Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Female proper names

Default Female proper names

Dear Friends,
    I want to search for all female proper names in BNM. I used the Louw-Nida-Domain to exclude female names of places in the right box.
    Unfortunately the search doesn't work - where is my failure ? Please see my Query-File.
    Thank you a lot !
    Yours
    Peter, Germany
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Peter; 02-02-2011 at 03:25 AM.

For a learning experience, try running a search with each of your search boxes separably, delete one, than the other.

I am not a expert on this, but your second box is finding all the words in the text except for the excluded words.

Try deleting your first box, than adding *@n?f?p to your list, but do not check the exclude box.

That is my suggestions, perhaps others will offer different approaches.

Al

Dear Al,
    thank you a lot ! The Query-File works fine now !
    Do you have further suggestions for improvements ?
    Yours
    Peter, Germany
    Attached Files Attached Files

How come Mat 1:3 is not showing up on your list? And perhaps others verses similar?

In the second box, uncheck, "Exclusion words eliminate entire verse".

I think this will help.

Al

Thank you again, Al !

You wrote:
    "How come Mat 1:3 is not showing up on your list? And perhaps others verses similar?"

I really don't have any clue !

Any further help is appreciated to solve the problem !
    Yours
    Peter, Germany

Hi, again.

Just in case you missed it. I answered my own question.

"In the second box, uncheck, "Exclusion words eliminate entire verse"."

We are having a big snow storm, and I keep looking out the window to watch the snow. But I need to get back to my own work. And I probably won't spend any more time on your search. I just hope this has helped.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Thank you again, Al !

You wrote:
    "How come Mat 1:3 is not showing up on your list? And perhaps others verses similar?"

I really don't have any clue !

Any further help is appreciated to solve the problem !
    Yours
    Peter, Germany
    Mat 1:3 will not show up because it is excluded based on your inclusion/exclusion list. You have Ioudas@* as one of the words to be excluded. Because that word occurs in Mat 1:3, even though there is a feminine proper noun, the whole verse will be excluded.

I believe Al's suggestion would fix it. Uncheck "Exclusion words eliminate entire verse"

(posted twice for emphasis? Al was faster...)
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Dear Michael,
    you wrote:

"Mat 1:3 will not show up because it is excluded based on your inclusion/exclusion list. You have Ioudas@* as one of the words to be excluded. Because that word occurs in Mat 1:3, even though there is a feminine proper noun, the whole verse will be excluded."

Exactly, that's the point !

But if I don't check "Exclusion words eliminate entire verse" in the right box, I get the whole bunch of the geographical proper names, I want to exclude. I just wanted to search for names of women in the NT.

Thanks !
    Peter, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Dear Michael,
    you wrote:

"Mat 1:3 will not show up because it is excluded based on your inclusion/exclusion list. You have Ioudas@* as one of the words to be excluded. Because that word occurs in Mat 1:3, even though there is a feminine proper noun, the whole verse will be excluded."

Exactly, that's the point !

But if I don't check "Exclusion words eliminate entire verse" in the right box, I get the whole bunch of the geographical proper names, I want to exclude. I just wanted to search for names of women in the NT.

Thanks !
    Peter, Germany
    I don't have an immediate answer to fix the search query. There may be a solution, but it's not immediately coming to my mind. So it would take me longer to come up with the search than it would to do the longer search, compare verse results with your first search and get my answer there. Perhaps someone will have a more efficient answer.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default LN search on Command Line

Probably the easiest way to search for all the feminine proper names is to conduct the search on the Command Line using a Louw-Nida search.
    - Right click on the Command Line to open the context menu, then select "Insert Louw-Nida Domain Code".
    - Select subdomain 93.1-93.388, then click "Insert" to insert the search on the Command Line. The line should look like .<93.1-388>
    - Add the @ sign to include morphology to the domain tag. The domain tag is treated like a word list, so you can add morphology to the search.
    - add the correct morph codes to the tag. In this case, you will add n?f*

The final search is .<93.1-388>@n?f*

Classroom Tips 3.3 and 3.4 discusses searching on the Command Line using word lists and semantic domains. Here is the link to tip 3.4, which directly addresses your search. http://www.bibleworks.com/classroom/3_04/index.html

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

For technical support, please contact Customer Support.