Thread: Search for two words in one chapter

Default Search for two words in one chapter

I want to search for the use of both power and mercy in one chapter (Psalm), not only one of them.

For example:

Psa. 62:11 God hath spoken once; twice have I heard this; that power belongeth unto God.
    Psa. 62:12 Also unto thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy: for thou renderest to every man according to his work.

How can I do it in BibleWorks 9?

Quote Originally Posted by AH Bogaards View Post
    I want to search for the use of both power and mercy in one chapter (Psalm), not only one of them.

For example:

Psa. 62:11 God hath spoken once; twice have I heard this; that power belongeth unto God.
    Psa. 62:12 Also unto thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy: for thou renderest to every man according to his work.

How can I do it in BibleWorks 9?
    If your question is "How do I find which Psalms contain both 'power' and 'mercy' in the KJV?" I am not aware of a simple way to answer that question. The basic units of analysis in BW for English versions are the word and the verse, not chapter.

One way to answer this question is:
    Set search limits to Psalms.
    Search for .power
    Open Verse List Manager (VLM) [button on bar, or via Tools menu).
    Import Entire Search Window Verse List to VLM.
    Search for .mercy
    In VLM, select Secondary list
    Import Entire Search Window Verse List to VLM Secondary list.

This is not as complicated a process as it looks, and VLM is often a useful and powerful tool.
    Unfortunately, VLM does not have an option to ignore verses, use only chapter, so you have to use the classic eyeball compare technique to identify the chapters common to both lists.

Or if you want to invest more time and energy to get the computer to do the comparison, save the lists to disk, edit them so that all verse numbers are the same using the text editor of your choice (VLM files are .txt files with a different name, so almost any editor can be used). After editing them, import these new files into VLM, use the Selection menu to "select verses not common to both lists", use the Edit menu to "delete selected verses", and you are left with a list of chapters that contain both words.

--Jim

I completely misconstrued your question, thus I deleted my original answer. I noticed you pasted your example from Accordance - BW9 (nor BW10) does not have an option to set scope to chapter.

Jim suggested one possible way. Here is another way (depending on number of search results one or other might be more preferable):

Set limits to Psalms (type "l psa", without quotes), then run search on either mercy or power (type "/power mercy", without quotes).
    Open "Stats" tab, set tab settings as in pic below.
    Discard all chapters (green lines) with less than two hits (since they contain only mercy or power). Eyeball the rest with search results on the left. For example, even though stats tab indicates 26 hits in Psalm 136, a quick look through search results lets you know that they are all "mercy", no "power". The next one, Psa 59, is positive, so you might deselect those verses in search results. Do so with the rest. Delete the selected, and you have only the desired verses left over.
    (you might want to set ordering in "Stats" tab as "normal" though, so you don't have to scroll back and forth between search results)

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 91
Size:  119.4 KB
    Last edited by Rokas; 06-08-2015 at 02:05 PM.