Thread: search for phrase bug?

Default search for phrase bug?

Greetings,

Ive got a question. I want to find all verses, with the phrase הַר בֵּית־יְהוָ֤ה. When I click on "search for phrase" for example in Mi 4:1 I get 2 hits (Isa 2:2 and Mi 4,1). But the phrase also occurs in 2 Chr 33,15 with the preposition בְּ. What do I wrong? Or is that a bug?

Thanks!

Stephanus

Greetings Stephanus,

(1) Select the WTM(Westminster Hebrew OT Morphology) as your search version.

(2) Go to Mic 4:1(WTM) and highlight the phrase/string:

הַר@ncmsc+SxxxExHxNxRx
    בַּיִת@ncmsc+SxxxExHaNxRx
    יהוה@np--n+SxxxExHxNxRx

(3)הַר בַּיִת יהוה should appear on the command line after your click and select 'search for Phrase'

(4) Your Search results should now yield:

2 Chr. 33:15
    Isa. 2:2
    Mic. 4:1

POST SCRIPT:
    In BibleWorks original language texts come in pairs. One text will be a normal printed version the other a morphologically tagged edition. When you search on the WTT(non-coded normal text) you will find exactly the same 'sting of characters' you selected to search on. This answers why you only found הַר בֵּית־יְהוָ֤ה in Isaiah and Micah, but not the 2 Chronicles where the phrase in discussion appears with a בְּ . On the other hand In a morphological version your options and search result possibilities are limited only by the various tagging and not by the actually texts. So, in general use WTT as your display/reading text and use WTM for searching.
    Last edited by bkMitchell; 03-15-2011 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Added Post Script
    Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/

Thank you Brian!

It works fine! Ive expected that also in the WTT the "search for phrase" option would yield all three hits though 2 Chr 33,15 begins with a preposition. It would be nice to see it in coming Bibleworks versions.

in Christ,
    Stephanus

Default WTT vs WTM

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanus View Post
    Thank you Brian!

It works fine! Ive expected that also in the WTT the "search for phrase" option would yield all three hits though 2 Chr 33,15 begins with a preposition. It would be nice to see it in coming Bibleworks versions.

in Christ,
    Stephanus
    Remember that BW seraches for words, not characters. You can do the search in the WTT version but you would need to add a wildcard character at the beginning of the first word to match the preposition. But in general it is usually better as someone already said to do string searches using the morph version because it breaks words apart into co,posite lemmas.

Mike

Default Let's try that search

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    You can do the search in the WTT version but you would need to add a wildcard character at the beginning of the first word to match the preposition...

Okay, let's try that search
    I picked the WTT as my search version this time and then used the * wild-card so on the BW command line I typed in something like this:

בהר בית־יהוה*

And, it worked! I got all three of the verses mentioned early in this thread.
    Thanks Mr. Mr.Bushell for the suggestion and correction.
    And
    Stephanus sorry if I mislead you about the WTT, anyway try the above search out.

Grace and Peace,
    Brian
    Last edited by bkMitchell; 03-16-2011 at 07:17 PM.
    Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/