Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Errors in the bibleworks KJV bible - A comparison project of various sources.

Exclamation Errors in the bibleworks KJV bible - A comparison project of various sources.

What I am looking for is antichrist finds in the kjv sources.

Bibleworks, being perhaps regarded as one of the best bibletools that have been made on this planet. What i did now was to start a comparation of its and with others kjv bible sources, and i were amazed to see that it also had various errors, and was even worse than the norwegian computer software' version, but of course i haven't seen through all yet, I'm all the way to jug. considering it have been a used application by many "researchers" in the bible field, this should say something?.

I have made some reports about it on http://drupalbible.mikelee.idv.tw/?q=node/25822 , but not included the errors i found in the bible there, because it was much equal with some of the other repports there.

Here is a php converter used wich(isn't fully completed, only made quick for the kjv)
    This may be used to make the drupal exports equal to the files i have compared with(using winmerge look at the link above for more information.):
    PHP Code:
    <?php
      $s1 
    "Gen  Exo Lev Num Deu Jos Jdg Rut 1Sa 2Sa 1Ki 2Ki 1Ch 2Ch Ezr Neh Est Job Psa  Pro Ecc Sol Isa Jer Lam Eze Dan Hos Joe Amo Oba Jon Mic Nah Hab Zep Hag  Zec Mal Mat Mar Luk Joh Act Rom 1Co 2Co Gal Eph Phi Col 1Th 2Th 1Ti 2Ti  Tit Phm Heb Jam 1Pe 2Pe 1Jo 2Jo 3Jo Jud Rev 1Es Jdt Tob 1Ma 2Ma 3Ma 4Ma  Ode Wis Sip Sir Pss Bar Epj Sus Bel Pra Dng Prm Psx Lao 4Es Esg Jsa Jda  Tbs Sut Dat Bet WCF WLC WSC 1Cl 2Cl";  

$s2 "GEN  EXO LEV NUM DEU JOS JUG RUT 1SM 2SM 1KG 2KG 1CH 2CH EZR NEH EST JOB PS  PRO ECC SON ISA JER LAM EZE DAN HOS JOE AMO OBA JON MIC NAH HAB ZEP HAG  ZEC MAL MAT MAK LUK JHN ACT ROM 1CO 2CO GAL EPH PHL COL 1TS 2TS 1TM 2TM  TIT PHM HEB JAM 1PE 2PE 1JN 2JN 3JN JUD REV";

$a1 explode(' '$s1); 

$a2 explode(' '$s2);

$testfile $_GET["f"];

$f_arr file($testfile);
    $fh fopen($testfile,'r');
    $f_arr2 file("2".$testfile);
    $fh2 fopen("2".$testfile,'w');
    $count count($f_arr);
    for(
    $i=0$i<$count$i++)
    {

$s3 $f_arr[$i];
        if (!
    strpos($s3"||")) {

$testfile $_GET["f"];

$a3 explode(' '$s3);

$sum sizeof($a3);

$bw_namesearch $a3[0];

$token array_search($bw_namesearch$a1); 
           if (
    $token !== FALSE) { $bw_name $a2[$token]; }
           else { 
    $bw_name $bw_namesearch; }

$a3[1] = str_replace(":""|"$a3[1]); //$token + 1

$subset array_slice($a32$sum); //$token + 2

$s3 $bw_name."|".$a3[1]."||".implode(" ",$subset);

fwrite($fh2,$s3);
        }
    }
    echo 
    "done";
    ?>
    I would gladely like some help on this project.

May Gods peace be with you !
    Attached Files Attached Files

Make sure you are comparing apples to apples. I don't know what other KJV texts you are comparing, but this is the copyright information for the BW database:
    KJV

KJA, KJG Authorized Version (KJV) - 1769 Blayney Edition of the 1611 King James Version of the English Bible - with Larry Pierce's Englishman's-Strong's Numbering System, ASCII version.

Copyright 1988-1997 by the Online Bible Foundation and Woodside Fellowship of Ontario, Canada.

Licensed from the Institute for Creation Research. Used by permission.

Most KJV machine-readable texts (MRTs) are derived from the University of Pennsylvania CCAT (Center for Computer Analysis of Texts). CCAT obtained their KJV MRT from Brigham Young University Humanities Research Center.

