Thread: Timeline with book dates

Default Timeline with book dates

Has anyone created a timeline with conservative dates for books? Would you be willing to share? It would be great if it somehow referenced the source[s]. I have searched and did not find any user-generated timelines.

I'm sure there are other pages online that have done a similar thing, but this website has one of the more comprehensive lists that I've seen.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default Timeline with book dates

Micheal,

That site is great - I bookmarked it. Do you know anyone who has incorporated this info into a BibleWorks timeline that they might be willing to share?

Unless someone is strictly using it for their own personal needs, I don't recall anyone ever posting anything like that for use specifically in BibleWorks.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by ddinnsen View Post
    Has anyone created a timeline with conservative dates for books? Would you be willing to share? It would be great if it somehow referenced the source[s]. I have searched and did not find any user-generated timelines.

When books were written, is a big debate in Christendom, because people confuse the age of the language with the age of the media on which the language is copied. So the 'skeptics' go by the latter, so they think Bible books were written later; and thereby show ignorance of language age.

I did a website on the NT bookdates, which I basically re-typed from the old KJV Scofield Reference Bible, click here . You can just ignore the rest of the webpage, which uses the book dates to analyze whether any popes existed back in the first century, compared to RCC claims.

The dates in red differ from Scofield because my pastor revised those book dates, based on the actual Greek text. So he used language age, the events recorded in the text, and compared across the books, to derive the revisions. Even so, what he derived is similar to the mainstream pastoral assessments.

I've not yet done a similar thing with respect to OT book dates. Frankly, the text itself tells you the date a book is written, via a meter device, but I'm still studying how it works and where to find it. For example, Moses uses 63 syllables in Psalm 90:1-3 to create a 'dateline' for when he writes that Psalm. It represents 63 sevens from when Israel first entered Egypt: 441 years. So he wrote it, in 1400 BC. Isaiah uses a meter dateline of '42' in Isaiah 1:1, meaning he started his ministry in the 42nd year of Uzziah, which was 42 sevens from the end of Psalm 90. He repeats that dateline function in Isaiah 53's meter (which is how I learned of it in 1:1).

Of course, this aligns with what most conservative scholars expect was the time he began his ministry -- though they don't know about the meter. Same, for Moses. So the meter needs attention, would be a big help. All you do is count syllables in typical Hebrew style, one consonantal sound plus one vowel sound equals one syllable = one year or one set of seven years. Depicted absolutely, from some important date in the past. Here's the rule: when an opening paragraph's syllables is first SYNTACTICALLY divisible by 7 (never divide in the middle of a clause or a word) -- that's a dateline, definable in terms of past dates within Bible itself. Odd how often the dateline conforms to conservative scholarship, which of course derived dates by other means.

Same convention is followed in Daniel 9, as '49' (first paragraph divisible by 7 is the convention), in Daniel 9:4: beginning of the 49th year since Temple fell, which we already know also from Daniel 9:1, as first year Cyrus took over Babylon. I could say more, but you get the idea. Mary, Paul and John use this convention also, hence we can use the same guidelines for NT bible books or statements within books. So I suspect it is a rhetorical standard in all Bible books and prophecies. I've seen many but have only documented a few. Ongoing project.

We don't see this, because we misaccount 'year', in Bible. Bible measures time from Adam's Fall, not creation; and all other timelines are crafted in light of that one. Next, Bible only uses BIRTHDAYS, ANNIVERSARIES: hence only solar years, never lunar. Next problem is our BC/AD conversion, how to set the right BC or AD year, versus the absolute from-Adam's-Fall accounting which Bible begins in Genesis 5. But any schoolkid can add up the begats. It gets trickier to calculate, from Abraham onward, but it can be done. I did it, here. The timeline needs much more work, but its ONLY based on the Bible's text for dates; not based on astronomy, astrology, or any other external dating system. So it is consistent. But of course you can derive your own timeline from the Bible.
    'brainouty' on Youtube and , http://www.vimeo.com/brainout