Thread: Hebrew Israeli keyboard - typing "seen"

Default Hebrew Israeli keyboard - typing "seen"

Does anyone know how to type a "seen" in the Hebrew Israeli keyboard? I know how to type the "sheen" (a) but not the "seen".

Also the Israeli keyboard in BibleWorks seems to match the standard Israeli keyboard for the consonants but not the vowels. The shewa, for example, is the period key. Does anyone know where I can find a layout for the BW Hebrew Israeli keyboard so I can print it?

thanks,
    Charles Grebe
    www.animatedhebrew.com

Default BW Keyboard

In BW8, Tools / Interface Settings / Bibleworks Keyboard.
    Also available on the web: http://www.bibleworks.com/fonts.html

Default Israeli keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ward View Post
    In BW8, Tools / Interface Settings / Bibleworks Keyboard.
    Also available on the web: http://www.bibleworks.com/fonts.html
    This only shows the default Bible Works keyboard, not the Israeli keyboard. Does anyone here use the Israeli keyboard with Bible Works?

thanks,
    Charles

Hello Charles,

Try this:

In BibleWorks 8

1. Select Options
    2. Click open Flags
    3. Under Flags Click Command Line Configuration Options
    4. Check off the use Israeli Keyboard on the command line.

Next, check your Windows Keyboard settings, it is possible that you may have more than one Hebrew Keyboard map installed.

Then note that:
    In Windows 7 there is a tool called the On-Screen keyboard under Accessories, and easy of access that may also be of help.This should be able to display the Israeli Keyboard you are using in BibleWorks.

Last edited by bkMitchell; 03-16-2011 at 12:38 AM.
    Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/

I checked and I do have "Israeli Keyboard" check in the "Command Line Configuration Options".

With regard to my keyboard setting, I do have more than one Hebrew keyboard map installed. I have the Israeli key board and Biblical Hebrew (SIL). I need both because there are some Masoretic symbols that I can't find on the Israeli keyboard marking.

I launched the On-Screen Keyboard so I can see which keyboard mapping I have active. In BibleWorks, I can tell that I am using the Israeli keyboard because most of the consonants are mapped to the key I would expect. The problem comes with the dots. In the normal Israeli keyboard, at least as implimented in Windows, the "a" key gives you the seen/sheen consonant WITHOUT a seen or sheen dot. If you want the dot you have to add it the way you add any of the other nikkud, namely by using the Shift-Lock key and then Shift-"some key on the top row" - Shift-Lock shift-0 for the sheen dot and Shift-Lock shift-9 for the sheen dot. In BibleWorks, however, when I type the "a" key I get the sheen letter WITH the sheen dot. This is not how the Israeli keyboard normally works. I don't know how to get the seen dot.

I know this is a lot of words. I hope this make some sense.

To type שֹ (seen), use Q

The four species: Lulav, hadas, aravot, and the etrog. Nice name arbaminim!