This text has been collated in part with another KJV MRT provided by Zondervan Bible Publishers. Using a closely similar KJV MRT obtained from Public Brand Software, Larry Pierce and his volunteer associates at Woodside Fellowship and elsewhere corrected the available KJV MRT to match exactly the British 1769 Blayney Edition of the KJV Authorized Version as printed by Cambridge University Press, claimed to be the most accurate standard.

The KJV Apocrypha, which was part of the 1611 edition, is included as version KJA but is not tagged with Strong's numbers.
    If the errors you find are errors which show that the BibleWorks edition doesn't match the source from which it came, that's one thing, but it's completely different if you are comparing this version of the KJV to another.

If you find places where the BibleWorks text does not match this source text, you can let them know by sending an email to dberrors@bibleworks.com
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Hi Kriss,

Michael Hanel's comments are correct. There will be differences between KJV texts available on the Internet and in Bible software.

What you must do is begin with a printed text and use that as a standard. The text we have chosen is the Online Bible text that they claim to have done extensive work in proofing to conform to the 1769 Blayney edition printed by Cambridge. It is fine that you are comparing a number of electronic texts, but in the end you will need to compare those differences against a printed text that you use as a standard. It is a time-consuming project to do that, but in the end it is the only way to have accurate results.

I wish you well in your project. If you find places where the KJV text in BibleWorks does not conform to the 1769 Blayney edition printed by Cambridge, please let us know. Because this printed text is our standard, we would not want to make changes to our current KJV text on the basis of differences in other editions or printings of the KJV.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

For technical support, please contact Customer Support.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Weaver View Post
    If you find places where the KJV text in BibleWorks does not conform to the 1769 Blayney edition printed by Cambridge, please let us know. Because this printed text is our standard, we would not want to make changes to our current KJV text on the basis of differences in other editions or printings of the KJV.
    Just as a matter of reference, I have read the Bible through a number of times in my printed KJV since I've owned BibleWorks, and there have been numerous times while reading the printed text that I checked to see if BibleWorks had the same reading, and I have yet to find a single place where BibleWorks differs from my printed edition.

I'm not saying that I have thoroughly proofed the BibleWorks KJV, but I've come pretty close, and so far I have found it to be without error.

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your comment and evaluation. I thought about asking your input on this question, but you beat me to it!

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

Along similar lines, there appears to be an error in the BW ASV text at Galatians 2:20.

Print ASV "I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I that live, but Christ liveth in me..."

BW ASV "I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I that live, but Christ living in me..."

I would say it could be a matter of which edition of the ASV was used, but there only was ever one edition of the ASV.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

Hi Lee,

Thank you for the error reports. Occasionally this happens. I expect that the KJV was proofed to a higher degree than a lot of other versions.

For error reports like this, please send them to the dberrors address at bibleworks.com. Error reports posted on the forums are likely to be missed.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Weaver View Post
    Hi Lee,

Thank you for the error reports. Occasionally this happens. I expect that the KJV was proofed to a higher degree than a lot of other versions.

For error reports like this, please send them to the dberrors address at bibleworks.com. Error reports posted on the forums are likely to be missed.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Thanks, Glenn. Will do, and I will keep this in mind for the future.

- Lee
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

Default BW8 "New Updates" Dating back to Jan '09

Got a message yesterday after clicking 'updates' that showed I had close to at least 100+ updates ready to install dating back to 1/29/2009 'Misc Confessions.' I'm running BW8. I should not be lacking in any updates at all as I look for and install these weekly.

Emailed BW Support but wonder if anyone has any thoughts, ideas on this seeming error. jwb

Quote Originally Posted by bink View Post
    Got a message yesterday after clicking 'updates' that showed I had close to at least 100+ updates ready to install dating back to 1/29/2009 'Misc Confessions.' I'm running BW8. I should not be lacking in any updates at all as I look for and install these weekly.
    Yes, this appears to be a bug. I get the same thing. To fix this for now, after you open the updater, go to Options in the menu and UNcheck "Show downloaded/hidden patches."

EDIT: This has now been fixed in the latest update.