Thread: Problem with fonts in Calvin's Commentaries using Vista

Hybrid View

Default Problem with fonts in Calvin's Commentaries using Vista

I am having trouble getting the Hebrew and Greek fonts to appear in Calvin's Commentaries in vista. I am using Bibleworks 7, Vista, and have already installed the latest fonts, and researched other issues on this forum to resolve. I am having no luck, and would greatly appreciate the help.

Quote Originally Posted by pastormann View Post
    I am having trouble getting the Hebrew and Greek fonts to appear in Calvin's Commentaries in vista. I am using Bibleworks 7, Vista, and have already installed the latest fonts, and researched other issues on this forum to resolve. I am having no luck, and would greatly appreciate the help.
    Because Calvin's Commentaries is a user-made module, there is no support for it through the official means and it appears the fonts it uses are not the normal BibleWorks fonts, so it's not a BibleWorks problem. The problem is that whatever fonts the Calvin's Commentaries was made with (and it was not done in Unicode), those fonts are not currently installed on your computer. I'll try to do some investigating to see if I can figure out what fonts it needs. The solution once you figure that out is simply to install those fonts and it should work.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

The font used for Greek in Calvin's commentaries is "Koine-Medium." It displays fine on my Windows 7 computer. The Hebrew font is OLDHEB, and it does not display properly under Windows 7. It just displays as if it were transliterated into English/Latin letters.
    If whoever compiled Calvin's commentaries for BW can check with the source of his digital text, he might be able to find these fonts and perhaps make them available too. Some of these user databases are taken from web sites. Others were taken from software developed in the 1980s or early 90s to get public domain texts digitized fast. Who knew then that that people would try to read their work without the proper fonts?
    Although Calvin's works are in public domain, the fonts used might have been copyrighted. And regrettably fonts seem to change a couple times each decade. I wrote papers in the 1990s using a Greek font which current Windows no longer provides, so I can't read the Greek which I wrote only 15 years ago. It is frustrating.
    Mark Eddy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    The font used for Greek in Calvin's commentaries is "Koine-Medium." It displays fine on my Windows 7 computer. The Hebrew font is OLDHEB, and it does not display properly under Windows 7. It just displays as if it were transliterated into English/Latin letters.
    If whoever compiled Calvin's commentaries for BW can check with the source of his digital text, he might be able to find these fonts and perhaps make them available too. Some of these user databases are taken from web sites. Others were taken from software developed in the 1980s or early 90s to get public domain texts digitized fast. Who knew then that that people would try to read their work without the proper fonts?
    Although Calvin's works are in public domain, the fonts used might have been copyrighted. And regrettably fonts seem to change a couple times each decade. I wrote papers in the 1990s using a Greek font which current Windows no longer provides, so I can't read the Greek which I wrote only 15 years ago. It is frustrating.
    Mark Eddy
    Thanks for figuring that out Mark.

Koine-medium appears to be available here. I cannot immediately find OLDHEB...
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

Default Fonts fo9r Calvin Commentaries

Sorry about the omission of the fonts. I attach them as Fonts.zip.

Regards,
    Willem
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank you for providing the fonts, Willem. Installing them in BW and among the Windows fonts makes Greek and Hebrew display properly for Calvin's commentaries. Thanks again.
    Mark Eddy

Quote Originally Posted by Willem Swanepoel View Post
    Sorry about the omission of the fonts. I attach them as Fonts.zip.

Regards,
    Willem
    Willem,

Someone reported that in a few places the fonts still don't work. It looks like there is also a font called OLBGRK that is needed. Do you have that as well?
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

Thank you!