Thread: The Liddell-Scott Jones (LSJ) Greek-English Lexicon available for free through TLG!

Hybrid View

Default The Liddell-Scott Jones (LSJ) Greek-English Lexicon available for free through TLG!

I just posted about this to the BibleWorks Blog.

Here's the official announcement from TLG (sans linkage).
    The Thesaurus Linguae Graecae (TLG) is proud to announce the release of a new online version of Liddell-Scott-Jones (LSJ), the premier lexicon for classical Greek. The TLG version represents five years of intensive work to produce a fully edited and searchable version of LSJ with links to the TLG corpus.

History of the printed volume:
    Liddell-Scott-Jones (known as LSJ or Liddell-Scott) is the standard lexicographical resource for Classical Greek. LSJ was first published in 1843 by Oxford Clarendon Press edited by Henry George Liddell and Robert Scott and based on earlier lexicographical work by Schneider and Passow. It was subsequently revised 8 times. The 8th edition (1897) was the last edition published during Liddell's lifetime. Two abridged editions (the "little Liddell" and intermediate LSJ (or "middle Liddell") were also published by Oxford in 1843 and 1889 respectively). The modern reader can greatly benefit from reading the fascinating story of the creation of LSJ in the Preface of the volume.

The last edition of LSJ was published in ten parts between 1925 and 1940. A list of Addenda and Corrigenda to the 1940 edition was published in 1968 and bound with subsequent printings but the revisions were not merged into the main lexicon composed by Liddell and Scott. In 1996, Oxford University Press published the LSJ Supplement with 320 pages of corrections and additions but the main text of the lexicon was not revised. More recent bibliographical efforts, most notably the Diccionario Griego-Español (DGE), carried out in Madrid, Spain under the direction of Francisco R. Adrados and Juan Rodríguez Somolinos, have resumed the task of a new lexicon for ancient Greek based on modern lexicographical methods and updated data.

Digital versions:
    LSJ was first made available in digital form in the mid-90s thanks to the Perseus Project with funding by the National Science Foundation. The Perseus digital version was subsequently licensed to a number of projects (Chicago Perseus, Pollux:Archimedes Project, etc.) and was ported to phone apps. All these sites provide some searching capabilities and links but not links to the TLG data. They are also based on the Perseus digital file which has not been extensively corrected. Digital scans of the lexicon can be downloaded from a variety of sources, including but not limited to the Internet Archive, Google Books, and Scribd. However, without markup and searching capabilities, the value of the scans is rather limited.

A CD ROM version published by Logos Software incorporated the 1996 Supplement and many improvements and corrections to the printed version.

The TLG version:
    The TLG embarked into this project in 2006. Recognizing the fact that LSJ is the most central reference work for all scholars and students of ancient Greek, we decided that producing a fully corrected and reliably accessible online version with links to TLG texts was a worthwhile undertaking. The digital LSJ was a natural extension of our larger and ongoing lemmatization project. In the process of improving automatic recognition of all word forms in our texts, we have digitized and extracted information such as headwords, meanings, and grammatical use from a large number of dictionaries. Making LSJ available to the public was another step in this direction.

Digitization, markup and correction of LSJ proved to be far more time consuming and demanding from a scholarly point of view than we anticipated, hence the entire project took five years to complete. The effort began by extracting identifiable sections of the text, such as headwords and meanings, that we could proofread using TLG correction software or by collating multiple digital versions. This approach was helpful but not entirely effective. Ultimately, the bulk of editing required a human eye. The final project contains a number of enhancements compared to the printed version. A number of lower case or ambigious entries have been converted to upper case and a large number of typographical errors have ben corrected. A list of Corrigenda will be posted soon. Sub-entries in the printed edition marked with hyphens, have been expanded and treated as headwords. Greek words (both headwords and Greek inside entries), and English definitions can be searched and LSJ citations are linked to the TLG updated editions (when possible). Nishad Prakash worked tirelessly to create an attractive as well as user friendly interface.

We are very pleased to make this invaluable resource available free and open to the scholarly community.

