Thread: Duplicate Databases in BW7 to view different color-coding schemes simultaneously?

Default Duplicate Databases in BW7 to view different color-coding schemes simultaneously?

Greetings!

I am running BW7 on Windows XP.

Currently, I have extensive color-coding in my WTT and BGT databases, which are working very well.

I would like to put in new color-coding schemes in these databases, but retain the old files. That is, to have alternate copies of WTT and BGT (let's call them WT2 and BG2) that I could pull up in parallel with the current databases WTT and BGT.

Is there a way that I can duplicate the WTT and BGT databases, perhaps by copying, renaming, and re-compiling them as if they were user created?

I think that BW7 allows you to export any of the databases and recompile it as a user version with a different name. I know that BW8 can do that. Go to Tools, Importing/exporting information, Export database, then choose the version you wish to export and follow the directions.
    Mark Eddy

Default Thanks, that's a good start...

Thank you.

I was able to export the WTT database as an RTF without the color-coding. That's a workable solution, if I can import it back in as a different DB. Then I could keep the current color-coded one as it is, and work on this one.

However, I still need to create a DDF file. How do I do that for the Hebrew OT?

Alternatively, would it work to copy the WTT files that BibleWorks creates into the Database folder again, renaming them in the process, and then compile them in BW7 under a different name?

Go to Tools, Importing/exporting information, Version database compiler. It will open a parially filled out .ddf file. If you put your cursor over this window and hit the f1 key, BW help for the Version Database Compiler will open, and you can read the instructions on how to use it.
    In short:
    In line 1. you can click on New. I don't remember if BW has an example of a .ddf file there. I have so many that I just click on one available file and open it (to get the full path), then change the name to the abbreviation I want to use for the book I am compiling.
    On line 2. click on Browse, and you should see your new version of WTT with whatever book abbreviation you gave it.
    On line 3a. you give your verion a name (different from any other in BW) and Version ID (the book abbreviation you used in 1 & 2 (again, different from any other in BW). Click the arrow to the right of Content: and choose OT only.
    Version # is optional. Language, click the arrow and choose Hebrew.
    If you plan also to compile a morphology version, put that abbreviation in the 3b. Compaion line (and when you compile that version the Morph. Coding would be WTM).
    Since your are doing Hebrew, leave section 3c unchanged.
    Be sure that to the left of the Compile button you check "Install after Compiling." Click Compile. And in a few seconds you should have your new Hebrew OT.

If instead of compiling this way, you wanted to copy all the WTT files to another folder (you could not do it within the databases folder) and then change their names, you would have to open up some of the files and change lines for version name and a few others. If you don't make all the changes exactly correctly, BW can't use your file. If you actually made all the correct changes to those files, you could then copy them back into the databases folder, and they should work. But if you had changed version order, your changes would be wiped out, since the default (purely alphabetical order of versions) would be made, now that you have a different number of versions. If you make a version in the VDC, you don't have this problem.
    Mark Eddy

Default Still having problems...

I've been able to compile the Hebrew OT into BW7, but it doesn't come out as Hebrew. Just gobbledygook. Is there a special font setting I should use when I import it? I've tried setting the font to "Default" and to "bhheb," but these do not work to resolve the problem.

Also, should I export the database as Bibleworks, CCAT, or something else?

And finally, do I set the companion version to WTM, keeping in mind that this database is exactly the same as WTT, except with colors added?

Thanks in advance. This is rather frustrating.

I haven't compiled a Hebrew database for a few years, but if I remember correctly BibleWorks exports in BibleWorks format, not CCAT, and it automatically compiles in bwhebb font, if you properly choose the language of the compiler as Hebrew.
    Most of us who have used the database compiler used trial and error at first. So hand in there.
    I would not use WTM as the companion, since it is already the compasion of WTT, and I don't know what unintended consequences there might be, if two versions used it as their companion. If you want to try compiling it with WTM as the companion, if it does not work, you could always recompile it with a different companion, and your original compiling will no longer be around.
    God bless!
    Mark Eddy