Thread: BibleWorks 9 - The Manuscripts Project

Hybrid View

Default BibleWorks 9 - The Manuscripts Project

By far the biggest game-changer (in my opinion) to BibleWorks 9 (and to Bible software in general!) is the BibleWorks Manuscripts Project. I've written a bit about it on the unofficial BibleWorks blog.

You can also see a video of it in action here. View the video on the MSS Tab.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Thumbs up I agree...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    By far the biggest game-changer (in my opinion) to BibleWorks 9 (and to Bible software in general!) is the BibleWorks Manuscripts Project.
    I thought BibleWorks 7 and version 8 were pretty significant upgrades, BUT by adding the MSS project and the CNTTS Critical Apparatus version 9 has taken things in an entirely different direction from the rest of the pack.

For New Testament research BWs has always been number one in my book because they provided the most Greek Texts and morphologies in one base package(without any extra fees) with the ability to compare, contrast them, and highlight their differences in seconds!

I read through your blog post Michael Hanel and if I had not already wanted to get v9, you would have sold me on it with these words of yours:
    The biggest reason why I think BW9 is worth the update is because you will be supporting this project. Whereas other publishers fight over who can control the textual apparatus materials from some of these ancient texts, BibleWorks is attempting to make them available to more people than ever before in ways that will only increase the amount of work that can be done with them. Don’t think the project of textual criticism is over. In some ways, it’s only just beginning.
    (link)
    Last edited by bkMitchell; 06-28-2011 at 09:09 PM.
    Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bkMitchell View Post
    I thought BibleWorks 7 and version 8 were pretty significant upgrades, BUT by adding the MSS project and the CNTTS Critical Apparatus version 9 has taken things in an entirely different direction from the rest of the pack.
    It really is a bold step. I don't know whether it will be well received or not, but to realize that BibleWorks has been working on this for years and then to see what the implementation of it looks like, well it's just mind-blowing. This is no hastily thought out plan. They've really dug deep and done their best to figure out how to do this well. When I think about how much I wanted the Nestle-Aland apparatus in BibleWorks (which probably will never be available because of the German Bible Societies' restrictions), I'm kind of embarrassed. The combination of this and the CNTTS is light-years beyond the NA27 apparatus. Rather than simply giving us an apparatus (the CNTTS) or reverse engineering transcriptions from apparatuses (which would only reproduce errors in the apparatuses), they decided to do it the hard way, by going back to the sources.

Commentaries will come and go, but work like this will withstand the test of time and I hope others find it valuable to their study of God's Word.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    The combination of this and the CNTTS is light-years beyond the NA27 apparatus.
    Not, to mention the The Text Of The Earliest New Testament Greek Manuscripts module. Plus, the other apparatuses, and Greek Texts that Bibleworks already had.

Rather than simply giving us an apparatus (the CNTTS) or reverse engineering transcriptions from apparatuses (which would only reproduce errors in the apparatuses), they decided to do it the hard way, by going back to the sources.
    This is really cool! I know they are already successful, but I hope and pray that more people and organizations that hold the rights to textual images of manuscripts will come on board and help with this project. If I had access to manuscripts and the permission to digital photography I am sure I'd love it. Unfortunately, I don't think there are any good Biblical manuscripts in Japan, but if I ever come across some I'll be sure to get their photos.

When I think about how much I wanted the Nestle-Aland apparatus in BibleWorks (which probably will never be available because of the German Bible Societies' restrictions), I'm kind of embarrassed.
    I know how you feel! But, I also think back to 3rd year Greek when all I had was Gramcord, I thought it was so advanced (and I still have a lot of respect of it) but I didn't enjoy using it very much. Then I was introduced to BibleWorks with it's spiffy command-line and ASE(now GSE). I wish I had known about BW when I was in school it would have made my work a whole lot easier.

Commentaries will come and go, but work like this will withstand the test of time and I hope others find it valuable to their study of God's Word.
    so, true!
    Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/

Default The Manuscripts Project

I get all warm and fuzzy inside when I see these old manuscripts. All of them were at one time treasured possessions of churches and groups of churches, way before the printing press was even envisioned. It was the God-driven love that former believers had for these precious texts that has preserved them for us. They are worth preserving and appreciating in their own right, quite apart from text-critical issues. We had to move in this direction because it was clear that we would probably never be able to offer the "standard" apparatus to our users, and there was a genuine need to fill, but the deeper hope was that having them would deepen appreciation of our users for what a precious treasure the Word of God is.

Mike is right that this is just the beginning. You can pray for us. The cost of developing these texts is astronomical, especially for a small company, and especially given the fact that we don'f feel right about charging extra for them. If we charged what they are worth only a small handful of people could afford to buy them (we should be charging $200 for each manuscript), and then the purpose of the project would have been lost. Pray also for the CNTTS project. This is a wonderful work that complements what we are trying to do. It was kind of them to agree to keep royalties low enough that we could put the CNTTS material in the base package. If you ever have the opportunity to thank them, please do so. Pray for the CSNTM project as well. There is a lot going on in this area. It remains to be seen how well our work will be received. The textual criticism community is a tough lot! But we have tried to be careful and always remember that we are handling the Word of God!

God bless,
    Mike Bushell
    BibleWorks

After watching the video about the MSS project I don't even know what to say except WOW! I'm trying to wrap my mind around the different ways it might be used. Praise the Lord for the immense amount of work the BW team put into this.

Blessings to you all,
    Dave
    David Spear
    Calvary Chapel of Manassas
    Manassas, Va. 20110
    http://www.calvarychapelmanassas.org/
    KJV Romans 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without (apart from) the deeds of the law.

Truly amazing. I have chills going down my spine watching the video showing all BW9 will be able to do. The textual criticism tools alone are worth far more than the upgrade price. Thank you for all you do!
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.