Thread: External Link for Whitaker Words.exe Program

Default External Link for Whitaker Words.exe Program

I have been unable to figure out how to create an external link to Whitaker's Words.exe program for Latin on my local hard drive. Would someone be able to give me the syntax or the settings to type into the External Link Manager to create such an entry? I would like to be able to right-click on a word in the Vulgate and have Words.exe open to that word.

Thanks so much.

Tim

Default Vulgate not morphed

Quote Originally Posted by TimM View Post
    I would like to be able to right-click on a word in the Vulgate and have Words.exe open to that word.
    Don't think it's possible, because the Vulgate doesn't have a morphed version to give you the dictionary form of each word.

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

Quote Originally Posted by Dale A. Brueggemann View Post
    Don't think it's possible, because the Vulgate doesn't have a morphed version to give you the dictionary form of each word.
    WORDS parses the words for you, so you don't need lemmatized versions.

I know it should be possible, but I don't immediately know what options you would need to trigger. It seems like it would be much easier just to use the Internet version of WORDS.

For that you want to have something like the following http://www.archives.nd.edu/cgi-bin/words.exe?<dummy>
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Thank you, Michael. I am now able to use the Internet version of WORDS.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    WORDS parses the words for you, so you don't need lemmatized versions.

I know it should be possible, but I don't immediately know what options you would need to trigger. It seems like it would be much easier just to use the Internet version of WORDS.

For that you want to have something like the following http://www.archives.nd.edu/cgi-bin/words.exe?<dummy>

Quote Originally Posted by TimM View Post
    Thank you, Michael. I am now able to use the Internet version of WORDS.

Tim
    Theoretically it's still possible to do it with the offline version, I'm just not quite sure how. I've experimented and haven't ever been successful.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    Theoretically it's still possible to do it with the offline version, I'm just not quite sure how. I've experimented and haven't ever been successful.
    Yes, I think it has something to do with how WORDS.EXE is acting as a DOS program. I can get WORDS.EXE to open using a batch file as the executable in the External Link Manager:

cd "c:\Users\Worker\Documents\Latin Words"
    words.exe

But then trying to pass <dummy> through the batch file to WORDS.EXE as %1 does not work at all, although it should.

Tim

Default Vulsearch and Words.exe

May be the most of you do know Vulsearch at http://vulsearch.sourceforge.net/

For those of you who do not know it: It is a very nice, handy freeware program.

On the website of Vulsearch they say:

VulSearch is a program for Windows 98 and later.

• View the Clementine Vulgate Bible with the Douay–Rheims translation side-by-side
    • Fast full-text searching of both bibles
    • Create bookmarks, cross-references and annotations
    • Integrated with the Latin dictionary program Words

VulSearch is free software.

Words is used by kind permission of William Whitaker.

Regards,
    Attie Bogaards

Default Vulsearch... with reservations...

I had reviewed Vulsearch (link below) and concluded that it was an outstanding resource, but...
    be sure to read the comments and note the anti-Semitic (and anti-Protestant and anti-Vatican 2 RC) background of its author...
    Vulsearch4
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools