Thread: Bible versions and their costs

Thumbs up Bible versions and their costs

I would have posted this above, but I think it could quickly drift off-topic, but I saw this and thought it was a marvelous example of what it means to understand the Bible as God's Word. The first is a question directed to Maurice Robinson, who has helped to edit the Byzantine text (BYZ) in BibleWorks.

Compare this:

3. What reasons led you to self-publish your New Testament and accompanying article as opposed to choosing a more well-known publisher?

Some time ago I presented a faculty lecture/ETS paper on “Copyright and the Bible,” in which I criticized those marketers who deliberately enrich themselves by making merchandise (2Co 2:17) of the divinely revealed Scriptures. If the Bible really is the word of God written, it was divinely intended for wide dissemination and proclamation to all people with no restrictions at the lowest possible cost. In an unsolicited email, a Christian publisher who shared the same views inquired regarding the feasibility of reprinting a public domain tr edition. The conversation soon turned to the possibility of a new public domain edition of the Byzantine Textform. That publisher (Chilton Book Publishing — not a “self-publishing” or “vanity press” outfit by any means!) agreed to typeset and publish the new edition with no copyright restriction, and also to sell the published copies at cost (printing, binding, and shipping), with no profit to either of us. That we have done for the glory of God, and thereby hope to send a message of some import to the various publishers and marketers, including the Bible Societies. Had the same volume been published through standard commercial channels, such certainly would not have occurred (nor would most commercial publishers have much interest in a Greek text that differs from what is popularly accepted in modern critical editions).
    with this:

Copyright Information

The NIV text may be quoted in any form (written, visual, electronic or audio), up to and inclusive of five hundred (500) verses without express written permission of the publisher, providing the verses do not amount to a complete book of the Bible nor do the verses quoted account for twenty-five percent (25%) or more of the total text of the work in which they are quoted.
    When the NIV is quoted in works that exercise the above fair use clause, notice of copyright must appear on the title or copyright page or opening screen of the work (whichever is appropriate) as follows:
    THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.™ Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
    These Scriptures are copyrighted by the Biblica, Inc.™ and have been made available on the Internet for your personal use only. Any other use including, but not limited to, copying or reposting on the Internet is prohibited. These Scriptures may not be altered or modified in any form and must remain in their original context. These Scriptures may not be sold or otherwise offered for sale.
    These Scriptures are not shareware and may not be duplicated.
    When quotations from the NIV text are used in non-salable media such as church bulletins, orders of service, posters, transparencies or similar media, a complete copyright notice is not required, but the initial NIV must appear at the end of each quotation.
    Any commentary or other Biblical reference work produced for commercial sale that uses the New International Version must obtain written permission for the use of the NIV text.
    Permission requests for commercial use within the U.S. and Canada that exceed the above guidelines must be directed to, and approved in writing by, Zondervan, 5300 Patterson Avenue SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49530.
    Permission requests for commercial use within the U.K., EEC, and EFTA countries that exceed the above guidelines must be directed to, and approved in writing by, Hodder & Stoughton Ltd., a member of the Hodder Headline Plc. Group, 338 Euston Road, London NW1 3BH.
    "New International Version” and “NIV” are registered trademarks of Biblica, Inc.™.
    In my opinion Maurice Robinson's philosophy is closer to where I think BibleWorks tries to operate. People should receive return for their labor, but when it comes for the Bible, costs should be as low as possible.

The reality is, however, that very few Bible versions operate like Maurice Robinson's and really no mainstream scholarly tools (lexica, grammars) that I can think of. All those things have costs associated with them that BibleWorks must pay. What's amazing to me is, in light of that, how low they are still able to keep the price for BibleWorks itself.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Well said. This is particularly true for local churches (our congregation is involved in distributing free copies of the Gospel of John through various channels; if not for the de facto "copyright-free" King James Version, this would be cost-prohibitive, if not impossible).

That is why I like the World English Bible -- it is free and there is no copyright plus they have audio on librivox.org free.

As one struggling to write a book the limitations of the agreements are daunting and the end of use agreements makes one wonder if there will be a bump in restrictions associated with a cost. I like simple.

Kimba, I had never heard of the World English Bible. I see on their website they have a version that works in BibleWorks, but I can't tell if there's a difference between it and the version that they have on their website. Do you know anything about it?

BibleWorks version found here.

Their new website is here.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

Since the Bibleworks version is the older version I imagine so. Since I am writing a book and using the WEB I have not notice anything, though I should run it through a compare tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimba View Post
    Since the Bibleworks version is the older version I imagine so. Since I am writing a book and using the WEB I have not notice anything, though I should run it through a compare tool.
    Sorry, like I said, the WEB hasn't been on my radar before this. Do you already have a new version of it for BibleWorks? I can put it on the BibleWorks blog if so. Based on the little I could find, it looked like the NT in the WEB file I linked to above should be the same but there might be revisions to the OT.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!