Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: List of Every Word Alphabetical Order?

Default List of Every Word Alphabetical Order?

I am trying to compile a list of every Hebrew word (with vowels) in the
    Bible. The list must also be in alphabetical order. However, whether a word occurs twice
    or hundreds of times, that word should only occur once on the list. Can BibleWorks program do this? Can you offer some evidence of this?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by fremes View Post
    I am trying to compile a list of every Hebrew word (with vowels) in the
    Bible. The list must also be in alphabetical order. However, whether a word occurs twice
    or hundreds of times, that word should only occur once on the list. Can BibleWorks program do this? Can you offer some evidence of this?

Thank you.
    In the command line, set your version to WTT
    Open up the Word List Manager (Tools: Analyzing the text: Word List Manager).
    In the Word List Manager select File and Load List. I believe all the settings should be selected by default to do what you want.
    Click Create list.

To sort the list, use the option under the sort menu.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Cool

Michael,

Thank you for replying.

Since I do not have the BibleWorks program. Is it possible you could test whether your instructions do indeed result in with the list which I am seeking. Or how difficult would it be just to populate the entire list which I am looking for and email it to me?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    In the command line, set your version to WTT
    Open up the Word List Manager (Tools: Analyzing the text: Word List Manager).
    In the Word List Manager select File and Load List. I believe all the settings should be selected by default to do what you want.
    Click Create list.

To sort the list, use the option under the sort menu.
    But wouldn't you have to insert a code of somekind to eliminate the Aramaic words to leave only the Hebrew?

Hi Jim,

You are correct. Good catch!
    Here are the steps for two different types of lists.

TO GET LEMMAS (WTM)
    --In the Word List Manager you would need to add a filter *@*. The @ restricts the list to Hebrew. To get all the Aramaic lemmas, add the filter *%* instead.

TO GET INFLECTED FORMS (WTT)
    --First run a search on the Command Line for all words using WTM. Use the search .*@*, since this will search for all Hebrew lemmas. If you wanted to search for Aramaic lemmas, use .*%* instead. Open the Word List Manager, and create a word list from the highlighted search results. Be sure to use WTT as the version. (BibleWorks converts the lemma search from WTM to the text results from WTT.) Check the boxes for Hebrew vowel points and accents as needed. Create the list, and you have all of the inflected forms of all the Hebrew words in the Hebrew Bible. By default they are sorted by frequency. Select Sort to sort them alphabetically.

Blessings,
    Last edited by Glenn Weaver; 02-17-2011 at 10:13 AM.
    Glenn Weaver

For technical support, please contact Customer Support.

Re. BibleWorks
    Regarding the list I am tying to compile. (a list of every Hebrew word with vowels in the
    Bible. The list must also be in alphabetical order. However, whether a word occurs twice or hundreds of times, that word should only occur once on the list.)
    Can the BibleWorks program detect and list homographs of different roots and different Binyanim etc. yet not duplicate not non-homographs? In other words, in the list of every Hebrew word will there appear the following: two words which are identical in everyway except one word is from one root type and the another word is from another root type. E.g. the preterite homographs "he sat" (Gen. 4:15) or "he returned" (Gen. 22:19) etc.. Or similarly, homographs of the kind that one is a generic word and the other a proper name.

Thank you very much for your continued interest.

Default Hebrew homographs and the Word List Manager

Greetings!

I am not all-together clear what it is that you are asking, but BibleWorks does distinguish between Hebrew homographs.

It is a bit difficult to describe what type of list BibleWorks 8 can deliver since you are not familiar with the program. Each Hebrew word is tagged with its unique lemma and with the parsing information. It is possible to create lists according to both lemma and form, and sort them according to frequency of occurrence or alphabetically. There are some other functions of the Word List Manager that may be useful to you, but you should first need to become familiar with the program and how BibleWorks handles Hebrew texts.

If you should decide to purchase BibleWorks, our Customer Service department offers free technical support for registered users.

I hope this helps.

Blessings,
    Glenn Weaver

Let me re-phrase my request slightly.

I am trying to complile a list of every Hebrew word with vowels in the Bible. The list must also be in alphabetical order. However, whether a word occurs twice or hundreds of times, that word should only occur once on the list. But detect and list homographs of different roots (e.g. regarding the word "sheves" sometimes the infinitive of the verb 'to sit' or the verb 'to cease') and different Binyanim etc. yet not duplicate not non-homographs?

I just want to know if BibleWorks 8 can assemble such a list. I will figue it out once I get the program.

Thanks Again

I'm sorry, perhaps if you told us what is the final product that you want to produce, that might help us to understand better.

Blessings,
    Glenn Weaver

Default Rules Governing My List of Biblical Hebrew Words

Please see the PDF attachment. For the rules governing what is to be included in my list of words from the Bible.
    Attached Images Attached Images