Thread: Early English Bibles

someone else Guest

Default Early English Bibles

I'm doing some comparisons of early English Bibles. Currently in BW, I have:
    KJV (1769)
    KJ6 (1611)
    DRA (Douai-Rheims 1899)
    BSP (Bishop's Bible 1568)
    GNV (Geneva Bible 1599)
    COV (1838 reprint of the 1535 original)
    TNT (Tyndale's 1534 NT)
    WYC (Wycliffe's 1388)

By googling, I came across an old BW forum thread that mentioned the following early English Bibles:
    - TRC (Tyndale-Rogers-Coverdale-Cranmer Bible (1537))
    - TYN (Tyndale Bible (1534))
    - TYO (Tyndale Original NT (1526))

http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-1732.html

But I can't find these BW files posted anywhere any more. Were they taken away due to copyright issues? Or for some other reason?

Also, on that same old forum thread, there's mention of some other English Bibles that are nearly a century old (Goodspeed, Moffatt)... are those under copyright restriction and thus no longer available? And if so, how do you go about contacting the copyright holder to inquire about making a digital copy of that version?

Thanks in advance.

I think the TNT (First List) is the same as the TYN (Second List)
    Also compare the TNT with the KJV and you will see that they are virtually the same. In other words the translators just cleaned up the spelling of the TNT and put it into the KJV.

BTW what BW version do you have?

I am using v. 8.0 and KJV is the 1611 edition.

someone else Guest

I'm using BW 7.0 (I know, I know, I need to upgrade soon). KJV is 1769 in it. I had to get the KJ6 (1611 separate). The spelling is noticeably diff between 1769 and 1611.

Yes, TNT (NT 1534) is probably the same as TYN (1534)... unless TYN was more than just the NT and included Tyndale's Pentateuch (1530), Jonah (1531) or his translations of Joshua-2 Chron that were published posthumously in Matthew's Bible.

Yeah, ~80% of KJV is Tyndale's wording (Westcott, I think, even estimated 90%). There are a few noteworthy diffs between Tyndale and KJV (congregation vs church ~120x in NT; "love" vs. "charity"; also John 1:1).

Other diffs between early English Bibles are also interesting...
    "penance" (Wycliffe) vs. "repent/repentance" (Tyn)
    "priest" (Wycliffe) vs. "elder" (Tyn) in 1 Tim 4:14; 5:19; Titus 1:5; James 5:14
    "adonai" (Wycliffe) vs. "Jehovah" (Tyn) in Exod 6:3
    Tyn (cf. to Wyc) = "Passover," "atonement," "scapegoat," "mercy seat," "shewbread," "longsuffering" (Gal 5:22), "infidel," "peacemakers," etc.

I'd love to have a copy of Wycliffe's first edition (which supposedly is more Latinish) and Tyndales 1526 NT... and Tyndale's Pentateuch (1530), which was included in Matthew's Bible of 1537... which I think is what was the old TRC file on BW.

For example, I have a digital image of Tyndale's 1526 page of Jn 1:1-14. In 1526, Tyndale had "...and God was that worde." But in 1534 (acc. to BW), Tyndale had "...and the worde was God." (Fwiw, Wycliffe 2nd ed had "...and God was the word.")
    Last edited by someone else; 01-21-2011 at 05:44 PM.