Thread: Command line question

Default Command line question

I have question in regards to the command line: When you type in a verse like Mark 12:1 - then the command line will remember the book and chapter you have just typed in making it possible to type in only 13:1 the next time.

However, this info is many times erased from the memory - what is the logic here?
    Like, if you copy a word from the result window, you will not be able to type in the short cut.

Is this a bug or how?

I would prefer BW to remember this info until next time a new book is searched for.

Morten

Quote Originally Posted by MortenJensen View Post
    When you type in a verse like Mark 12:1 - then the command line will remember the book and chapter you have just typed in making it possible to type in only 13:1 the next time.
    Correct, and this should continue to work till you change books.

However, this info is many times erased from the memory - what is the logic here?
    Would you mind elaborating a little more, I am not sure I understand what you mean? Or, at lest I do not notice my particular version of BW erasing anything from the command line memory until I switch books.

if you copy a word from the result window, you will not be able to type in the short cut.
    When, I copy a word from either the browse window or the Analysis window in BW8, and resource/summery tabs, the passage reference to both book and chapter is include, making unnecessary the need to re-type them.

Is this a bug or how?
    I would prefer BW to remember this info until next time a new book is searched for.
    If, I am understanding you right, then I think this is a probably an issue particular to your 'settings' because, I do not notice this difficult with my installation of BW8.
    Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/

Hm, it may be that it has something to do with my settings then. If copy a word from the browse window by highlighten it, then the setting is lost - if no limit is set.
    If, however, a limit is defined, then it is remembered.

Please try on you PC as well to see if you can reproduce this behaviour: No limits; go to Mark 12,28 etc; hightlight a word and copy it; type in 12,29 in the command line: what happens?

Morten

Quote Originally Posted by MortenJensen View Post
    Hm, it may be that it has something to do with my settings then. If copy a word from the browse window by highlighten it, then the setting is lost - if no limit is set. If, however, a limit is defined, then it is remembered...
    By Limits, do you mean search limits. Like at the very bottom of the BW GUI there is a bar with a 'limits' tab/radio button that you can click on or off. My, 'limits' are off.

Provided, I understand the issue, then I am still not seeing any issue or at least the command line seem to continue to remember what book I am in, no matter what I highlight, copy, or select. As, long as I do not change books.
    Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/

I have the same issue, although I cannot seem to find a rhyme or reason for it. And it happens whether or not I have limits set. It seems that when I enter another application (word processor, internet browser, etc.) and go back to BibleWorks is when the issue arises.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

Yes, by limits I mean a range limit in books.
    Morten

I reported something similar to the programmers a couple weeks ago. I was working in Genesis exclusively (but no search limits set), with BibleWorks and MS Word both open, switching focus between the two programs. Sometimes I could type in many references, one after another (e.g. Gen 12:1, then 13:5, then 16:8) and BW would look up the correct verse. At other times it would look up that chapter and verse in a different book of the Bible. I checked to see if I had made the cursor go over a reference in the Analysis window which might have caused the book to change, but the book which BW chose sometimes was not one listed in the BDB entry which I had open in the analysis window (at least that I noticed). So I sent the programmers various steps I took to get BW to "forget" which book I was in. But it was not consistent or repeatable, so it is hard to catch the culprit. But, if any of you wants to take the time to chase down the exact steps which lead to the search book being changed, please send those steps in to tech support. I'm sure that your information would be helpful to the programmers.
    Christ's,
    Mark Eddy

Unfortunately, I have just been able to produce the error with a search limit set as well - so I am afraid I have the same situation as you, Mark: no consistency.

My suggestion would be to program BW to remember the book until something else is told. Then, occasionally, it will be remembered one time too many, but better than not being able to rely on it.

Also: Whenever you set a search limit to a book (e.g. l Mark) - then by default this book should be "remembered".

Morten

In my setup, BW also forgets the book if you open a lexicon box.

Actually a bit frustrating. Would be nice to be able to rely on the short cut typing.

Morten