Thread: Counting differences in text versions

Default Counting differences in text versions

Does anyone know how to get a count of differences in text versions or is it even possible when comparing texts? for instance I am comparing differences with the SCR and WHO Greek text and I can get it to highlight all differences in spelling, omissions, additions, word changes, and word order. but is there any way to get a tally of it all for a particular passage? say for an entire book of the New Testament. thank you for your help. John Newlin

It's a whole lot easier than you might think...

In the "Analysis Window" on the right side of BibleWorks, select the "Analysis" tab.

Now hover your mouse over SCR. All the stats are there, including the word count, which in this case is 140746.

Do the same thing with whatever version you want additional stats for.

Hi John,

After you use the Text Comparsion Settings tool in BibleWorks 8 to identify the differences between two or more texts, you can click the "Export" button at the right side of the Text Comparison Settings Tool to send those verses to the Search Window.

Once you have the verses in the Search Window you can open the Stats Tab in the Analysis Window to view the number of verses that contain a hit. You can select to show the number of verses in a book or the number of verses in a chapter that have differences.

Please let me know if you have any further questions about how to do this.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

For technical support, please contact Customer Support.

Default Amazed again...

I had just stumbled upon the "Export" button on the Text Comparison Tool the other day. I hadn't thought about using the Stats Tab to actually view a breakdown of where differences might emerge. Brilliant!
    Jim Darlack - Associate Director of Goddard Library /
    Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary

Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

Default BibleWorks Classroom Tip 4.5

Don't know how long it has been there, but Classroom Tip 4.5 has detailed coverage of this feature:
    http://www.bibleworks.com/classroom/4_05/index.html

I've found the Classroom Tips well worth visiting now and again to see what new and amazing things have been added.

--Jim