Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NICOT/NICNT Commentaries now in BibleWorks

Quote Originally Posted by ISalzman View Post
    A good wife is a good thing!
    Double the "amen" to that , and then double it again.

A strong support through 33 years of marriage.

How long have you been in Australia?

Quote Originally Posted by jimofbentley View Post
    Me, I still prefer a book.
    I'm generally with you. If I'm going to sit down and read a book, I want to read it in ink on paper, not in pixels on a screen.

But sometimes when I'm studying . . . it's nice to be able to click tabs to go to the different resources I'm consulting, rather than having several books lying face down on my desk, four more on my lap . . . you get the picture. And when traveling, it sure makes it easier to have the resources on my computer than lugging around lexicons, grammars, and commentaries.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

How long have you been in Australia?
    Since February, 1979, after my six years of service in the US Navy were over.

I had met my wife when we pulled into port in Australia for a week's R&R.

After lots of letters (in the days before email) and a couple of visits, we got married.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I'm generally with you. If I'm going to sit down and read a book, I want to read it in ink on paper, not in pixels on a screen.

But sometimes when I'm studying . . . it's nice to be able to click tabs to go to the different resources I'm consulting, rather than having several books lying face down on my desk, four more on my lap . . . you get the picture. And when traveling, it sure makes it easier to have the resources on my computer than lugging around lexicons, grammars, and commentaries.
    I think too, it really depends on how you're reading the book. If you're reading it from cover to cover, then, yes, I like to read with printed volume in hand. But if I'm preparing a sermon on a particular pericope of scripture, it's nice to have your bible and commentary open up to your passage within your bible study software. The amount of text devoted to pericopes in most commentaries is perfectly do-able on a computer screen. But if I'm going to read a book cover to cover, then, yes, I prefer the printed volume.

Quote Originally Posted by jimofbentley View Post
    Since February, 1979, after my six years of service in the US Navy were over.

I had met my wife when we pulled into port in Australia for a week's R&R.

After lots of letters (in the days before email) and a couple of visits, we got married.
    Wow, very interesting story, Jim. 30+ years! Amazing, the twists and turns that our lives take, huh? How often do you get back stateside?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I remember in greater detail and for much longer what I read from books than 1080p. I sort of recall pages. Screen recall fades very quickly.

Wow, very interesting story, Jim. 30+ years! Amazing, the twists and turns that our lives take, huh? How often do you get back stateside?
    Five times in the last 30 years.

The last time was four years ago. As a present to my wife - and in gratitude for all she had to put up with and the extra workload she took on while I did my PhD - I was able to take her on a nice, long holiday. Ireland. Germany. Austria. And finally the US. I think we were gone for about six weeks.

It was great, but I was totally exhausted by the time I got home. It has taken me all this time to even contemplate another trip, let alone actually plan one.

I am contemplating one for the end of next year. My great-great-grandfather was a private in the 26th Arkansas Infantry and fought at the Battle of Prarie Grove in Arkansas. Next year is the 150th anniversary of the battle, and in addition to the normal celebrations and recognitions of the battle, they will be having a re-enactment of the battle as well. I think that that would be interesting, and would help put the books I have read on the battle into a better, visual, context.

I would also like to do some family history research in Arkansas and Tennessee. The event is still 20 months away, and a lot can happen in 20 months, so we will wait and see. Of course, the trip will give me a chance to see my mother and my three sisters again.

Nice. May it all come together for you, Jim.

Is it not correct that you presently have to buy both sets bundled?
    I would prefer them to be splitted.

Morten