Thread: BibleWorks App?

Default BibleWorks App?

Hi, all.

I'm new to the forum, so I apologize if this has been addressed. I've been using BW daily for the last three years and absolutely love it. But due to travel and portability issues I've been doing more with my ipad lately. I notice that Logos already has an ipad app and Accordance is developing one. Anything on the horizon for BW so I can access it on the go with my tablet?

Cheers

My guess would be that you shouldn't look for it in the near future. Both Logos and Accordance are venturing into the Apple App world primarily to advance and protect their market. Both do have apps currently but neither of them have full-functioning apps and this is after a great deal of work done by both companies. In other words, it's a lot of work to convert the program into an app. And yet I imagine it's easier for both companies to do this consider that they already have Mac native programs (I suppose one could debate the Logos claim here). One could only imagine how much more difficult it would be for BibleWorks, which is not a Mac native program, to be ported not merely to Mac format but to app format. They would have to hire new programmers just to do this.

Bottom line for me is not that I don't think it would be a wise investment for the company. They have tended not to break into new markets just because they're there. They already have a market they're in and they work hard to serve that market. I would rather they continue to build their own program rather than divert their energy to these other fields which are so new that one still doesn't have a good idea what they'll end up becoming.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Michael,

I appreciate your insight. I can find work-arounds for now by using a citrix-type app on the ipad that allows me to access programs from my desktop. But there is always an additional latency involved in this, so a native app is preferable.

I'm only a three-year customer (BW 7 and 8), but I suppose my feedback would be for BW not to allow their reticence to explore everything on the content side (which I support) to create a reticence to explore platform delivery (which I don't). While it's true that we don't know exactly where things are headed, most tech experts are convinced that it is away from the current systems. I want the traditional BW experience of focusing on the text without much of the commentary, but I think that delivery of that experience will have to keep pace with the times.

What's more, I'm willing to match my pocket book to my passion. I'll pay a high fee for the app, I'd even be willing to simply donate to the cause if it's needed. BW is the best program out there, but I want it to stay relevant.

Cheers

Default Thumbs Up

Thumbs up to Mr. Green! I couldn't have said it better myself. Wise words, my friend. Irrelevancy is not far around the corner if the the times are not kept up with, and the "times" are clearly in the app market. It doesn't have to be some elaborate and "one-stop shop" app, but at least a bare essentials Bibleworks (a few english Bibles, NA27, BHS, search features, morph-tagged texts, parsing, & notes...that's it).

Try either Mantis or Crosswire. I use Mantis all the time on an iTouch (there is an iPad app now), and Crosswire seems to have the same functionality (plus it's free; Mantis charges for modules).

Quote Originally Posted by bobvenem View Post
    Try either Mantis or Crosswire. I use Mantis all the time on an iTouch (there is an iPad app now), and Crosswire seems to have the same functionality (plus it's free; Mantis charges for modules).
    I've used Crosswire, and it's not a bad tool. I also like Olive Tree reader. They also have a lot of paid modules, but I like the functionality of the free ones they have.

What I'm trying to say in post #3 is that the core BW philosophy should center on content and not platform. Tethering a mission statement to a particular platform (Windows, MAC OS, etc.) in this environment is not always the best strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Green View Post
    I've used Crosswire, and it's not a bad tool. I also like Olive Tree reader. They also have a lot of paid modules, but I like the functionality of the free ones they have.
    I love my Olive tree app ! I love BW8 as well - both have their place.....
    If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things ? John 3:12 KJV
    εκεινον δει αυξανειν εμε δε ελαττουσθαι John 3:30