave
    David Spear
    Calvary Chapel of Manassas
    Manassas, Va. 20110
    http://www.calvarychapelmanassas.org/
    KJV Romans 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without (apart from) the deeds of the law.

Quote Originally Posted by calvary View Post
    I really like the new icons. For me they're easier on the eyes than the V8 one's. They're bigger and more detailed. I guess this is just an opinion thing.

I vote to leave em they way they are. They're perfect!

Dave
    I have to fully agree with Dave. I think the new icons are great!

Irving

Thumbs up Icons improved

I think the icons are improved over BW8. They are more intuitive, IMHO. The color scheme does change the screen.

No poll category seems appropriate. I will refrain from the poll.

(I won't go into my opinion about icon "improvements" from software giants.

Default Icons

The poll stinks, because it only invites useless mockery; the icons are good. I especially like that BW has made the function of each icon more graphically apparent than they were in earlier versions (e.g., a key for keywords in context, scales for comparing texts, etc.).

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

Default Buttonbar in BW9

Quote Originally Posted by HisExcellentWord View Post
    First, let me say, I am a fan of BibleWorks. I purchased version 8 and just received version 9. While the icons in version 8 were simplistic maybe, they were not looking ugly, as in version 9. Version 9's icons are extremely poor quality and UGLY. I can only hope that in an update - shortly to follow - that the icons will be replaced! Common guys, can't you pay a professional to make you high quality icons?! Afterall, you are selling software! I am sure a few hundred dollars would be enough to get a good set of icons! Why do you want to turn people off from using the program? I can barely look at it, because of these ugly buttons to click!
    For what it is worth, the icons were passed by a lot of people before release and they were universally liked. Also for what it is worth the buttons are commercially developed designs which we modified slightly in a few cases. I personally think they are a big improvement. You certainly have a right to dislike them. But I think the majority of our users will disagree and a few (like me) will find your sarcasm more than a little off-putting. We welcome suggestions and criticism when it is offered with a little Christ-like humility and an obvious desire to be helpful. Input that is lacking those qualities is still processed, but not taken very seriously.

Mike