Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Is BDAG worth the cost?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    254

    Default Is BDAG worth the cost?

    I have had the print version of BAGD (2nd edition) and have used it regularly for 20 years or so. I was thinking of purchasing either the BW add on or the print version of BDAG (3rd edition).

    For the average pastor, who uses his Greek regularly but by no means is a "specialist" in Greek, is the 3rd edition worth the cost? ($150. Or $212 as an add on if I also buy HALOT - which I probably would).

    Thanks for your comments.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Yes, they are worth it. Their completeness can be a bit overwhelming, but the timeliness of the research makes them valuable (I'd buy both; the price is right).

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimofbentley View Post
    For the average pastor, who uses his Greek regularly but by no means is a "specialist" in Greek, is the 3rd edition worth the cost? ($150. Or $212 as an add on if I also buy HALOT - which I probably would).
    The 3rd edition print is far nicer than the 2nd edition, and much easier to read and search through, so if you prefer plain old books, it is definitely worth it, IMO.

    However, if you do most of your work on the compter, then by all means you should go with the BibleWorks combo, as you get two values almost for the price of one.

    The real issue is where you spend most of your time, i.e., in books or on the computer. If the latter, go with the BibleWorks combo.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    284

    Default

    I suppose the answer will vary with personal opinion, but I have both the print and BW versions of BDAG (3rd edition), and I think it's money well spent. It's definitely the standard, and I concur with the comments above. Since you already have BAGD in print, you might just get the BW version of BDAG--and yes, do get it with HALOT.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

  5. #5

    Default

    We recommend to our students that they get BDAG, but a good alternative that we also recommend is the Exegetical Dictionary of the NT which is also available in BW.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    We recommend to our students that they get BDAG, but a good alternative that we also recommend is the Exegetical Dictionary of the NT which is also available in BW.
    Thanks Mark (and all the others). I have the print edition of EDNT and find it very helpful.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,093

    Default

    Jim, it sounds like you have already made up your mind, so when you do get the BDAG, here's another helpful article on using it. I know obviously that you know how to use a lexicon, but this does a good job at explaining why the BDAG is not like all other lexica.

    http://www.ntresources.com/documents/UsingBDAG.pdf
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    Jim, it sounds like you have already made up your mind, so when you do get the BDAG, here's another helpful article on using it. I know obviously that you know how to use a lexicon, but this does a good job at explaining why the BDAG is not like all other lexica.

    http://www.ntresources.com/documents/UsingBDAG.pdf

    Michael,

    Thanks for the great article.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    189

    Default And for the other language ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    Jim, it sounds like you have already made up your mind, so when you do get the BDAG, here's another helpful article on using it. I know obviously that you know how to use a lexicon, but this does a good job at explaining why the BDAG is not like all other lexica.
    http://www.ntresources.com/documents/UsingBDAG.pdf
    I found this article to be very useful.
    Is there anyone out there who could/would recommend a similar treatment of HALOT? (especially the historical discussion of where it fits among its peers.)

    By the way, MVGH, I bought the BW Exegetical Dictionary of the NT about a year ago; find that I use it more than BDAG; its slant is more useful to me as a rank amateur. (Just like I often get more from TWOT than from HALOT).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wert View Post

    By the way, MVGH, I bought the BW Exegetical Dictionary of the NT about a year ago; find that I use it more than BDAG; its slant is more useful to me as a rank amateur. (Just like I often get more from TWOT than from HALOT).
    For study in the Hebrew Bible, I also find the following to be very helpful:

    Theological Lexicon of the Old Testament (Jenni & Westermann)

    New International Dictionary of Old Testament Theology and Exegesis (VanGemeren)

    (Having these two are "probably" why I wouldn't buy HALOT on its own).

    However, my wife did say that if I really wanted both BDAG and HALOT she would count it as both my Christmas and Birthday presents for the year.

    And, it is nearly the end of the financial year here in Australia, so I will be putting my income tax return in next month (they are all deductible).

    And, the Australian dollar is very high compared to the US dollar ($1.05 - the highest in 25 years. Just a few years ago the Aussie dollar was as low as $0.50 - now that made books expensive).

    I am so close to convincing myself!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •