Thread: Digital voice recorders

Hybrid View

Default Digital voice recorders

Does anyone have any experience with digital voice recorders? The main use I would have for one is recording sermons and classes.

These are two of the ones I am currently considering:
    Sony ICD-PX312 Digital Flash Voice Recorder

or
    Olympus VN-8100PC Digital Voice Recorder 142600 (Silver and Black)

But by no means does that mean I'm only open to those two. Basically I'm interested in knowing if you have any experience with any.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Either of the recorders you've chosen will do the job just fine. I've used both Sony and Olympus recorders for sermons and classes and haven't had any trouble with either. The older Sony recorders required some proprietary software which was a hassle, but it looks like the Sony ICD-PX312 mounts as a regular flash drive.

As far as audio quality, both of these should be pretty good--definitely good enough to hear the speaker clearly. I'd be happy to answer any other questions if I can, but it looks like you've already done your homework and made some good choices.

-Rusty

Quote Originally Posted by rdtaylorjr View Post
    Either of the recorders you've chosen will do the job just fine. I've used both Sony and Olympus recorders for sermons and classes and haven't had any trouble with either. The older Sony recorders required some proprietary software which was a hassle, but it looks like the Sony ICD-PX312 mounts as a regular flash drive.

As far as audio quality, both of these should be pretty good--definitely good enough to hear the speaker clearly. I'd be happy to answer any other questions if I can, but it looks like you've already done your homework and made some good choices.

-Rusty
    I know this separates the budget recorders from the more expensive ones, but it seems like the cheaper ones, including the ones above, record in mono. Does that mean if I play the recordings back on my computer it will only come out of one speaker? Do you have any clips from any of these that you can share so I can hear the sound quality?
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default Sony Recorder

For several yrs, I have used a Sony ICD-P17. I'm sure newer recorders are now available which are even better. I have been very satisfied with this unit, although I have to run the recording through the software that came with the recorder to convert the file to .wav or other formats. I also use GoldWave audio software to clean up the recording.

I am using the Olympus WS-331M for recording lectures and sermons. I like it and have no complaints.
    here is the Olympus link:
    http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...p?id=1292&fl=2

here is the amazon link, though I think its been replaced:
    http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-WS-331.../dp/B000P6M6GK

if/when I need to replace it I will probably by Olympus.
    reading the reviews of your selections on Amazon, I would recommend that you read the negative comments first, and see if they sound like legitimate complaints or defects. I noticed the Sony had mostly good comments. I would also say splurge if it is possible and get one that records in stereo, you wont regret it even if you just record a single speaker.

May the Lord Bless You.
    Last edited by Busdriver; 07-19-2011 at 12:07 AM.