Thread: problem with single character, InDesign and bwgrkl

Default problem with single character, InDesign and bwgrkl

I have copied some NT text from Word to InDesign CS3 for Windows. The font being used is BWGRKL. Most of it renders just fine. Except for one accent character: the one rendered when you type an apostrophe. Has anyone else encountered such a problem? What solution have you found?

Quote Originally Posted by breinig View Post
    I have copied some NT text from Word to InDesign CS3 for Windows. The font being used is BWGRKL. Most of it renders just fine. Except for one accent character: the one rendered when you type an apostrophe. Has anyone else encountered such a problem? What solution have you found?
    I don't know anything about InDesign, but occasionally one does run into issues in Word because of their auto-correct features, in particular one called the "smart quotes" feature. Would it be something like this that's causing the problem?
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by breinig View Post
    What solution have you found?
    If you are using BibleWorks version 7 or version 8 you have the option of exporting Greek and Hebrew text as Unicode. That might be a temporary solution till you can figure out what's going on.

While, not about Greek here is a quote from one BW forum user that you might find of interest:
    Despite all the progress made in unicode fonts, I was not comfortable typesetting Hebrew with unicode in MS Word 2003, the word processing program I used to layout the project, and PageMaker 7.0 does not handle unicode fonts at all. (I know about InDesign, but decided to stick with what I knew.) More importantly, I specifically wanted the font face to make shifting back and forth from BHS relatively easy. As a consequence, I developed eight additional TrueType font sets, based on the BibleWorks Hebrew font, to accommodate the varieties of vowel-point + accent positioning. It was also necessary to write code to find these combinations in the text and properly position the vowel-points and accents.
    Taken from the following (link)
    Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/

Default solution to InDesign issue was find/change glyph

Edward from BibleWorks offered me this input:
    Actually, the BWGRKL font is designed for use in the BibleWorks program, and may not always produce the expected results in other programs. A check of this key bore this out in MS Word. In BibleWorks, the key produces a combination soft-breathing mark with a grave accent mark. This is placed over the immediately preceding letter that was typed. In other programs, such as Word and InDesign, they are not accessing the code table in the same way, so the character that results will be the double plus sign that you encountered. There may be others that behave like this.
    In the end, I found using InDesign's find/change of glyphs to enable me to fix the problem.

thanks to those who gave me input.