Thread: Multi version search and display

Default Multi version search and display

Can anyone help my friend with this problem, please? He is using the new BW7.

One frustration I have so far is that when a search for certain english words was made in version 6, the results window (when set correctly) showed all the results for all the display versions. Now I just get the search version results only and a separate window telling me there are also results in the other display versions (but not showing what they are), and I then have to select them separately to see the results for them. Do you know any way around this?

David McKay
    www.davidmckay.info

I'm using BW since version 5.0, but I have the same issue, with searching window in BW 7.0
    The actual BW 7.0 searching mode is nice.
    But BW 6.0 with all verses in the same window is so useful

Anyone have idea about this?

Default Cross version search

Go to the menu Search/Cross Version Search Mode and select the option you want.

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

Quote Originally Posted by Dale A. Brueggemann View Post
    Go to the menu Search/Cross Version Search Mode and select the option you want.
    This problem persists in BW9; it's a bit less buggy: the first search after calling up the program, nothing happens, but the popup version box which is useless, shows. So if you select one of those versions, then something finally displays in the search results. Then after that, you get some search results, but you cannot stop that version box from displaying.

Any chance the old and useful BW5-type results of displaying all the cross-search verses WITHOUT that annoying and useless popup, will be restored in BW10? Thank you, to anyone who answers!
    'brainouty' on Youtube and , http://www.vimeo.com/brainout

Quote Originally Posted by brainout View Post
    This problem persists in BW9; it's a bit less buggy: the first search after calling up the program, nothing happens,.
    Actually something always does happen. BW searches all same language versions and displays the list of hits in your current search version in the verse list under the command line. If your search version does not contain the word for which you searched, no list of verses will display. But once you click on one of the lines in the "Cross Version Search Results" window, that will make that version active in your browse window and display the results. Sometimes it looks as if the hits in the "Cross Version Search Results" window did not get transferred into the list under the command line. But it actually did. This may be a small bug, but if you had a long list of verses under the command line, and the number of verses in the cross version search was small, the list appears empty, but when you scroll up to the top of the window, you will see the correct verses listed. I do not know why the list does not go to the top automatically.
    but the popup version box which is useless, shows. So if you select one of those versions, then something finally displays in the search results. Then after that, you get some search results,
    If by "popup version box" you mean the "Cross Version Search Results" window, it is not useless. It shows at a glance every version which contains the word for which you searched, plus how many times the word occurs in each version. Then you can choose which version to display in the browse window.
    but you cannot stop that version box from displaying.
    You can minimize the Cross Version Search Results window any time you want. Of course, you would have to unminimize it before you could choose to display any of the other versions. You can also move this window after doing the search, so that it is still visible but does not cover much of your desk top. I usually drag it down to the lower right hand corner of the display.
    Any chance the old and useful BW5-type results of displaying all the cross-search verses WITHOUT that annoying and useless popup, will be restored in BW10? Thank you, to anyone who answers!
    When BW changed the way the cross version searches displayed, I was at first also a bit confused. But originally the cross version searches worked only in Bible versions, so they could all display in the same browse window, without the added step of adding the cross version search results window. But once BW added non-biblical texts, cross version searching also searches the Apostolic Fathers, Josephus, Philo, the Pseudepigraph, and any user versions you may have. These non-biblical texts cannot all display in the same browse window. Only versions with identical book names can display in the browse window together. So you have to view the non-biblical texts one at a time. I decided long ago to use different tabs for the non-biblical versions, so I can load the cross version searches quickly into the different tabs, then move from tab to tab to compare. But, all the biblical versions do still display in the same browse window together, just as they did in BW5.
    Mark Eddy
    Last edited by Mark Eddy; 02-25-2014 at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    Actually something always does happen. BW searches all same language versions and displays the list of hits in your current search version in the verse list under the command line. If your search version does not contain the word for which you searched, no list of verses will display. But once you click on one of the lines in the "Cross Version Search Results" window, that will make that version active in your browse window and display the results. Sometimes it looks as if the hits in the "Cross Version Search Results" window did not get transferred into the list under the command line. But it actually did. This may be a small bug, but if you had a long list of verses under the command line, and the number of verses in the cross version search was small, the list appears empty, but when you scroll up to the top of the window, you will see the correct verses listed. I do not know why the list does not go to the top automatically.

If by "popup version box" you mean the "Cross Version Search Results" window, it is not useless. It shows at a glance every version which contains the word for which you searched, plus how many times the word occurs in each version. Then you can choose which version to display in the browse window.

You can minimize the Cross Version Search Results window any time you want. Of course, you would have to unminimize it before you could choose to display any of the other versions. You can also move this window after doing the search, so that it is still visible but does not cover much of your desk top. I usually drag it down to the lower right hand corner of the display.

When BW changed the way the cross version searches displayed, I was at first also a bit confused. But originally the cross version searches worked only in Bible versions, so they could all display in the same browse window, without the added step of adding the cross version search results window. But once BW added non-biblical texts, cross version searching also searches the Apostolic Fathers, Josephus, Philo, the Pseudepigraph, and any user versions you may have. These non-biblical texts cannot all display in the same browse window. Only versions with identical book names can display in the browse window together. So you have to view the non-biblical texts one at a time. I decided long ago to use different tabs for the non-biblical versions, so I can load the cross version searches quickly into the different tabs, then move from tab to tab to compare. But, all the biblical versions do still display in the same browse window together, just as they did in BW5.
    Mark Eddy
    Thank you. Will try your hint about the tabs. Thank you again!
    'brainouty' on Youtube and , http://www.vimeo.com/brainout