Maria Pantelia
    TLG Director
    Check it out here: http://stephanus.tlg.uci.edu/lsj/
    Jim Darlack - Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

Wow, that is incredible! Thx for the link...

Greetings,
    Steffen

Default Linking from BW

Hi Jim. Thanks for the info. That's great. You noted that you were trying to figure out linking to LSJ from BW. If you get that figured out, will you let us know?

I tried a guess, but it didn't work.

That would be great if we could get it to look up a lemma correctly.

Thanks again!

You can follow along with some more specific discussion (non-BibleWorks related) on the new TLG version of the LSJ on the CLASSICS-L.

Unless there are more changes to be made to their implementation of it (and surely there are), I don't have high hopes for the ability to use this in BibleWorks the way the Perseus site could be used. It's main advantage is that it has the full-text of the LSJ and you can click on links to go directly to the text cited. That's the kind of thing we can do in BibleWorks w BDAG or the other lexica (the only caveat is that BibleWorks only links to *biblical* texts, not to Josephus or Apostolic Fathers, e.g.).

Here are the two observations I had. Correct me if I'm wrong.

1. What I see of the TLG LSJ is that the URLs end in something like the following:

/lsj/#eid=20&context=lsj&action=hw-list-click

That # in red is what headword # you are looking at. In order for BibleWorks to be able to use this, it would send WORDS, not numbers to TLG's LSJ. So first there'd have to be a way around that.

2. As was pointed out, BibleWorks wouldn't send lemmas (unless you were working with a parsed text like the BNT), it would send the whole form, but TLG LSJ would only want the lemma, the dictionary form, in order to look it up.

Unless both of those were somehow solved (or my observations are wrong), I don't see how it would be possible to link things up.
    Last edited by Michael Hanel; 02-25-2011 at 12:18 PM.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Here is a roundabout way of doing things:

Change the URL listed in the "Look up text in TLG demo site" in your External Links Manager to the following:

Code:
    http://www.tlg.uci.edu/demo/textsearch?s=<dummy>&GreekFont=Unicode&perseus_mirror=TLG links
    (Basically add &perseus_mirror=TLG links to the end of the URL that's already in there.)

Make sure you enable the link in the ELM.

Then you can right click a word and look it up in the TLG demo site. The site will bring up a list of words that are hyperlinked to TLG's Lexicographical Resource Tool, which is linked to TLG's LSJ. Like I said, it's 'roundabout'.

NOTE: This is BUGGY (as was the original ELM link). It does not work with words that have circumflexes in the lemma (like πνεῦμα, which renders as pneu^ma in the link that is sent to TLG).

What would be nice is if BW could change the way the ELM works so that it would send Unicode directly in the link, then perhaps it would work. Sounds like a feature request...
    Jim Darlack - Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

Did you all forget that BibleWorks has LSJ available for use within BibleWorks? The advertizer for the online version obviously did. He mentioned only that LSJ is available in Logos. But BibleWorks has had it for years. And almost all the biblical references are tagged for immediate use in BibleWorks. As I use it, I have been sending corrections to BW for links which are misdirected or missing, and for LSJ entries which currently do not display when they should (which involves additions to the Greek alias file as well as corrections to typos). So I understand why it took years to come up with the online version.
    Concerning the use of LSJ with non-biblical texts in BW. Any version which has a morphology version counterpart can look up lemmas in LSJ right now. Currently there are no hyperlinks in LSJ (or any lexicons in BibleWorks) to non-biblical works. But almost all the words in the Apostolic Fathers, Josephus, and Philo in BW can be looked up in LSJ. The next step might be to make morphology versions of the classical Greek user databases which Michael H. has provided for BibleWorks. (I have started to do that, but it will take me forever the way I dabble in non-biblical Greek.) If morphological databases were to be completed for the classical texts in BW, then it seems the online version of LSJ could be used with them also. But then, so could the BW-native version of LSJ. Maybe we need to promote the latter better.
    Mark Eddy
    Last edited by Mark Eddy; 02-26-2011 at 12:46 PM.